Ubisoft's "Always On" DRM Is Back In Driver: San Francisco

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft's "Always On" DRM Is Back In Driver: San Francisco

The PC version of the upcoming Driver: San Francisco [http://www.amazon.com/Driver-San-Francisco-Pc/dp/B002I0HFBC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311783543&sr=8-3] will feature Ubisoft's much-loathed "Always On" DRM, meaning that if your internet connection stops working, so does your game.

In early 2010 Ubisoft Assassin's Creed 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98396-Ubisoft-Online-DRM-Its-Worse-Than-Expected] for the PC, which meant that nobody could actually play the hot new game they'd just brought home from the store.

An August move to Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102739-Ubisoft-Abandons-DRM-for-Steamworks-With-R-U-S-E] that it is indeed talking about the infamous "always on" DRM which will bring the game to a halt if the internet connection drops at any time.

The console versions of the game, Ubisoft noted, can be played offline.

In other good news, it turns out that the new Driver won't support steering wheels. "No steering wheel support at this time, as it didn't fit very well with the Shift gameplay and our specific handling," the company wrote in a separate tweet [http://twitter.com/#!/DriverGame/statuses/95753634020724736] that sadly does not go further to explain exactly how a steering wheel doesn't fit with a driving game.

I can't imagine what Ubisoft expects to accomplish by treating its PC customers with such utter contempt. The DRM may work, in the same way that slashing your tires will keep people from stealing your car, but that doesn't make it a good idea. And this, I'm pretty sure, is not a good idea.

Driver: San Francisco comes out on September 6 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, 3DS and PC.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
well... I don't have a problem with this, I mean, I already do have permanent connection

but still, what the hell Ubisoft

one thing is wanting to protect your products, another very different one is paranoia

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
Bad Ubisoft, very bad indeed. Stop trying to force DRM down our throats, it's more than annoying.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, this has gone far beyond nutso at this point.

I had no interest in your games, Ubisoft. And you've ensured I shall not buy from you again.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
teh_Canape said:
well... I don't have a problem with this, I mean, I already do have permanent connection
I'm sure there must be the odd micro-second now and then when your connection goes before reconnecting. Oh, and if their servers go down then you can't play.

OT: Fuck them then. I would have probably shown some interest after a bit of a price drop, but now they can suck my cock.

And let's face it, the PC version will be delayed after the console versions anyway. Why? Just because.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
^ Click on it,it's a really big picture and I didn't want to get in trouble for it.

I wasn't going to buy this game anyway though,so I suppose it's not my problem.

Markgraf

Apr 1, 2009
"The DRM may work..."
If it does, it'll be only a week until a crack is up. Doesn't Ubisoft remember that the Silent Hunter DRM was cracked before it came out? Needless DRM simply punishes the user. Pirates will always crack the game.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
Fasckira said:
Whats "San Franciscofr"? :p
It's a wonderful city in Arizona. Much better than that hell hole called San Francisco.

OT: It's official, Ubisoft hates PC users.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Woodsey said:
teh_Canape said:
I'm sure there must be the odd micro-second now and then when your connection goes before reconnecting.
slow downs, yes, but never an actual cut =P

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
People who suffer because of this: Paying Customers.

People who are unaffected by this after a week of hacking: Pirates.

Pappytech

Invested all my Souls into Res
Jun 7, 2011
Silly Ubisoft, that's not how you protect your products!

In all seriousness, this is a terrible idea that heralds nothing good for the future of gaming.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Andy Chalk said:
I can't imagine what Ubisoft expects to accomplish by treating its PC customers with such utter contempt.
Maybe they want to get out of PC gaming but their shareholders won't let them until PC sales fall under a certain level.

That's the only reason I can think of that doesn't involve lead paint being the beverage of choice at executive lunches at Ubisoft.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
teh_Canape said:
Woodsey said:
teh_Canape said:
I'm sure there must be the odd micro-second now and then when your connection goes before reconnecting.
If their servers go down, your game doesn't play. Their servers are pretty shit, by the way. And when this launched with Splinter Cell their servers were attacked as a form of protest. So people then couldn't play.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Woodsey said:
teh_Canape said:
Woodsey said:
teh_Canape said:
If their servers go down, your game doesn't play.
yeah, that shit happened to me during an Assassins Creed 2 round

now THAT was some shit

still, I agree it's a shit DRM they have going on

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Gun, meet foot.

Seriously, if they hate PC gamers so much, wouldn't it be a little bit easier to not sell to them?