Minecraft 1.8 Leaked ... By Mojang

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Minecraft 1.8 Leaked ... By Mojang

Is it technically a "leak" if an alpha version of a pre-release beta patch is available early?

The unorthodox release schedule for PC gaming phenomenon Minecraft makes any discussion of leaks, piracy or beta tests a bit confusing. When most people first heard about Minecraft, the game was in its alpha stage, only reaching beta early this year. Fans of the game from Scandinavia have been anxiously awaiting the version 1.8 patch, known as the "Adventure Update" because it adds RPG features like NPC villages and a food system as well as more recipes and numerous bug fixes. The 1.8 patch was supposed to be live on September 8th, but was delayed. However, dutiful 4Chan forum-goers found a file on the Mojang website which seemed to contain the files for 1.8 this weekend, and Notch confirmed himself via Twitter that his right-hand man Jens Bergensten had uploaded the files for "expert users."

"Ooh, looks like 1.8 has leaked, not that I'd ever admit that. ;) Be careful when installing software you don't trust though," Notch said via Twitter. He then followed it up by asking for people who do play the game to report any bugs, "If you do use it, remember to report bugs, and to feel slightly bad."

Jens Bergensten, known as Jeb, is the project lead on Minecraft right now and he at least is aware of the strangeness of the situation. "Yes... People are beta-testing the beta :) The woes of having a beta game with millions of users," he Tweeted. "It's good that our most eager players have got their needs satisfied for the moment =) I feel a lot less stressed up now."

This morning, Jeb said he is continuing to squash any bugs that players are reporting for the leaked beta-beta test of Minecraft 1.8. "The current status of 1.8 is that I'm trying to fix the reported bugs of pre-1.8. It's hard to say how long time this will take," he said before giving a further hint on the status. "There wont be an update today, but tomorrow I will at least update the prerelease."

When will the final beta test of version 1.8 be done? Well, hopefully before Minecraft gets its final release at MineCon in Las Vegas this November. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112918-Attend-MineCon-Get-Alpha-Access-to-Scrolls-Cobalt]

Meanwhile, you can download the leak of 1.8 here. [http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre/minecraft_server.jar]

Source: Jeb [http://twitter.com/#!/notch]

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Maan I was really looking forward to 1.8 being released today! Urgh guess I'll have to wait a little longer. I really hope it's soon though - I don't want to go on Minecraft at the moment as building stuff seems pointless, seeing as the maps have to be regenerated for 1.8 to take affect.

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
I was kind of hoping for 1.8 today but if they are going to bug fix it more before an actual release then by all means go on ahead. I just hope bug fixing the pre-release doesn't take much time off the actual release because I'm absolutely happy just being able to play it when I was content with 1.73 for now.

I'd much rather them take their time and fix the kinks then just push it out because they said today was a possible release day for it. So I have to give Notch and Jeb credit for that.

1.8 is amazing, especially when I thought the game couldn't get much better than it already is, without mods of course.

standokan

May 28, 2009
A little late but I've got to admit, keeping up with twitter is nigh impossible.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I think this a good thing, because it was "leaked" early, it gives Jeb lots more time to iron out some bugs, so when it does officially come out, I won't need to wait a bit so that my game won't crash when I punch a sheep.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I like Notch. He always comes across as so mellow and unconcerned with things that put the big boys of gaming into fits.

Wonder how he's getting on with Bethesda...

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
"Yes... People are beta-testing the beta :) The woes of having a beta game with millions of users,"
Is nobody else going to make this joke?

Nobody?

Okay then.

"Yo dawg, I heard you like beta's..."

Xirema

Nov 12, 2010
Yo sup dawg, we put a Beta in your Beta........ 8)

I've been holding off on playing the pre-release because of all the bugs. It'll be nice to see most of the mods updating on schedule with the 1.8 release though.

EDIT:
Simalacrum said:

Wow, I got ninja'd fast! >_<

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Is anyone else confused by the lack of villagers in the villages...

And Endermen are awesome

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
bat_trapper said:
Well, sucks it got delayed again.

...How are you supposed to get the leak to work?
I'm going to assume this is a legitimate question and not a jab at the pre-release being a little buggy.

You have to replace the minecraft.jar in the appdata\roaming\.minecraft folder with the pre-release minecraft.jar but I'd suggest backing up the original before you copy the pre-release over just in case anything funky happens, better to be safe then sorry.

Easiest way to get to the appdata folder is to open any folder and replace the location with %appdata% and hit enter.

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
imnotparanoid said:
Is anyone else confused by the lack of villagers in the villages...

And Endermen are awesome
Its a bit creepy but villagers are supposed to come out in 1.9 they are splitting the patch up since it is so big and they probably still need time to work out the kinks/figure out what to do on some of the new additions like enderman pearls, exp orbs and villagers.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Strikes me as Notch has become a attention seeking ... individual these days, cant even break wind without making a song and dance about it.

Why not just release a proper update instead of this messing about, nooo not our Notch, needs to fabricate some media attention... plus now players are happy playing a buggy release they cant complain about because its a leak, and Notch doesnt have half the planet on his heels screaming for 1.8 because they are messing about with the 'leak'.

He used to be so much more modest individual when he was showing the cute random world generator prototype he was playing about with on TIG Source way back then.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
bat_trapper said:
Well, sucks it got delayed again.

...How are you supposed to get the leak to work?
The pre-release is simply a minecraft.jar file which you put into your .minecraft/bin folder.

OT: I played Minecraft 6 hours straight yesterday, all spent exploring abandoned mines...

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Simalacrum said:

I don't get it.

Looking forward to the patch. I hate the emptiness of Minecraft worlds, it gives no incentive to explore.

dudeman0001

Jul 8, 2008
It's a good thing this isn't the final release

New meats (chicken and beef) crash the game when you cook them, which is why everyone's holding raw meat in the youtube videos

If you travel in a pre-existing world, once ocean biomes are generated, they never end.

Endermen are too awesome, my body can't handle it.

If you get food poisoning, you only take 1/2 damage (could be intentional, hopefully not)

Hopefully the update will get it's well needed tune-up quickly...

Femaref

May 4, 2008
To everybody complaining that something getting released early by the creators isn't a "leak", you of course are right. It's a joke about bigger companies obviously "leaking" games shortly before their release.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Simalacrum said:

I don't get it.

Looking forward to the patch. I hate the emptiness of Minecraft worlds, it gives no incentive to explore.

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

I've been trying it out but it seems to crash extra often just for me. My roommate don't have the same problem at all, and yet we share Minecraft our computer.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
If the longer wait means more horrifyingly gamebreaking bugs fixed, I'll gladly stay in the metaphorical Iron Maiden until it's done.

Quality over quantity.