Modern Warfare 2 Awareness Dips Without "Call of Duty" Name

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Modern Warfare 2 Awareness Dips Without "Call of Duty" Name

Activision's decision to drop the Call of Duty name from Modern Warfare 2 has cost the publisher a huge amount of brand awareness, according to tracking firm OTX.

Whatever the logic was behind Activision's decision to divorce the Call of Duty name from Modern Warfare 2, the move seems to be having some negative effects on consumers' long-term interest in the game. According to figures from tracking firm OTX that was acquired by Gamasutra, brand awareness of the title among gamers dropped dramatically after the "Call of Duty" tag was abandoned.

When OTX was tracking interest in the game as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, 40% of gamers knew about it. However, "once it became clear that Activision was positioning the title as Modern Warfare 2, OTX removed 'Call of Duty' from the consumer survey, and the awareness levels dropped to 20 percent," said Nick Williams of the GamePlan Insights division for OTX.

So, the Call of Duty name alone doubles the awareness of a game. This shouldn't be too surprising - it's been my impression that in common gamer discourse the first Modern Warfare is typically referred to as CoD4 more than Modern Warfare. But to see that the Modern Warfare name doesn't stand nearly as well on its own is a bit alarming - does this figure as a backfire for Activision?

According to OTX, Modern Warfare ranked high in its post-E3 consumer purchase intent rankings, but still trailed behind five other big titles, which isn't really a good indicator considering how many copies of Modern Warfare 2 Activision is saying [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92404-Modern-Warfare-2-Predicted-to-Sell-11-Million-Copies-in-2009] that it'll sell this year.

Of course, there's plenty of time before the game comes out, and judging by the promotional campaign Activision has already put on the game, Modern Warfare 2 might be more ubiquitous and powerful a brand than Call of Duty by year's end. Furthermore, despite the drop in brand awareness, Modern Warfare 2 is still faring well - it has the highest "pre-order intent" for any game right now, according to OTX.

"Even without the Call of Duty association, it is still perceived as a must have title," Williams said. I don't think we need to worry about Modern Warfare 2 not selling well. I just kinda miss the Call of Duty name. Oh well, makes my life easier. Fewer colons to type out.

[Via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24164]]

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Its not very likely someone who has heard off Call of Duty, and yet remained oblivious to Modern Warfare.

dodo1331

May 23, 2009
Good. That means we get less little kids who only recognize the game because it has Call of Duty stapled on the front.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
who didn't see this coming?

We all knew it would happen when it was first announced as Modern Warfare 2..

Most people who were hooked on the game never called it Modern Warfare, it was COD4.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Not too surprising. And Modern Warfare 2 does sound much better that 'CoD 4 2' or
'CoD 6'.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Sounds like the simplest solution would be to call it Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I'm not sure I trust that report. When I hear "Call of Duty" all I think is "oh god, another lame WWII game *sigh*". Modern Warfare 2 is more appealing. If they market it correctly, they can get past the CoD prefix and develop their own series.

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
I'm sorry I suffer from a condition I call "marketing-ese aphasia", making it so I can't listen to anyone who uses the phrase "must have" to describe a videogame.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I always thought of the first modern warfare as CoD4, the rest was just pointless subtext. I didn't really pay attention to it until it was announced that they were making it the title of the series.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Dropping the name seemed like a dubious idea from the start. Considering Call of Duty was first developed by Infinity Ward, you'd think they'd want to use the brand they created.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
maybe now they'll be less 12 year old racist homophobes on Xbox Live since they didn't know CoD 6...err, Modern Warfare 2 was out

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
I'm glad they dont have the CoD in the name anymore, it helps them separate themselves from the shitty games treyarch makes.