PopCap Boss Says EA Won't Mess With It

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PopCap Boss Says EA Won't Mess With It

The CEO of PopCap says he doesn't expect Electronic Arts to mess around with his company very much because when you get right down to it, the new overlords just aren't very good at making casual games on their own.

For a number of years and not all that terribly long ago, Electronic Arts had a reputation for assimilating some of the finest development studios in the business, turning them into cogs in its machine and then disappearing them as soon as we stopped paying attention. It's spent the past few years trying to convince the world, with some degree of success, that it has mended its ways. One person who was convinced is Dave Roberts, the chief executive at casual gaming giant PopCap, which was recently acquired [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111607-EA-Buys-Peggle-Creator-PopCap-Games] by the publisher.

"One of the things I like about EA - and I don't think this was true of them a few years ago - is that they care about games very passionately. I think they lost that for a while," Roberts told The Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/jul/26/popcap-ea-was-a-good-fit]. "The EA of four years ago was the EA that was arrogant and didn't really give a shit about games. At some point though, and I personally didn't even notice this about EA until around last year, but things had changed. EA was different; people were actually excited about their jobs again, and I don't think that had happened in a while."

As for the threat of assimilation, Roberts doesn't seem worried. "Every indication is, that EA like us as we are," he said. "They've not really proven to be very good at making casual content, so there's no reason why they'd want to mess with what we have here."

EA does have strengths of its own, however, and PopCap will be taking advantage of them. Roberts said that prior to the acquisition, PopCap employees would often be handling multiple jobs rather than focusing on a specific task, but with EA's massive resources as its disposal, that won't be an issue anymore.

"EA have set it all up so we get to choose which parts of our organization and workload that we want to integrate. There's no big EA mandate that dictates that we have to do things their way," Roberts explained. "Their attitude is more, 'Look, here's the stuff our organization can do. Let us know what you want and we'll figure it out'."

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I wonder if the employees of Bullfrog and Westwood Studios said something similar?

Time will tell I suppose

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
If memory serves, EA stated itself that all was going to be hands-off of Popcap. Guess it's nice getting the echo from the other side.

I wouldn't expect it to last forever. Popcap starts to slip in its sales, EA might decide some of its staff needs to help make the Smartphone App of Angry Battlefield.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
If Pop Cap is confident in them, I see no reason not to believe.
Maybe because this is EA we're talking about,you know. They are famous for having bad ideas in their later days,or do I need to remind you of the promotion campaigns of Dead Space 2 and Dante's Inferno?

In partially related news: Popcap made a new game for iOS made by a young boy with luekemia...and IT'S FREE! Let a little boy's dream come true today!

In Completely Unrelated News: I just noticed the Google+ +1 icon at the bottom of the article.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I do think EA has gotten better, but I think they need to put more distance from this reputation before I stop worrying about a relapse. However I have gotten a few EA games in the last few years that I really enjoyed so I've stopped shying away from anything with their name attached.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Eh, I won't hold my breath. I wonder if Bioware ever made a similar statement

Traipse

Jun 1, 2011
"They've not really proven to be very good at making casual content, so there's no reason why they'd want to mess with what we have here."

Given EA's track record, 'not really proven to be very good' at something apparently little correlation with how much they will mess with someone who is.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
theultimateend said:
Pipotchi said:
I wonder if the employees of Bullfrog and Westwood Studios said something similar?

Time will tell I suppose
and Maxis :(.
Poor poor Spore... Could have been so much more than toy, they butchered what they had shown in 05.

Also I bet that pic was made at gun point.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Well, EA acquired Westwood, and we all know what happened to Command And Conquer afterwords...

I just hope EA realizes that Popcap knows what they're doing, and leave them the hell alone.

Odd Captcha for this one, "Hand over fist".

Gunner_Guardian

Jul 15, 2009
I honestly think if EA is smart they'll let Pop cap make the good casual games and when they get their hands on final product, they port and market the crap out of it.

Pop-cap is comfortable with the PC but it usually takes a while for them to get all their hits onto iPhones, iPads, and other mobile devices where all the casuals are and afterwords they usually aren't the next Angry birds or whatever. With EA, they can port it and then market it right out of the gate.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
dyre said:
Eh, I won't hold my breath. I wonder if Bioware ever made a similar statement
What's wrong with Bioware?They made 2-3 great games after getting bought by EA.The fact that people want to ***** about some changes or think they are overrated is another question.They still make great stuff but they just have more resources now.

Despite their flaws and being noticably EVUL a few years back I have to say EA is my favourite publisher.THQ comes shortly after but they don't churn as many games and they kinda want to pretend they are top dogs when they aren't yet.I'm quite glad EA is working out for Popcap and maybe we'll see more great games especially if they are given enough creative freedom with the level of resources EA has.