Slavery Game's Mystery Finally Solved

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Slavery Game's Mystery Finally Solved

You may be surprised to learn just what Slavery: The Game was advertising.

We were baffled when we saw the trailer for Slavery: The Game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112777-Mystery-And-Controversy-Surround-Slavery-The-Game], which suggested that players would be able to discipline and exploit slaves with a variety of weapons, hearkening back to a time when white Europeans ruled the world, and many of the people in it. The premise seemed too outlandish to be a real game, but the trailer's true intent remained a mystery. Now, a Dutch filmmaker has revealed the truth: The trailer was part of a viral marketing campaign for an upcoming documentary about slavery in the Netherlands.

Lyangelo Vasquez, one of the researchers behind the project, spoke with Gamekings, a Dutch gaming site with a presence on MTV and revealed his intentions. "[We wanted to] attract the attention among a younger crowd," said Vasquez. "It's a bad part of history, and people don't like to talk about it." Vasquez went on to discuss how Dutch schools often gloss over slavery, and his desire to be proud of his Dutch heritage while acknowledging its past mistakes.

In retrospect, the one very small hint that Slavery: The Game was advertising a Dutch documentary was Javelin Reds Gaming, the company supposedly behind the game. "Javelin Reds" is an anagram of "de slavernij," the Dutch term for slavery.

Whether the trailer was a brilliant marketing stunt or a pillar of poor taste, it succeeded in getting people talking about slavery. When De Slavernij premieres, the numbers will determine whether it drew people in or pushed them away. The documentary will premiere on the Nederland 2 network on September 18, 2011 at 10:15 PM.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.gamekings.tv/videos/interview-slavery-the-game/]

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Anarchemitis said:
So I was right, the main "opponent" would be William Wilberforce.
Now I'm imagining him with a gatteling gun arm!
GOD DAMMIT DEUS EX!

OT: nice to know its not a game at least, although they could have said sooner...

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
Um...

" Lyangelo Vasquez, one of the researchers behind the project, spoke with Gamekings, a Dutch gaming site with a presence on MTV and revealed his intentions. "[We wanted to] attract the attention among a younger crowd," said Vasquez. "It's a bad part of history, and people don't like to talk about it." Vasquez went on to discuss how Dutch schools often gloss over slavery, and his desire to be proud of his Dutch heritage while acknowledging its past mistakes."

What the fuck school did he go to? I'm Dutch, and I was taught about slavery, including the shit the Dutch did, thoroughly and in great detail. I was Taught this in Elementary school, where they had us watch documentaries with pretty graphic depictions what what the slavers did. Shit, they even had us watch the movie "Amistad". Some of the scenes in that movie haunt me even today. What is this idiot on about when he says Dutch schools gloss over slavery.

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
We all already knew it was fake. Well I guess I'm not seeing that movie then.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
All they really attracted was one more reason to keep that younger crowd away from gaming as it's absolutely evil and will corrupt everybody.

That is the only thing that comes from this poorly thought out false-advertising.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I figured it was fake, but I do think it's an interesting viral marketing tactic. However, the documentary better be good if it's trying to attract "scandal" attention to itself.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
like already is stated, i was tought about slavery and what psrt my country had in it. even when is was like 10 they showed us documtaries.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
imnotparanoid said:
Anarchemitis said:
GOD DAMMIT DEUS EX!
That makes to me about as much sense as imagining Mother Theresa holding two bloody chainsaws.

It kind of defeats the purpose of the ideals they championed.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Clever, but I don't know how I feel about someone using games as viral marketing and having outlets think games are the devil again.

Way to throw games under the bus there buddy, wanna back it up and drive over it again?

Although I am relieved it's not a game, so there's that.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
That was a bad move. Gaming gets a bad enough reputation as it is, and trying to convince people that a game like that exists won't help anything. I doubt it will even make people watch the documentary either since it's so cryptic.

Keltzar

Jan 19, 2009
So lying about making something kind of related to what you're really making is marketing?

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
*wince* This makes me even more uncomfortable. My mother's side of the family is Dutch, and the furthest back she has traced her grandfather's family line is... a slave trader. Pretty sure that speaks for itself.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
well it WAS a pretty intense trailer...but a good idea? ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh idk

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
*shakes head*

There are some lines that even shock value doesn't permit you to cross, people....

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
falcon1985 said:
What the fuck school did he go to? I'm Dutch, and I was taught about slavery, including the shit the Dutch did, thoroughly and in great detail. I was Taught this in Elementary school, where they had us watch documentaries with pretty graphic depictions what what the slavers did. Shit, they even had us watch the movie "Amistad". Some of the scenes in that movie haunt me even today. What is this idiot on about when he says Dutch schools gloss over slavery.
I think he's talking about the schools of today.

Many schools in Holland these days even gloss over - or just completely ignore - the Holocaust, but that's a whole other can of worms.

btw. This isn't the first time Dutch media pulls something like this. A few years back they created a faux TV show called "De Donorshow" where someone could apparently win a donor organ. But in the end it was just a ruse to call attention to the of lack organ donors.

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
Anarchemitis said:
How awesome would you feel if your last name was Wilberforce? I did a report on him once but that is just an epic last name.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I never new The Netherlands practiced slavery.
the only dark history they discuss is the Dutch colonies in present-day Indonesia.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Anarchemitis said:
imnotparanoid said:
Anarchemitis said:
GOD DAMMIT DEUS EX!
That makes to me about as much sense as imagining Mother Theresa holding two bloody chainsaws.

It kind of defeats the purpose of the ideals they championed.
Wait, so my idea of re-booting Rush Hour with Ghandi and Mother Theresa as the main characters Isn't a good idea?!

Considering how big an effect Slavery had over our global society, it probably deserves more discussion....
I'm just not sure if a game counts.