Slavery Game's Mystery Finally Solved

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
And here I thought it would somehow be an advertisment for Dante's Inferno 2

Stay classy, guys. Stay classy.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
If a developer can pull off a AAA Title about Slavery (either RPG, Economy Simulator, etc) I would pay $60+ for it. Include many sexy Chicks that you can interact with, freedom to roam around and develop your kingdom of debt slaves(workers), gladiator slaves, sex slaves, and construction slaves. The world is yours, take it! Give it a mature Content rating and some beautiful art work and Ancient History, and you won't have that much backlash, and a few hundred million in the pockets.

If you need further marketing/investment inspiration for this idea, just look at the successful MiniSeries of Rome, The Tudors, Spartacus, and Camelot.

dracomanm

Nov 21, 2009
Having had to undergo quite the bit of education on slavery (including having to watch amnistad, which really isnt ment for 14-year olds, dispite the educational value), I think it might be a tad excessive, though kinda neccecary in a way, 'cause the talk about "them dirty foreigners/non-whites" is becoming too tolerated here (thanks mr Wilders...)

We may not be proud, nor like that's it's happened, but we can never forget what was done in those times.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
imnotparanoid said:
OT: nice to know its not a game at least, although they could have said sooner...
Which would have hurt the publicity they got.

Almost certainly why they didn't.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Up next, Slavery: The Musical!

Javelin Reds, the name of the company that was supposedly putting this game out is an anagram of De Slavernij. Which translates to "The Slavery" in Dutch. Interesting stuff, eh?

CAPTCHA: briefly off the Marc. No CAPTCHA, I am not off the mark.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
Great marketing, really.

And the Gamekings guys are probably celebrating their first international, eh, 'scoop' right now.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Anyone else disappointing that it wasn't an ad for a slave rebellion game? There have been documentaries and books about it but no game where you fight as a slave against your masters. The closest thing to it were Age of Empires The Asian Dynasties Indian campaign and even that was a poor Mengal Pandey knockoff and Red Faction.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Oh. Damn, I was looking forward to a business type game. Looked like it would have been fun.

Oh well.

Looked like the gameplay was good.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Pretty sure somebody out there is probably thinking "oh, well if this isn't real I guess I'll just have to MAKE this game myself".

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
henritje said:
I never new The Netherlands practiced slavery.
the only dark history they discuss is the Dutch colonies in present-day Indonesia.
The only countries who hadn't slaved lacked the opportunity.

Bad advertising but right intentions.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
*facepalm*

You know, I can think of many ways to advertise your product. This is not one of those ways.

If the Extra Credits were here, I'd like them to see this and give their opinion, though I'm pretty sure we could see it coming from a mile away.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
*facepalm*

You know, I can think of many ways to advertise your product. This is not one of those ways.

If the Extra Credits were here, I'd like them to see this and give their opinion, though I'm pretty sure we could see it coming from a mile away.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
The trailer was part of a viral marketing campaign for an upcoming documentary about slavery in the Netherlands.
Don't have much to say about the topic short of, every time I think of the Dutch nowadays I think about this scene in Deuce Bigalow:

Not that I hold anything against any specific Dutch... person.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Am i so wrong for being disappointed by the fact it won't be an actual game? I mean, all controversy aside, i think if done well, it could be interesting theme for a game. Sure the trailer was overdone, painting slavery as something to cheer for, but a darker, strategy-sim built around that specific issue would be something i'd like to play.

In a way The Sims is a slavery too... <.<

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Well for one I can't get the nederland 2 network and if its an exclusively netherlands network why the hell is the video in english?

Also I remember the last article on this the author said he put it in the anogram translator trying to figure out what the company name meant. Lol should have use one that knew dutch.