Sony Bringing Out Ugly Uncharted 3 Controller

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Bringing Out Ugly Uncharted 3 Controller

Really big Uncharted 3 fans can now get a controller with a map on it to show their devotion.

Sometimes, game-themed controllers look really, really good, but other times they don't look quite so hot. Sadly, this new Uncharted 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-3-Drakes-Deception-Playstation/dp/B004EQCCI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315309427&sr=8-1]-themed DualShock 3 controller - with its tan and brown color scheme - falls into the latter camp.

The front of the pad features a map design, with the compass rose surrounding the d-pad, a smattering of mountains and coastlines across the pad's face, and Nathan Drake's ring on the right handle. The design makes sense considering the game is all about exploration and discovering lost cities in the desert, but it really isn't pretty to look at.

You'd have to really like Uncharted 3 to want to pick up that pad, especially because it's literally just a regular DualShock 3 with a new color scheme without any other features. At the moment, the controller has only been announced for Japan, but it's hard to imagine that it will stay that way.

Uncharted 3 comes out for PS3 on November 1st. The pad comes out in Japan on November 2nd.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5837459/japan-gets-official-uncharted-3-control-pad/gallery/1]

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
O_O

Eww, what the hell is that thing?

Why on earth would you pick this up anyway? Do people waste that much income on getting a crappy extra controller just because it has ugly designs?

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Unless they're bundling this with some exclusive, awesome copy of Uncharted 3 with more goodies than this, there is no way any sane person will want this.

Even the Master Chief helmet from the Halo 3 Legendary Edition was a better sell than this... thing.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
If this article asked me to guess what theme this controller is, I'd pick LOTR. One does not simply, create a controller skin and expects it to make itself look good... into Mordor.
How many people actually go for this stuff anyway? Because I've never seen a themed controller or mouse that looks good... ever.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
The most hilarious thing is you could market it as a Da Vinci game or a Lord Of The Rings game controller without skipping a heart-beat. It's so impersonal and ugly, it's really like Robert Kotick generally (I couldn't resist, I'm sorry).

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
I'unno, I reckon in the right kind of room set down on the right kind of coffee table that could actually look pretty cool. At least it's timeless, which is more than you could say if it just had "UNCHARTED 3" blazed across it.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Eergh, looks like it needs a wash, maybe if they made a dualshock controller out of hardened papyrus then they'd have something. That thing looks like it's spent too much time in a swamp.

Darkstorm13

Aug 2, 2010
I'd buy it. Not especially just for the sake of having it, but if I needed a controller I'd rather have that than a plain black one

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Valagetti said:
If this article asked me to guess what theme this controller is, I'd pick LOTR. One does not simply, create a controller skin and expects it to make itself look good... into Mordor.
How many people actually go for this stuff anyway? Because I've never seen a themed controller or mouse that looks good... ever.
Then look up the Tron ones. Both the Wii and 360 looked amazing.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Well, when it doesn't sell and is marked down to get rid of the overstock, people might buy it then. If sold separately for $30 instead of the usual $60, it'll probably sell decently well.

With a couple of coffee and chocolate stains on it, it'll look like desert camouflage.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
EHKOS said:
Valagetti said:
Then look up the Tron ones. Both the Wii and 360 looked amazing.
I have and thats why I said ALL of them look horrible.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
I actually think it looks better then most themed controllers. The Halo 360 controllers were terrible. They usually slap some full-color nonsense on there and try to throw in 13 different full detail things. They end up looking WAY too busy.

Quick Google search for the Halo 3 ones, Cause I'm not 100% sure on the site linking rules here.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm picking up Uncharted 3. Hell, I just paid off my pre-order yesterday. But I think I'll skip the theme controller.

Stubee said:
It looks ugly and boring at the same time. If you gotta make something ugly, at least make it stupid and exciting. Eg:

That controller couldn't be more metal if it was made of steel.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Meh, looks alright.
I've seen worse and i've seen better, i'm indifferent about this.
Still hyped for Uncharted and Resistance 3 though.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Wouldn't have been far better if they had just forgot about putting the map on, and made it a glossy, shiny gold. I would have bought one of those.

Mouse_Crouse said:
I actually think it looks better then most themed controllers. The Halo 360 controllers were terrible. They usually slap some full-color nonsense on there and try to throw in 13 different full detail things. They end up looking WAY too busy.

Quick Google search for the Halo 3 ones, Cause I'm not 100% sure on the site linking rules here.
I beg to differ. The Halo 3 : ODST ones were awesome.

Case and Point.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Valagetti said:
Weirdly, I thought exactly the same thing.