Screenwriter Wants Tyrion Lannister as Captain America Villain

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Screenwriter Wants Tyrion Lannister as Captain America Villain

Where do you go after you've played the prince-slapping scion of Casterly Rock? Well, if one guy gets his way, you play a giant, psychic head.

Captain America: The First Avenger has made hundreds of millions of dollars at theaters all over the world, making a sequel seem like a very safe bet. While some are talking about another World War 2 adventure, Last Avenger co-writer Christopher Markus has a very different sequel in mind: Peter Dinklage, perhaps best known as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones, as the bizarre high-tech villain MODOK.

In the comics, MODOK - which is an acronym of "Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing" - is the mutated technician George Tarleton. The mutagens used to create him gave MODOK incredible intelligence and psionic powers, at the cost of warping his body so that his head became too large for it to support. Because of this, he needs mechanical assistance to move around: an exoskeleton that MODOK has outfitted with all kinds of weapons to supplement his already fearsome mental abilities. MODOK recently appeared in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Markus said that he loved MODOK as character, and thought that it was possible to make a really good movie using him as the villain. He admitted that he hadn't been able to get many people to agree with him so far, but said that Dinklage might be the ace up his sleeve. "I will win you over to Peter Dinklage as MODOK," he said. "If he came around the corner and you saw him floating there you would be terrified. It would be amazing."

Sadly, as much as I would like to see the amazing Peter Dinklage get more work, I'm not sure that MODOK is a role that we will see him - or anyone else, for that matter - play any time soon. Like superhero costumes, MODOK is one of those things that looks great when Jack Kirby draws it in a comic, but doesn't look quite so good in the real world.

Source: Hero Complex [http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/08/27/captain-america-writer-how-about-peter-dinklage-as-modok/]

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
Oh my god, I think I just nerd gasam'd all over the place. I never once even begin to think that MODOK would even be considered for a film, much less have a well known actor potraying him.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
The mutagens used to crate him...
Crate him? Really?

Well, I can't really see how it would work, but if they can pull it off, fine by me.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
That's really not going to work is it? However, Tyrion Lannister is one of (if not the best) the best characters in ASOIAF and that guy needs more work.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
SomeLameStuff said:
Logan Westbrook said:
The mutagens used to crate him...
Crate him? Really?

Well, I can't really see how it would work, but if they can pull it off, fine by me.
It's typical. I spell "Lannister," just fine, and then trip up over "create." Thanks for pointing it out!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Hmmm, I wouldn't mind seeing MODOK in a movie at all. He was almost always a second string villain, so why not see AIM as a side player to Hydra in a future film. Of course, they do it on the current Avengers cartoon series as it stands.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Dude...That sounds like the kind of gamble I'd be willing to take. Not a gamble as in Lannister will be a bad pick for that character but, MODOK as a character would be hard as hell to put on the silver screen. He'd be a real CGI-Heavy character obviously and that doesn't always translate well into films. On the other hand it's fucking MODOK. DO EEEET!

Also...I thought MODOK was an Iron Man villain...then again with all of the cross-continuity I guess it doesn't matter...

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I would pay money to see that. I'll admit, I've never heard of MODOK before playing Marvel vs Capcom 3, but if his role in a Captain America sequel would be anything like that, I'd go for it. The CGI required to pull it off would require some work, for sure, but I'd be more than willing to give it a chance, were I in the proper position to say so.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I think he is better suited for grumpy in a live action snow white movie... god that would be fucking hilarious.

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
I'd rather he stay in Game of Thrones, if it was one or the other.. He's too good as Tyrion Lannister.

Nashidar

Jun 2, 2010
If he could do Game of Thrones and be MODOK that would be great.

It would be also be the best casting decision. He could so pull off the "Intelligent Villain".

In Game of Thrones - he portrays an intelligent character and does it very well.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Warp the forehead a bit and it looks about right. Can't get much better actually.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
A brilliant choice, if it actually happens. The actor did a brilliant job in Game Of Thrones, he's obviously right at home portraying intelligent characters. So yeah, I'd love to see this happen.