Hilarious Oblivion Machinima Makes Great Case for Mods

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hilarious Oblivion Machinima Makes Great Case for Mods

Why walk across Cyrodiil when you can swim through the air or ride a magic zebra?

If you're in the market for an epic swords and sorcery game, then Oblivion might just be the game for you. If you're looking for something a little more left field, then Oblivion - with the help of a few mods - could still be the game for you, as "The Silly Adventures of Mr. Mochi," rather ably demonstrates.

The premise for The Silly Adventures of Mr. Mochi is fairly simple: a hero steps through a magical door, and is transformed into something ... different. From there, Mr. Mochi takes an extended tour of Cyrodiil, visiting its many lovely towns and villages, meeting new people, turning them into sheep or stealing their clothes. Notably, most of Mr. Mochi's powers and abilities are the result of mods, some cosmetic and others that tweak gameplay. There's no dancing, limbo or otherwise, in vanilla Oblivion for example, and definitely no swimming through the air.

The video is the work of YouTube user "The Ninja Cowboy [http://www.youtube.com/user/theninjacowboy]." In the description for the video, Cowboy Ninja said that he hadn't seen any Oblivion machinima that appealed to him, so he had decided to make his own. While the bizarre assortment of mods certainly helps the video's humor, the fact that Ninja Cowboy has a good eye for funny shots and used a great piece of music doesn't hurt either.

It's a shame that PC games in general aren't more accommodating to mods, as there's clearly a lot of creative and skilled people out there. Fortunately, Skyrim - Oblivion's successor - does allow mods, so Mr. Mochi might one day get to hang out with the Nords.

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/01/proof-why-mods-are-ace/]

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I am crying. The spongebob first episode soundtrack goes so fantastically with this. Oh man, I am actually crying of laughter.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Stuff like this makes me wish I had a computer worth a damn so I could use mods.

Feb 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
It's a shame that PC games in general aren't more accommodating to mods,
And yet D3 has already said "NO MODS". Someone should really take EA/Acti-Blizz out to the "shop floor" and point out that selling people what they want is better than selling them what they say they want.

In one word: Customization.

And that's not a euphemism for DLC.

yndsu

Apr 1, 2011
I saw it earlier today. And it is freaking hilarious !
Love it. Every second of. Great work.
And i do want to see more.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Saw it this morning or so. Something I saw before the Escapist?! WOOHOO!

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
I actually use lots of Oblivion and Morrowind mods and yeah, they make games better/funnier/prettier. This video made me lol, but I don't think I'll be dl these mods, I have too many already :D

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
So from watching this Im removing

Fable x Oblivion style game

from my hopes and dreams....

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
This is hilarious. I actually cried a little from the laughing. Also, so true that this shows how awesome Mods can be.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
Things Bethesda will add in as an Easter Egg number 1: Mr Mochi

He will be the new Daedric Prince of Madness

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I got Oblivion at the steam sale and haven't played it yet (Deus ex first, given human revolution is released before skyrim), any recommendations for mods?