Extra Punctuation: Time for Gaming's Physical

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Time for Gaming's Physical

Realistic physics have come a long way, except for how game developers use them.

Read Full Article

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
I for one welcome wooly mammoth cold cuts.

Great points and those stealth/infiltration bits would make for great gameplay.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
I've been wanting this from a spy or heist game for awhile. They like to up the action in the genre - but the problem with action games is the sheer amount of mass murder your character is responsible for. Sure, it's self defense, but video game (and action movie) villains have a vast amount of wealth to pay for a private army progressively better trained soldiers.

Erik Prince doesn't have this much capital.

Hitman did something really well - it gave you less of a score for messy and unnecessary killing and destruction.

Javarino

Mar 15, 2010
I have a feeling that if Yahtzee was asked to game development meetings and developers actually LISTENED to his points, we'd be seeing a lot more unique and creative games on the market. Not to mention fun, so long as we don't get those silly processor explosions everyones worried about.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Imagine Minecraft 2000 but rather than sticky blocks it was actual particle physics like From Dust. It could allow for realistic metalworking like building of arbitrary molds from sand and clay then pouring in molten metal to make various useful objects. Or a before a bridge could be built it would need to be buttressed to prevent collapse. Or you could be in danger of caveins if you dug the support out from under a hill.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I kinda like that idea of escaping from a building being completely destroyed and you have to get out of it alive. What would really be cool is if it's like a huge castle near water and not only do you have to dodge debris but avoid drowning. The physics in that game would be incredible if done right. I'd imagine running around jumping from place to place would be close to Assassin's Creed gameplay, but hey, it would work.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I'm just waiting for a game that allows me to blow up the wall around the door that I'm supposed to open with a key.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Optimally, I think if you destroy things, it shouldn't be a "mission failed" either... it should continue the game with those details changed. And in the end, if you just blew everything up, bad ending, because your origination had no intelligence, hiding holes, or supplies... since you blew them all up.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Love the game idea about when it's prudent to not smash things, Mr. Y. I would actually profoundly enjoy such a game. The more options I have to get something done, the better.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I like the idea you're going for. Maybe there could be a game similar to that Wii game where you play as a spider and a scorpion, but you play a crab living in a huge sand castle. Only it was made too close to the beach, and now you have to get out before the high tide comes in and causes it to collapse.

The gameplay could be a mix of platforming, puzzles, and fighting other beach creatures all whlle the castle is getting more and more unstable.

I think it could work.

metalflak

Aug 30, 2011
Surprised given how often Yahtzee references Freud that he hasn't read about the "Death Drive" or the "Uncanny", says pretty much the same thing here. i.e. first that we've gotten to a point where we actually distrust how ordered things are, and long to dissolve back into the 'natural', entropic state, the ultimate version of which is death and decomposition. That's described in Beyond the Pleasure Principle, Uncanny talks about how we still have all these little superstitious distrusts of the 'civilized' world and half expect it to come crashing down. Actually, I think a lot of gaming references these two ideas, both in violence and in 'creepiness'/magic/'karma'-luck, and of course the whole idea of destroying things/dying and having backup 'lives' in order to help us deal with/deny the reality of our own impending death.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
You'd have to be careful implementing a game like this, because the slightest mis-step could send the game into a fail state. Even things like saving and loading, or subtle differences in processor speeds between users could render a scenario solvable on one player's system but impossible on another's.

It should be noted that this is already an issue for some Flash 2D collision engines, and the solution among flash developers is generally use the most advanced physics engine possible, dumb the graphics down as much as possible so you can devote more processor time to physics, make your world as simple and self-contained as possible, featuring only enough physics objects to depict the important gameplay elements, and do a hard reset at the start of each level.

In other words, don't expect this in AAA first-person shooters any time soon. Mainstay features like saving and loading, ragdoll corpses, large levels, and outdoor sections would all cause problems. The best we can probably hope to do at this point is a game like Portal. One box, one button, a few moving objects, a definite Start and Goal.

If it seems like most hardcore shoot 'em ups only use physics as a special effect, this is why. If a special effect fails, the game still works.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Yahtzee, there's a game you might very much enjoy called Dishonored. I highly doubt you actually read this comments, and it doesn't actually have destruction, but you reminded me of it. Basically, everything you described in this column short of destruction (which was a key component, admittedly).

Anyway, it's sort of a Victorian steam-punk affair where you use stealth, gadgets, and magical powers to... do shit, I suppose. I'll let the good folks at Game Informer do the rest of the talking: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dishonored/b/xbox360/archive/2011/07/11/getting-to-know-dishonored.aspx

From my half-remembered readings of things you've written previously, it sounds right up your alley. If Thief and Sherlock Holmes had a baby it would most likely resemble this game and almost certainly be able to write a better x meets y. It actually doesn't resemble Sherlock Holmes in anything but setting, but I couldn't say Thief twice, could I? Deus Ex, maybe.

Fuck it, now I'm rambling. More people should know about this game, is my point.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Well, you don't really need all the fancy physics parading to melt a computer. Just one badly coded line and there you go. Case in point: Starcraft 2 menus.

cydvis

Mar 2, 2011
Worms don't really have "physics" like the ones today, but it can include some kind of "i shouldn't destroy everything or i'm doomed" gameplay mechanics.