id Wants To Give You Doom 3's Source Code

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
id Wants To Give You Doom 3's Source Code

If you've been looking to get your grubby little hands all over id Software's source code for Doom 3, John Carmack has some good news for you.

John Carmack is apparently a big fan of helping his fans out. As a result, the man in charge of id Software has revealed that his studio is going to release the source code for Doom 3 to the general public. However, exactly when this year he plans to release the code isn't entirely clear yet.

Speaking at Quakecon 2011, Carmack announced the decision and stated thatZenimax (id's parent company) was actually supportive of the code's release. He also reportedly challenged other studios to release source code for their games, "arguing that it helps the community."

Doom 3's source code won't be released until the launch of <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Rage-Xbox-360/dp/B00354NAYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312868883&sr=8-1>Rage (which is due out October 4th). How soon after Rage's release hasn't been revealed, yet. Meanwhile, Carmack also that Id Tech Five (which is used on current games) will be released when id is no longer using it for official projects, though "this could be as long as ten years away."

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-08-05-id-software-to-release-doom-3-source-code>GamesIndustry.biz

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
vansau said:
If you've been looking to get your grubby little hands all over id Software's source code for Doom 4, John Carmack has some good news for you.
Hey um,wrong number there buddy.

OT:I guess this is cool for those who can use it to make things,as for me,I guess it'll be cool to see what others are able to make with it.

Schmittler

Aug 4, 2010
I believe you mean Doom 3 in the article description. :)

EDIT: Ninja'd on the correction. I love how the Escapist's community is efficient with noticing details.

OT: This is a good thing.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Bit sad that zenimax doesn't license out carmacks brilliant engines right of the start but I can see why they don't do it. Going to be fun to see what modders plan to do with the source code of doom 3.

Edit: Can you fix the space between: thatZenimax . It´s driving me nuts ._.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Ugh, yeah.
Alphakirby said:
vansau said:
If you've been looking to get your grubby little hands all over id Software's source code for Doom 4, John Carmack has some good news for you.
Hey um,wrong number there buddy.

OT:I guess this is cool for those who can use it to make things,as for me,I guess it'll be cool to see what others are able to make with it.
Ugh, yeah. It looks like it didn't cycle out of the cache before the article went live *rolls eyes*

Seems like it's working now, though ¬¬

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I wonder what overhaul mods will come out for Doom 3 now then? Could be interesting to keep an eye on this.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Are we talking about the id Tech 4 engine, or the source code of the game itself? If it's the latter, then I'd find it really hard to give a shit about a cookie-cutter FPS that came out seven fucking years ago.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
kebab4you said:
Bit sad that zenimax doesn't license out carmacks brilliant engines right of the start but I can see why they don't do it. Going to be fun to see what modders plan to do with the source code of doom 3.

Edit: Can you fix the space between: thatZenimax . It´s driving me nuts ._.
I will say one of the first thing will be a flashlight mod, not that there is not already plenty of these, but hey none are build with the source code. =p

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
This is interesting - Doom 3 is rather old, but hey, you never know what modders can accomplish if given the opportunity.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Scrythe said:
Are we talking about the id Tech 4 engine, or the source code of the game itself? If it's the latter, then I'd find it really hard to give a shit about a cookie-cutter FPS that came out seven fucking years ago.
I don't think it was cookie-cutter. Perhaps baking-tray or novelty-cake-tin, but not quite cookie-cutter.

It's a bit late, but the graphics for Doom 3 weren't too bad and run fine on my laptop, so I hope to see some more games using the engine.

]DustArma[

Mar 11, 2011
Have you guys seen what modders did with the Quake 1 source code? One of the engines, Tenebrae got Quake 1 to look like Doom 3, which is quite a feat for an engine released in 1995.

I do hope however that they include MegaTexture inside the source code.

Scrythe said:
So sci-fi shooters that attempts (YMMV if it succeeds) to create a survival-horror atmosphere is "cookie-cutter" now? Really?

I really hope you are being sarcastic there.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Scrythe said:
Funny me I easily see potential even if just the game source code, which the modder will probably make even more cookie-cutter, by returning to the game to it root by making it more like the original Doom and quite likely on a difficulty level equivalent to Final Doom.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
DustArma[]Have you guys seen what modders did with the Quake 1 source code? One of the engines, Tenebrae got Quake 1 to look like Doom 3, which is quite a feat for an engine released in 1995.

Scrythe said:
So sci-fi shooters that attempts (YMMV if it succeeds) to create a survival-horror atmosphere is "cookie-cutter" now? Really?

Funny in the case of Doom I don't see cookie-cutter has an insult, for Doom need to be a cookie-cutter, it the grand-daddy of most FPS, so it is part of the series duty to make sure all the cookie are well cut. =p

P.S. Sorry for double posting, though someone would have posted something else before I hit post.

]DustArma[

Mar 11, 2011
iniudan said:
DustArma[]Have you guys seen what modders did with the Quake 1 source code? One of the engines, Tenebrae got Quake 1 to look like Doom 3, which is quite a feat for an engine released in 1995.

Scrythe said:

Funny in the case of Doom I don't see cookie-cutter has an insult, for Doom need to be a cookie-cutter, it the grand-daddy of most FPS, so it is part of the series duty to make sure all the cookie are well cut. =p
Too bad it looks like he meant it as one, if I learned something from lurking this board is that anything that is similar to anything else is derided for being a cash-in clone with no soul.

Also, FPSs are to be hated at all times.

Ironically, one of Doom 3's criticisms was that it wasn't similar enough to Doom 1/2

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Hm... I like this. Not sure what I'll do with it, but I like it. Maybe some modding, maybe using their engine to create a similar game... I'll let my creativity bud when the source comes out.

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
Carmack is just awesome. Sadly, the community doesn't use his gifts well. Sure, there's new and improved ports of all Doom and Quake titles for every platform under the sun, and there's a few fine new games like Urban Terror, Nexuiz, Xonotic, and OpenArena; but I can't think of any notable Free, story-driven, single-player FPS.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Sleekit said:
Scrythe said:
it will be both.

tbh you couldn't play one with out the other so its a kinda weird question given how you've put it :s.

this is basically the same engine being used in the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series to date.
Is that so? It's rather hard to tell since they all look the same these days.

Except for Black Ops. That one had an ounce more explosions than CoD:MW and MW2.