Battlefield 3 Preorder Bonuses Revealed - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Battlefield 3 Preorder Bonuses Revealed - UPDATED

Retailer-specific preorder bonuses for the North American release of Battlefield 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Limited-Pc/dp/B002I0HJZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1312337342&sr=8-3] have been revealed, with skins, dog tags and DLC all up for grabs.

As you'd expect with a big release like Battlefield 3, the upcoming modern combat shooter from EA and DICE, there are preorder bonuses a-plenty for those willing to commit themselves to the game in advance. And as usual, what you get depends entirely on where you buy.

If you snag your Battlefield 3 from GameStop, you'll get the Physical Warfare Pack, which includes access to some pretty impressive firepower and special ammo, and a copy of the Prima Battlefield 3 Strategy Guide for members of the PowerUp Rewards program. Pick it up at Best Buy and you'll get the SPECACT Kit, a collection of eight new multiplayer skins that will unlock when the game launches. And finally, if you order through Amazon you'll get an exclusive set of multiplayer dog tags.

As we already know, all preorders, regardless of retailer, will be upgraded to the "Limited Edition" of the game, which will include the Back to Karkand [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109932-First-Battlefield-3-Expansion-Goes-Back-to-Karkand] DLC. And before you get too up in arms over the outrage of retailer-exclusive bonuses, bear in mind that the preorder goodies are timed exclusives, meaning that everybody will have access to everything as DLC at some point after the game comes out.

Battlefield 3 launches on October 25 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Source: BF3 Blog [http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/battlefield-3-us-pre-order-bonuses-revealed/]

UPDATE: There's one more seller with a preorder bonus that's worth paying attention to and that'd be EA's very own Origin [http://store.origin.com/store/ea/html/pbPage.battlefield3_US_LE?easid=Origin-Battlefield_Play4Free_PreOrder_Web_herobanner3_PreOrder] digital distribution platform. Gamers who preorder from Origin will get the Back to Karkand DLC, the Physical Warfare Pack, two exclusive Battlefield Play4Free items and early access to the Battlefield 3 open beta in September. Not a bad deal, and certainly not a bad way to turn a few eyes toward Origin.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
I'm inclined to go for the skins, because I'm a sad sad human being, who cares about such things.

Apr 28, 2008
It was also revealed a while back that the Strike at Karkand DLC would be free some time after the game's release. Let me find the article real fast...

Apparently I was wrong. Completely. It will be available for purchase at a later date, and not for free, according to the Battlefield 3 Blog.

Well balls. I'm rather sad now.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Having maps as preorder bonsues seems kinda dumb, a great way to split your player base from day one and really mess with the multiplayer experience.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I feel like the amazon one just kinda sucks. Maybe because I couldn't care less about random dog tags that mean nothing.

Maybe I'll just order it online from Gamestop. That would probably work.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
EA is pretty good about giving out the bonus to all the retail here: Walmart.com, Best Buy, GameStop, Amazon, and Target

I wish all publisher would recognize online sites like Amazon and Wal-mart and not just GameStop and Best Buy.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
I'm inclined to go for the skins, because I'm a sad sad human being, who cares about such things.
The SPECTAT skins for Bad Company 2 were actually useful. Especially the Medic one that got rid of the big red hat that may as well have been a neon sign that read "Snipers, kill me first!". Our snipers always took out the red-hats first. Then we knew we were ok to assault.

Anyway, I just kinda default to GameStop for pre-orders, considering they are a video game retailer, and there are 3 locations within a 10 minute walk from my home.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I hate to actually support EA, but BF games are really the only thing from them I give a damn about. So..... who to buy from........ I'm thinking Gamestop since I have other stuff reserved there. Though, I wonder if Origin will have some kind of exclusive. Damn them for stupidly hating on Steam.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
of course when i finally pre-order BF3 and Skyrim my xbox decidies to break

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
I clicked this misreading it as being "battlefront 3" and I was almost the happiest ive been in days.... oh well........

OT I am excited for battleFIELD 3, it's nice to get stuff for preordering.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
If you snag your Battlefield 3 from GameStop, you'll get the Physical Warfare Pack, which includes access to some pretty impressive firepower and special ammo, and a copy of the Prima Battlefield 3 Strategy Guide for members of the PowerUp Rewards program. Pick it up at Best Buy and you'll get the SPECACT Kit, a collection of eight new multiplayer skins that will unlock when the game launches. And finally, if you order through Amazon you'll get an exclusive set of multiplayer dog tags.
Now I feel special knowing that I get all that because I pre-ordered from EB Games in Australia instead of 4 different stores having different things.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Yeah, this is getting slightly ridiculous. One consistent pre-order bonus I can understand, I don't like the idea of them sectioning content from the finished product to create it, but whatever. However, giving individual stores different bonuses, and in particular saving all the best for EA's own store is pretty much creating levels of stratification that completely ruins the very spirit in which a pre-order is supposed to be offered, ie: here is a reward for your faith in us as developers and publishers by choosing to order the game before you know whether it's good or not. Now it's 'yeah, you get a reward... but they get a bigger one because we like them better, and those guys get an even bigger one because they paid us directly and cut out the middle-man.' It's like Hellgate London's 'premium character' bullshit all over again, as if you paying 60 dollars already isn't showing them enough faith.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
And before you get too up in arms over the outrage of retailer-exclusive bonuses, bear in mind that the preorder goodies are timed exclusives, meaning that everybody will have access to everything as DLC at some point after the game comes out.
Thank you for clearing that up before the flaming started :)

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Zenode said:
Andy Chalk said:
Now I feel special knowing that I get all that because I pre-ordered from EB Games in Australia instead of 4 different stores having different things.
Same here but I "bought" it from Webhallen (Swedish) and it only costed me 400kr so 100kr less then from origin (100kr=11,31 euro)

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
UPDATE: There's one more seller with a preorder bonus that's worth paying attention to and that'd be EA's very own Origin [http://store.origin.com/store/ea/html/pbPage.battlefield3_US_LE?easid=Origin-Battlefield_Play4Free_PreOrder_Web_herobanner3_PreOrder] digital distribution platform. Gamers who preorder from Origin will get the Back to Karkand DLC, the Physical Warfare Pack, two exclusive Battlefield Play4Free items and early access to the Battlefield 3 open beta in September. Not a bad deal, and certainly not a bad way to turn a few eyes toward Origin.
Must be US only as UK Origin does not mention anything about early beta access.... Because of all of this it looks like there will be loads of people who have played the before it comes out in Oct. So since I cannot be there right at the beginning, I don't feel the need to pre order or even buy the game at launch. Will wait for the price drops some months later like I did for BFBC2. Good job EA.