Deus Ex Studio Augmented with 350 New Jobs

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Deus Ex Studio Augmented with 350 New Jobs

Canadian government grants funds to Eidos Montreal for the studio to double in size.

Governments have a love/hate relationship with videogame companies. On the one hand, games corrupt the youth, but studios are also a great source of the high-tech jobs that voters want in their region nowadays. Perhaps the latter is why Quebec bestowed a grant for $2 million CAD ($2,044,430 US) for Eidos Montreal to grow the studio by adding 350 new jobs. The studio recently shipped Deus Ex: Human Revolution - which people seem to like [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9084-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Review] - but that likely didn't have much to do with Quebec's decision to fund the company as bureaucratic legislation needs just as much time to develop as games do. The grant stipulates that 100 jobs be added by the end of 2011 and an additional 250 positions created by 2015.

Eidos Montreal is also working on Thief 4 and an unannounced game with a new IP, but they will probably be able to tackle more projects given this expansion. The influx of cash will make Eidos Montreal the third largest studio in the French Canadian city, behind Ubisoft Montreal and EA Montreal, but the deal further crystallizes the area as a hotbed for game development.

Square Enix, Eidos Montreal's publisher, was not involved in the grant, but I'm looking forward to the studio using its windfall of new resources to make some awesome freaking games.

The bar has been set with Deus Ex: Human Revolution and this $2 million grant, Eidos Montreal. Lets see what you got.

Source: CVG [http://lapresseaffaires.cyberpresse.ca/economie/technologie/201109/01/01-4430609-jeu-video-350-nouveaux-emplois-chez-eidos.php]

MajorMurray

Aug 29, 2011
Well look at that, some good people made a good game and now there are more good people making more good games.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Good for them! I bought Human Revolution on a whim and I'm loving it, so if this improves the experience even further, right on. Canada's really expanding with video games and animation. I was hoping to stay in the States, but maybe there's maple leaves in my future after all...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
If they pull Thief 4 off too they'll be able to flip their dicks out with the best of them.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Glad to hear something other than 'X Studio laying off people' for a change, especially when its the studio that made Deus Ex: Human Revolution we're talking about - because man am I loving the hell of at the moment.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Oooh, "unannounced game", huh?

With that hanging in the air and Thief 4 around a couple corners we'll see if they've really got it in them or if Human Revolution was just a stroke of luck.

Time will show

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
So it's the Quebec provincial government passing out the grant, not the Canadian federal government. Headline's a bit off.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Holy shit yeah! That's awesome, and as it was mentioned a nice change of pace from all the laying off that's been happening. Certainly another cause for celebration among the Eidos Montreal staff.

Go, go, Gadget Thief 4!

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Ooh, great! Now maybe we'll see the Deus Ex/Inspector Gadget crossover that Critical Miss prophesized!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Please tell me some of that money is going into mo-cap and animation. Deus Ex was beautiful, but the way that that people moved during conversations threw a bucket of cold water over me every time.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Woodsey said:
If they pull Thief 4 off too they'll be able to flip their dicks out with the best of them.
Tzekelkan said:
Holy shit yeah! That's awesome, and as it was mentioned a nice change of pace from all the laying off that's been happening. Certainly another cause for celebration among the Eidos Montreal staff.

Go, go, Gadget Thief 4!
Don't you mean Thi4f? Or is it Th4ef?

Raven_Operative

Dec 21, 2010
Falseprophet said:
So it's the Quebec provincial government passing out the grant, not the Canadian federal government. Headline's a bit off.
Quebec gets the vast majority of its funds FROM the federal government. they don't make enough money from taxes, so the Government has to help keep them afloat by shoveling large amounts of money their way. Therefore, the Feds did supply the money that was then in turn given to this game studio.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Woodsey said:
Tzekelkan said:

Go, go, Gadget Thief 4!
Don't you mean Thi4f? Or is it Th4ef?
Fuck! You made me remember that. Well, maybe with 350 more people around they'll realize how stupid it is. That or immediately start production on D4us Ex: Spelling Devolution.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Wish they got this before Deus Ex was finished so it could become a greater game than what it ended up being. I like the game, but it had so much more potential to be a master piece if they did not cut funding.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Yay for my neighbors across the river. I wonder if any Ontario developers will get any grants like this.