Nintendo of Europe Hears RPG Fans' Pleas

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Nintendo of Europe Hears RPG Fans' Pleas

Two highly-anticipated Wii RPGs will arrive in Europe in 2012, but Americans may miss out.

It's good news/bad news time. The good news: The Last Story and Pandora's Tower, two Wii RPGs with a large cult following, have been confirmed for an English-language release in 2012. The bad news: An American release for the titles remains elusive.

The European localization of these games is largely a response to an extremely vocal fan campaign called Operation Rainfall [http://oprainfall.blogspot.com/], which began back in June. Their goal is to see the Western release of three highly-anticipated Japanese RPGs for the Wii: Xenoblade (already confirmed for an August 19 release in the PAL regions), The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower.

Now, the remaining two games will join Xenoblade in the Old World (and Australia), but American fans will have to hold tight. According to Reggie Fils-Aime (President and COO of Nintendo of America) during an interview with IGN, "We will be watching very closely what happens in Europe ... Certainly if there are business opportunities and positive consumer uptake from some of those titles, that will be great data for us to consider as we look at what to do with these titles."

Operation Rainfall should be commended for swaying the opinion of a corporate giant like Nintendo, but their work is not done yet. At this point, the games' European sales are probably the only thing standing between them and the shores of the Americas. European fans, take note: Whether these games see an American release or not is likely in your hands.

Source: Operation Rainfall [http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6329601/wii-last-story-pandoras-tower-hitting-europe-in-2012/?tag=newstop%3Btitle%3B3]

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I honestly think the games will probably fail. Europe has always been light in the RPG market and on top of it, the games are being pursued by a vocal minority, not a large segment of customers.

We'll see though. I personally am a member of the vocal minority that really wants to see these out here.

Euphbug

Mar 31, 2009
Oh come on Nintendo, if you're gonna give Europe those games why not just bite the bullet and let us give you our money.

Dec 14, 2009
You can't see it, but I'm laughing my arse off right now.

No really, it's great to see the US get screwed by game publishers for a change.

I've ordered Xenoblade Chronicles, hopefully it will arrive tommorow.

I'll shall see how interesting these other two games are closer to release.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Yeah, I really don't get why these games would be localized and then not sold in the US. You've already gone through the work, why not make it available?

But hey, does anyone know if the Wii is region-locked? If not, I very well may be ordering the European version of these and having them shipped over to me.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I'm gonna get these, just to see what the fuss is about, and also so that maybe Nintendo's arsey business practice will improve as a result. Can but dream, right?

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
deth2munkies said:
I honestly think the games will probably fail. Europe has always been light in the RPG market and on top of it, the games are being pursued by a vocal minority, not a large segment of customers.

We'll see though. I personally am a member of the vocal minority that really wants to see these out here.
plus it says 2012 and if it comes out around the time of mass effect 3 or any other big names in 2012 then there's no hope for it ever being in america

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

No really, it's great to see the US get screwed by game publishers for a change.

It's a different type of being screwed over, though. Europe gets screwed over by getting games released later for no reason. This is a case of the games not being released at all. And really, why take joy at someone being screwed over in the first place? It's not like we laugh or gloat about the late European releases. Well, the vast majority of us, anyways - being the internet there are undoubtedly a few jerks that do so. But surely you don't consider yourself to be their European counterpart?

night_chrono

Mar 13, 2008
lumenadducere said:
But hey, does anyone know if the Wii is region-locked?
If you haven't installed the homebrew channel to your wii yet, you fail as a person. Seriously there is no reason not to. Homebrew does a better job at everything that Nintendo ever tried to do.

the spud

May 2, 2011
lumenadducere said:
Yeah, I really don't get why these games would be localized and then not sold in the US. You've already gone through the work, why not make it available?

But hey, does anyone know if the Wii is region-locked? If not, I very well may be ordering the European version of these and having them shipped over to me.
Yes, it is, but it is insanely easy to mod. Not that I would condone such activities [sub]wink[/sub].

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Euphbug said:
Oh come on Nintendo, if you're gonna give Europe those games why not just bite the bullet and let us give you our money.
Exactly! Come on Nintendo, we're practically begging you to take our cash here!

Dec 14, 2009
lumenadducere said:
Daystar Clarion said:

It's a different type of being screwed over, though. Europe gets screwed over by getting games released later for no reason. This is a case of the games not being released at all. And really, why take joy at someone being screwed over in the first place? It's not like we laugh or gloat about the late European releases. Well, the vast majority of us, anyways - being the internet there are undoubtedly a few jerks that do so. But surely you don't consider yourself to be their European counterpart?
I had to import Chrono Trigger from the US in 1995.

That game wasn't officially released in Europe until 2009

You tell me.

I know that's an extreme example, but the cumalative amount of Europe being screwed over by release dates surely amounts to one or two games not showing up in America at all.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
While it's smart to wait for the consumer response, I'd still say that with Nintendo of Europe doing all the translating for them, it wouldn't be that costly to bring them to the US right now. Still, as a European, I'll take any chance I get gloating over you Americans with your early release dates and $60 dollar games. Here they cost well over $100..

May 25, 2010
GeorgW said:
While it's smart to wait for the consumer response, I'd still say that with Nintendo of Europe doing all the translating for them, it wouldn't be that costly to bring them to the US right now. Still, as a European, I'll take any chance I get gloating over you Americans with your $60 dollar games. Here they cost well over $100..
You forgot to mention they usually get delayed releases and that's if they release at all. I'll take any chance to gloat and if I hear any Americans complains, I ATTACK. They get more than enough. They don't get to complain.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
deth2munkies said:

Light in the RPG market? What on earth does that mean? I thought we were pretty well set, what with Gothic, Risen, Witcher, STALKER and Divinity.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Yes Europe totally gets banged...big time when it comes to this kind of stuff so sure it is about time for NA to get its fair share of action but thats just not the way we roll. NOA can bite my shiny metal ass for not releasing anything other than re(...)releases of games just about the whole gamer world owns 5 times over already. At this point I don't think giving it a release would even win me back. NOA you broke my heart so now my wallet is closed. I say good day to you!

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
night_chrono said:
lumenadducere said:
But hey, does anyone know if the Wii is region-locked?
If you haven't installed the homebrew channel to your wii yet, you fail as a person. Seriously there is no reason not to. Homebrew does a better job at everything that Nintendo ever tried to do.
So because I haven't bothered to look into anything unofficial in regards to the Wii I fail as a person? Well, thanks for that, I guess, but you may want to consider for a moment that people are *gasp* different and that not everyone has the same priorities and interests that you do. You may be able to guess, but I don't even know what the Homebrew channel even is. Guess it's something to look into, though.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
GeorgW said:
While it's smart to wait for the consumer response, I'd still say that with Nintendo of Europe doing all the translating for them, it wouldn't be that costly to bring them to the US right now. Still, as a European, I'll take any chance I get gloating over you Americans with your $60 dollar games. Here they cost well over $100..
You forgot to mention they usually get delayed releases and that's if they release at all. I'll take any chance to gloat and if I hear any Americans complains, I ATTACK. They get more than enough. They don't get to complain.
I actually edited that in right before you posted this :p
I think that's a little extreme though, everybody should get to enjoy these games.