Battlefield 3 Blows Away Gamescom Competition

RossRaymondEdwards

Aug 3, 2011
Battlefield 3 Blows Away Gamescom Competition

EA shooter takes show's top honor, leaves Jedi, Muppets in its wake.

Electronic Arts' Frostbite 2-powered FPS got a little more ammunition in the war to dethrone Call of Duty when Battlefield 3 was named the Best of Gamescom award winner Thursday by an independent jury at the German trade fair.

Battlefield is slated to hit store shelves October 25th, a little more than two weeks before the arrival of Activision juggernaut Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, setting up perhaps the most anticipated showdown of a crowded fall release lineup.

That was just the tip of the iceberg for EA, however, which added to its pile of accolades with nods for Best Console Game (FIFA 12), Best Online Game (Star Wars: The Old Republic) and, in a category new to the show this year, Best Browser Game (The Sims Social).

Sony was no slouch, either, making a splash with the PlayStation Vita handheld console, which took top billing in Best Hardware or Hardware Accessories. The publisher also won Best Mobile Game with Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Other winners included Diablo III (Blizzard Entertainment) for Best PC Game and the adorably-named Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) for Best Family Game.

Below is a complete list of award winners, along with their projected release dates and platforms in parentheses:

Best of Gamescom: Battlefield 3 (PC, Xbox 360, PS3; October 25th)

Best Hardware or Hardware Accessories: PlayStation Vita (early 2012)

Best Console Game: FIFA 12 (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PC, Vita, PSP, PS2; September 27th)

Best Mobile Game: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita; TBA)

Best Online Game: Star Wars: The Old Republic (PC; TBA)

Best PC Game: Diablo III (PC, Mac; TBA)

Best Browser Game: The Sims Social (browser; August 9th)

Best Family Game: Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster (Xbox 360; October 26th)

Source: Gamescom [http://www.gamescom.de/en/gamescom/presse/presseinformationen/gc_pressinformationen.php?aktion=pfach&p1id=kmpresse_gamescom_e&format=html&base=&tp=k3content&search=&pmid=kmeigen.kmpresse_1313587084&start=0&anzahl=10&channel=kmeigen&language=e&archiv=]

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
EA seems to be doing pretty well :)

Can't wait for both Battlefield 3 and Fifa 12 later this year, as well as many other games.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
No, good to see that it's doing well and hopefully the sales of mw3 won't be too good, which will maybe force Activision and IW to start making good games again and not just copy and paste them.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Beryl77 said:
No, good to see that it's doing well and hopefully the sales of mw3 won't be too good, which will maybe force Activision and IW to start making good games again and not just copy and paste them.
This made me very happy :)
Seems like some good games, and without having been there I can only say that it seems like the right games won. Would have liked to see a best cell phone game though, grouping them together with vita and 3DS while giving browser games special treatment doesn't really seem fair.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
honestly how did ToR beat GW2 as best online game?

I mean just look at this:

compared to this: (30:00 onwards, but the rest is also amazing! :D)

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
RossRaymondEdwards said:
EA shooter takes show's top honor, leaves Jedi, Muppets in its wake.
Damn, I read that wrong. I saw Jedi-Muppets.

How the hell do you beat Jedi-Muppets!?

A tale of Yoda's origin and training as performed by Muppets, starring Kermit the Frog as young Yoda.

I'd pay for that, wouldn't you?

OT: Battlefield will do fine, however many people are crazy brand loyal to Call of Duty so even if a better game comes along, it'll have quite a bit of trouble dethroning Call of Duty.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Wahey, this was expected, seeing how well it did at E3.
Latest trailer is awesome, cant wait for the game.

On a different note.
"Best Console Game - FIFA 12" WHAT THE FUCK ?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
While I am quite looking forward to this game, I just hope it doesnt descend into whats become of Battlefield 2, nothing but bunny hopping and gratuitous/verging on ridiculous grenade spam.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Wait so every prize went to either EA or Sony?

So much for competition in the games Industry

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I dont see guild wars 2 listed there so it must not have been in the competition

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
Korten12 said:

Maybe because the game is better than it looks.
Not trying to be a troll, but look at both. In the GW2 char opening zone, you go into a crypt and fight a GIANT boss, while in the other, he is going into a crpyt just fighting regular monsters. The gameplay is very wow-like (even if it doesn't have auto-attack) and looks all very samey.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Korten12 said:
Korten12 said:

Maybe because the game is better than it looks.
Not trying to be a troll, but look at both. In the GW2 char opening zone, you go into a crypt and fight a GIANT boss, while in the other, he is going into a crpyt just fighting regular monsters. The gameplay is very wow-like (even if it doesn't have auto-attack) and looks all very samey.
Looks can be deceiving.

I'm fan of what GW2 is doing but putting a giant boss at the start of the game is the wrong thing to do. A lot of what Guild Wars 2 seems to do is just echo these guy's philosophy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV97ozaD4v

Nothing is ever earned anymore. There's no rising action, starting simple or action curves. It's just an endless stream of "HERE'S THIS AWESOME THING" from start to finish.

We need that contrast though. Between the low points of a game and the truly excellent moments.
url didn't work and plus it is better see:

ToR seems to follow a simple design of most mmo's. Things get epic, in the end.

GW2 does Epic from start to finish because that's how it should be. If your world is in danger, you don't simply go around killing rats, you act. In the demo, the spirit, is causing the keep (or fort) trouble and needs to be taking care of. They don't say: Please kill so and so and then return to me. Becuase in a real fantasy world people don't do that all the time.

If there is a dragon attacking and you see people fending it off you don't say: Sorry, I am not high level enough to help you. In real fantasy, the world doesn't care what level you're. You should be able to act, and fight no matter what.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Baldr said:
Calico93 said:
On a different note.
"Best Console Game - FIFA 12" WHAT THE FUCK ?
Gamescon is a European convention.
Hey!
I resent that.
I'm English, or 'European' (i really hate it when people say that to me)
to you.

And i hate FIFA!
Okay fair enough pretty much every other people i know who has played games likes it...
But the majority of people are idiots!

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
i cant help but wonder how and why they choose the "best games" awards when none of them are out for the public in the first place. Who are the judges?

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
Cannot wait for this game... even though I won't be playing it on PC cause of the whole Origin thing...

PissOffRoth

Jun 29, 2010
Trololo Punk said:
Cannot wait for this game... even though I won't be playing it on PC cause of the whole Origin thing...
The River of Tears gets a little deeper.

This looks better than MW3. The only way I'll be buying MW3 is if I find myself bored of Battlefield 3 by the time CoD releases. I guess we'll see.