BioWare: Mass Effect 3's Weapon Mods Give Players More Meaningful Choices

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare: Mass Effect 3's Weapon Mods Give Players More Meaningful Choices

Everything from the number of weapon types, to the galactic economy has been tweaked in Mass Effect 3 to give the player more options.

RPG fans have welcomed the return of weapons mods to the Mass Effect series with open arms, but according to executive producer Casey Hudson, Mass Effect 3's [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004FYEZMQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313425559&sr=8-2 ] mods aren't just about making Shepard a more effective combatant, they're about allowing the player choose how he or she approaches a fight.

Hudson said that while the first Mass Effect had a weapon customization, it never felt as "real" as it could have done, and there weren't enough interesting choices to make. For Mass Effect 3, BioWare has added lots of new weapons, and lots of new modification types, and has also changed the way that the game's economy works to accommodate the extra depth in the mechanics. BioWare's goal, Hudson explained, was to give players the means to customize the game to suit their individual play style.

Even though numbers and statistics aren't really what add the RP to the G, if it's a choice between having them and not, plenty of RPG fans - myself included - will take option A every time. A lot of people missed having that mechanical depth in Mass Effect 2 and now it sounds like it's back with a vengeance.

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: Ripten [http://www.ripten.com/2011/08/14/dungeon-masters-rejoice-the-roleplaying-in-mass-effect-3-is-deeper-than-ever/]

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
So long as I don't have to sort through 3 billion rail extensions or ammunition types to get what I need, I'll be a-ok

TheBoulder

Nov 11, 2009
I want some examples as to how things change according to the weapon mods and some of the new ones they're adding.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Iklwa said:
So long as I don't have to sort through 3 billion rail extensions or ammunition types to get what I need, I'll be a-ok
Come on, who didn't like sorting through hundreds of "Explosive Rounds X"?

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Iklwa said:
Amen. A good way to add depth is to make the modifications matter in how you play and approach problems, not just have "Does 25% bonus toxic damage" increase to "Does 30% toxic damage." One or two mods per class, with actually gameplay differences, would be ideal. Say...a non-lethal underslung attachment or an underslung grenade launcher - which are mutually exclusive - and put depth into that "kill or capture" choice. THAT kind of choice improves gameplay.

Oh, the UI in ME1 was unwieldy and aggravating. Fix that, ASAP.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
fi6eka said:
Thank the lord.I was actually afraid they were gonna' dumb it down for the consols like the previous one.
Dumbed down for the consoles?...If I recall, ME1 came on the xbox first then on PC...Then again, I never understood the whole "dumbed down for consoles" argument.

Jun 11, 2008
I know that stats don't fully make a RPG but neither do pointless moral choices either. When a game advertises RPG features it is hard stats like a level system and not moral choices(yes I know technically every game has stats and roleplaying but it is done differently and more pliable in RPGS). It is nice to see it back though but in ME 1 it was kinda pointless I hope they make it have an impact.

Caine Master

Jul 16, 2011
I missed mods in Mass Effect 2. I just hope we don't get the same mod over and over again, that was the only thing I didn't like about the first one.

Are they going to have mods for armor also?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Considering I never once changed my equipment in ME2 I am looking forward to the step back. I'll probably not pre-order this time though.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
I guess this is Bioware's weekly "Mass Effect 3 Is Going To Be Good, Honest" press release. I kinda wish they would just let the game stand on its own, and that they'd do so in November rather than March. Delays make me sadface :(

Dominic Burchnall

Jun 13, 2011
Gotta admit, for ME 2 I did think it sucked a bit that the whole galaxy-wide arms industry was only able to produce 3 types of SMG, one of which was technically only a triple-action pistol. It'll be nice to actully get my hands on a nice big armoury.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
newwiseman said:
Considering I never once changed my equipment in ME2 I am looking forward to the step back. I'll probably not pre-order this time though.
Yeah. This does not make the case for not pre-ordering for me though. That choice was made with the travesty that was DA:2. Most likely the game will be great but I am never pre-ordering another Bioware game again no matter how they try to incentivise me to do so. If (and when I hope) ME3 proves to be just as kick ass as I imagine it will be I shall happily buy any extra content I would have got with pre-ordering. If they make the pre-order content exclusive they will just piss me off.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
As long as I can put various powered scopes on my weapons, I'll be a happy camper. Different ammo types would be nice as well. So would silencers and front grips on the weapons that bounce around a lot, like SMGs.

I'd like a nice 2-4x scope on my short/medium range weapon, and a good 6-12x scope on my sniper rifle. It's not that hard to ask for. Hell, I did that with my AR-15 and my Savage bolt action, I should be able to do it in a game.