231: The Littlest, Biggest Gift of All

Generator

May 8, 2009
That's a wonderful idea! I'm glad it worked out for you and everyone was so pleased with it; it must have made all that time working on it truly worthwhile.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Lovely story. I wish my mum actually shared even an ounce of interest in my gaming life. Honestly, even if I created something as nice as this, and made it as simple as possible, assuming she would actually agree to pick up the controller, she would probably spend most of the time wondering what the knobbly little sticks were for, and finally give up after 15 minutes. It's a lonely life for a gamer in my family...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
You, sir, do not win a cookie. No- cookies, though magnificent, do not adequately reflect the awesomeness of this gesture. Instead, you get Christmas brownies. With M&Ms!

James Rednok

Apr 16, 2009
I basically did the exact same thing for my mother; except with a birthday theme. (As it was her Birthday.)

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
RiffRaff said:
And one more thing. What's the level name so I can play it? (Sure it won't have the same meaning for me, but I'd still like to give it a shot)

Hmm... you didn't make this up just so you can get Create gold trohpy? :p
The article says "My level would be different though - special and private" on page one... I assume that the private part means that the author didn't publish it.

And fantastic story.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Awesome work Mark! It's impressive and touching to see how much work you put into this.

Charcharo said:
Awsome story! But do you know if there is a game on the pc in which i can make this happen?
How about Fallout 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94444-The-Fallout-3-Marriage-Proposal-Mod]?

Witty-Name

Jul 12, 2009
That's an amazing story - I'm so glad that it all worked out for you.
Really makes me wish I could make the same sort of gesture (we managed to get my mother to try gaming once years ago but after several days playing 1080 Snowboarding on the N64 she stopped altogether saying that she had images of the game in her head whilst trying to get to sleep) but I don't even seem to have decent present buying instincts when it comes to my mum.

Mark Brown

Oct 21, 2009
Thank you for the kind replies.

Unfortunately I haven't published it to LBP's level database, but you can have a sneaky peek with the images in the article :)

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
you know, here in holland, that's the kind of thing we do for the holidays.
we dont celebrate Christmas as enthusiastically as the rest of the western world, we celebrate a holiday called saint Nicolas day, and when you buy somthing for someone, you make a poem for them, and if you want to something like you did

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
That was an absolutely wonderful and thoughtful thing to do for your mom, and a beautifully told story, too. :)

RoboPenguin

Apr 14, 2009
Way to make me feel like an unloving, uncaring grinch since I haven't even done anything for my mom this Christmas.

pumasuit

Aug 7, 2009
This is a beautiful story, and I imagine this is the kind of ideal scenario the creators of the game had in mind when they decided to add a level editor/creator into the game. We all know that gaming has the ability to isolate us from other sects of society, particularly from our families, but this stands as an excellent model of the potential videogames and unity. Thank you!