Rumor: Say Goodbye to Consequence-Free NPC Murder in Skyrim

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011

The families of your incidental victims may seek revenge for your crimes as you make your way through Skyrim.

Every adventure comes with a risk of collateral damage. Usually, this gives you licence to mow down as many NPCs as you feel necessary on the way to your goal without ever really being called out too seriously for your crimes against the population. Rumor has it, however, that things might work a little differently in Skyrim; the families of the innocents you murder could actually seek you out and exact their revenge.

Imperial Guards have always been a concern for the lawless in Elder Scrolls games, but according to EB Games Australia's Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=242689325769425&set=a.119672524737773.8312.107605795944446&type=1&theater], "if you kill somebody, a family member might wish to take revenge." If this is true, it could mean exciting things for the game. Equipped with the game's Radiant AI system (and maybe assisted by the brand new Radiant Story system too), NPCs could be given the ability to plot their retribution independently. Then, they might find you, just to remind you that this isn't Grand Theft Auto or Fallout. Things matter here. You killed their dad/brother/mom/sister, you fiend!

Assuming this civilian-generated revenge all works the way we hope, Bethesda might just have created a moral judgement mechanism that sounds a lot more realistic than the "Pariah/Saint" points systems used in many recent RPGs. By removing the grand sweeps common to these systems and making your wanton violence personal, they could remove the immersion-breaking loopholes (I mean, who didn't just keep giving the guy outside Megaton free water in Fallout 3 every time they stole someone's valuables?) that these systems afford you and offer a gameplay experience that's just that bit more realistic than its competitors. If this turns out to be true, the only other question that remains is just how you're going to explain yourself to the angry wife of that guy you accidentally killed three towns ago. Whoops?

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is due to be released on November 11, 2011.

Source: Gamesradar [https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=242689325769425&set=a.119672524737773.8312.107605795944446&type=1&theater]

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
I know what's going to happen...

Their to call the Dark Brotherhood on yo ass, and there is gonna be some smack down.

Seriously. I have a feeling that's how the Dark Brotherhood quest works. They call one on you, you kill the assassin and if you do you get an inviation to the order.

Chappy

May 17, 2010
I wonder if they will try to seek vengeance if you turn their relative into a Vampire...

I have an army to raise after all, can't be dealing with unhappy relatives all the time, it's wasteful.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Dyp100 said:

Their to call the Dark Brotherhood on yo ass, and there is gonna be some smack down.

Seriously. I have a feeling that's how the Dark Brotherhood quest works. They call one on you, you kill the assassin and if you do you get an inviation to the order.
I hope you're right, a wife with nothing to stab me with isn't going to be a challenge, a trained assassin will be.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
I refuse to read beyond this threads title, I'd like this game to be as new, surprising, and fresh as possible when I finally play it.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Hevva said:

The families of your incidental victims may seek revenge for your crimes as you make your way through Skyrim.
If they don't have an NPC named Inigo Montoya, I will be severely disappointed.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Eh..

Speaking what comes to mind here..

instant, world-encompassing "HALT CRIMINAL SCUM" for every guard everywhere for the smallest, insignificant little things (like touching a book) doesnt count as consequence?

What if i assasinate everyone with flawless stealth? How can they know (appart from a corpse where their dad used to be)? Why would the family members of a peasant familly hunt me down when i can mow down dragons? They woudnt stand a chance. Maybe they can hire bounty hunters (suicidal too, mowing down dragons, remember?) Plus bounty hunters kind of want to live to get paid.. no pay if they end up being turned to pulp by their target.

Id rather see ennemies -not- fight to death. Like running away, retreat, surrender than having more opportunities to add bodies to a pile.

Or more logically, people just -not- wanting to associate (no traders want to trade, npcs just dont want to talk) with me at all if it is widely known i murder random people everywhere... (so not a system where the whole planet know everything in an instant) or a big angry mob runs after me with the classic torches and pitchforks.

Anyway.. until i see it in action, its just possibilities.. i just hope it will be more deep than just killing random npcs.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Okay, so here's what this means to me:

If you kill an NPC, you won't get away with even just one murder. We're going to throw 100 more NPCs at you so you can kill the men, women, and children of the entire lineage, Bible-style.

However, if the "revenge" is anything like Gaenor from Morrowind then screw that. Dude was impossible to kill.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
shrekfan246 said:
Hevva said:

That, and if they don't say, "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die," or something along those lines, I will be disappointed.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
shrekfan246 said:
Hevva said:

That, and if they don't say, "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die," or something along those lines, I will be disappointed.
Oh, but of course. The two are inseparable, I believe. Hopefully it wouldn't infringe on any. . . copyright or trademark or whatever. Twenty-four years is a bit of a long time to still get angry over someone using your characters.

Captcha:

What, pray-tell, is a kezeco and why am I giving my first-born one to you, Captcha?

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
I wonder if the radiant system will take your familly into account in this?. if you kill a random npc will their familly try something with your familly kidnap your kids assassinate your wife etc etc. if you kill your wife will her relatives come after you?.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Ok...can this game come out tomorrow??? Please????

OT: This would be interesting. I hope they make it a challenge...

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"You killed their dad/brother/mom/sister, you fiend!"
When that happened I never needed to worry about revenge, because THEY would also be dead.
I killed nearly every NPC in Oblivion from the shadows, bwahahaha.

You know, because I don't like doing stuff halfway and because I could.
Same in Fallout 3 btw; pickpocket first, then kill for laughs.
Bloody Mess; best perk evarrrrr! :p

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
1) "STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM" was a consequence of murdering NPC's.

2) They managed to make it worse than telepathic guards?

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Civilian: "You killed my sister! Now I'm going to kill you!"
*charges with sword, gets blocked and cut down*
Dragonborn: "Self defence! You all saw that!"

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Dyp100 said:

That would be really cool actually.

Edit: I hope this won't involve them telepathically knowing who did it; that would suck.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
Hevva said:

I can see potential disaster if they do that.
Oh god, line after line after line after line after line after line after line after line after line after line after line after line after line after line after line i like cheese after line after line after line!

Anyway, isn't this old news?
I'm sure i heard something about this ages ago, but nobody seemed to give damn... anyway this is making me SOOO much more hyped.
And i'm already pretty hyped.