Ubisoft Forgets Multiplayer Codes in Driver: San Francisco - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Forgets Multiplayer Codes in Driver: San Francisco - UPDATED

It seems that Ubisoft forgot to include the Uplay Passport codes needed for multiplayer action in the Xbox 360 retail release of Driver: San Francisco.

Oh, Ubisoft. It's almost at the point where I'd actually start to feel sorry for you, if your efforts to impose DRM on everything in sight weren't so loathsome. Instead, I'll settle for a vague sense of bewilderment at your preternatural talent for botching the job, which has manifested itself most recently in the Uplay Passport multiplayer codes that were meant to ship with the recently-released Driver: San Francisco [http://www.amazon.com/Driver-San-Francisco-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H8R8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315323706&sr=8-1] but, for reasons currently unknown, did not.

Driver: San Francisco is the first game to incorporate Ubi's Uplay Passport scheme [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111674-Ubisoft-Prepares-Uplay-Passport-UPDATED] and while the European launch of the game on September 2 went off without a hitch, the retail version of the Xbox 360 version in NTSC regions - which is to say, North America - includes a Uplay Passport code to unlock DLC but not the multiplayer mode. Because of that, those who purchased the game only have a 48-hour trial period to play the game online.

And what's Ubisoft going to do? The publisher told Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/06/driver-san-francisco-missing-uplay-passport/] last night that it would release a statement today to "clear everything up in regard to the Uplay Passport codes and Driver: San Francisco," but so far nothing more has been forthcoming. And while it's not a complete train wreck yet - the trial period gives Ubisoft a window of opportunity to fix the problem with no harm done - it is kind of amazing how Ubisoft manages to keep tripping over its own DRM feet. It's like a curse or something.

We've reached out to Ubisoft about its plans to remedy the situation and we'll let you know what we hear.

UPDATE: And this is what we hear. Ubisoft will be providing the Uplay Passport for Driver: San Francisco free, to all players worldwide. The company explained the situation with the following statement.

Due to a printing error on the insert of some copies of Driver: San Francisco in North America, Ubisoft has elected to provide the Driver Uplay Passport content for free. Although this problem does not affect players outside of North America, we have decided to mirror this offer worldwide in order to be fair to all our players.

When you begin Driver: San Francisco, you are prompted with the Uplay Passport menu. The menu has 4 options: "Purchase Uplay Passport," "Activate my Uplay Passport," "Start my 2-Day Free Trial," or "Remind Me Later" There are two ways to access these online features:

1. Select Start My 2-Day Free Trial, which will not expire, OR

2. Select Purchase Uplay Passport, which will be provided at no charge.

Either option will unlock the 11 multiplayer modes and the Film Director feature on console titles with Uplay Passport.

Visit http://Support.ubisoft [www.uplaypassport.com/DRIVER]

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Good lord, what the hell is happening at Ubisoft HQ?
Are all the talented people just committed to their post-it note war, leaving only the inept to run the company?

Missing UPlay codes, Settlers 7 not being playable the first weekend because of the always-on DRM not connecting to their servers, random service outages and the whole From Dust DRM fiasco and that's just been in the last few months.

They really need to take time to organize.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Careful Ubi,
MS might not want your games on the 360 anymore.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112562-Microsoft-Doesnt-Want-Sonys-Sloppy-Seconds
LOL. just kidding. We all know they're full of shit.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
Wow, 2 news articles about massive screwups on newly released games in a row! bad day to release a game.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
The best way to prevent piracy for online play is to not let anyone play online... Genius!

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Wait, you can only play the online mode for ... 48 hours? Wait, what?

I ... I don't even know what kind of reaction face/video would go with this? Captain Picard Facepalm? "You Serious?" video? Nyan Cat? Or maybe a compilation of every meme face?

My brain melts as I try to figure out: 1.) Who's idea was this? And 2.) Who thought this would be a good idea?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
...I'm kind of confused...doesn't this game have local multiplayer? Oh well, I didn't buy the game and I won't be due to a lack of interest in the franchise so I'll continue being uneffected by this. I was just curious about the multiplayer thing.

Nov 28, 2007
The Virgo said:

I ... I don't even know what kind of reaction face/video would go with this? Captain Picard Facepalm? "You Serious?" video? Nyan Cat? Or maybe a compilation of every meme face?

My brain melts as I try to figure out: 1.) Who's idea was this? And 2.) Who thought this would be a good idea?
I've got you covered.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
What? 48 hours trail on multiplayer? What the hell is that crap?! Who came up with that incredabliy stupid idea.

It's like you have to pay 10$ for every bullet you shoot in any FPS game online.
What do you have to do next? Voice print, Eye and DNA scanner everytime you start up your game?

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
thebobmaster said:
The Virgo said:

I've got you covered.

the price is WRONG, *****!

But yeah, Uni are becoming the worst company. Like, Activision are deliberately monetising the life out of everything, but at least their games are still playable.

Uni just seem to be imploding. Yet I still gave them my moneys for trackmania 2. Why did it have to be Ubi who bought Nadeo ;-;

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Now if they add 2 and 2 together, they might end up with one simple truth:
All those DRM related incidents cost them more then just accepting piracy and getting players to buy their games through promotions instead of restrictions.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
AC10 said:
Good lord, what the hell is happening at Ubisoft HQ?
Are all the talented people just committed to their post-it note war, leaving only the inept to run the company?

Missing UPlay codes, Settlers 7 not being playable the first weekend because of the always-on DRM not connecting to their servers, random service outages and the whole From Dust DRM fiasco and that's just been in the last few months.

They really need to take time to organize.
No they don't. All they have to do is drop this useless DRM bullshit. It's only hurting them and legitimate customers.