WoW Producer Discusses Killing Deathwing, Raid Finder and Everything Patch 4.3

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
WoW Producer Discusses Killing Deathwing, Raid Finder and Everything Patch 4.3

The Lead Producer of World of Warcraft gives the skinny on the ultimate patch of Cataclysm.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
I can't help but lol at "Looking For Raid." People are already far too retarded to get through heroics, let alone a raid.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Micalas said:
I can't help but lol at "Looking For Raid." People are already far too retarded to get through heroics, let alone a raid.
I agree but it will apparently have a lower then regular difficulty.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
This is my take on 4.3 being the last raid of Cataclysm expansion.
To quote my guild message of the day:

'I am excited for patch 4.3 because it is the end of the Cataclysm expansion. !@#$ Cata, and %^-* Noth.'

Don't think too much into the Noth bit, it's an inside joke.

We raided and quested together through the tail end of Burning Crusade and all through Wrath, but the scope of our experience together in Cataclysm is a fleeting experience leveling in Vash and the first two bosses of BoT. It's been pretty boring. The raids just don't interest us, and the lore is especially retarded. That said, I've enjoyed hanging out with the Aspects, especially Ysera.

Deathwing, on the other hand, well. You ever played Counter-Strike or similar lowest-common-denominator online game, and seen someone with a player name as something to make them look and sound hardcore? 'Deathwing, Aspect of Death - I can't possibly perceive him as a threat because I can't help but see him as a loser with a %**!-size compensation complex with a ridiculous name like that.

I couldn't immerse myself in the questing like I usually have been able to in the high-end zones. The rest of Azeroth, fine, but the 80-85 experience was cancerously boring for me and my bros, and it's something I don't want to repeat.
Go over here, 2-3, collect some items, 3-4, Azeroth is in pain/threatened/oh !@#$ Deathwing 5-6, cutscene 7-8, repeat 9-10.

So I welcome the end of Cataclysm, and look with hope to the future for some interesting content.

Oh, and kill Garrosh. I don't care how; just bring me a corpse.

franconbean

Apr 30, 2011
I was kinda hoping for a couple of content patches prior to this one, but ah well, can't have everything.
Looking for Raid won't take off properly beyond Tol Barad I don't think.
Most raiding guilds have policy that limits pugging and people who aren't in a raiding guild are so probably for good reason.
It only takes one troll to ruin a 5 man. You have twice the chance of encountering one in bloody raid finder in a 10 man.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Already on the final patch? Wasn't Cataclysm only released this year?

I wonder how long people will be killing Deathwing for when the patch is released.

Sansha said:

'I am excited for patch 4.3 because it is the end of the Cataclysm expansion. !@#$ Cata, and %^-* Noth.'

We raided and quested together through the tail end of Burning Crusade and all through Wrath, but the scope of our experience together in Cataclysm is a fleeting experience leveling in Vash and the first two bosses of BoT. It's been pretty boring. The raids just don't interest us, and the lore is especially retarded. That said, I've enjoyed hanging out with the Aspects, especially Ysera.

Deathwing, on the other hand, well. You ever played Counter-Strike or similar lowest-common-denominator online game, and seen someone with a player name as something to make them look and sound hardcore? 'Deathwing, Aspect of Death - I can't possibly perceive him as a threat because I can't help but see him as a loser with a %**!-size compensation complex with a ridiculous name like that.

I couldn't immerse myself in the questing like I usually have been able to in the high-end zones. The rest of Azeroth, fine, but the 80-85 experience was cancerously boring for me and my bros, and it's something I don't want to repeat.
Go over here, 2-3, collect some items, 3-4, Azeroth is in pain/threatened/oh !@#$ Deathwing 5-6, cutscene 7-8, repeat 9-10.

So I welcome the end of Cataclysm, and look with hope to the future for some interesting content.

You sound like you'd enjoy GW2 when it comes out, if you haven't already I suggest you give it a look and convince your guild to check it out too.

You wouldn't even need to quit WoW if you didn't want to.

I speak as a man with a large amount of very in-depth research into GW2.

Sansha

Nov 16, 2008
Ickorus said:

I wonder how long people will be killing Deathwing for when the patch is released.

Sansha said:

You sound like you'd enjoy GW2 when it comes out, if you haven't already I suggest you give it a look and convince your guild to check it out too.

You wouldn't even need to quit WoW if you didn't want to.

I speak as a man with a large amount of very in-depth research into GW2.
Not sure if serious, but hell yeah brother - I'm picking up GW2 on release day. I can't wait, it looks stupid fun.

Sansha

Nov 16, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Sansha said:
Amen; and bring back Magni, kill Varian, put Magni in charge of the Alliance(crank the industry, honor, and beer up to 11), and but Vol'Jinn in charge of the Horde.

Maybe they can try and redeem the IP from its status as pop culture cluster fuck.
This is a storyline I'd actually like to see done. King Magni takes leadership of the Alliance while Prince Anduin prepares to take his father's throne. I think the kid would make a good leader of the Alliance and King of Stormwind.
Vol'jin... I dunno if he'd make a good Warchief of the Horde. Varok Saurfang or Thrall's return would be better. A lot of people say Baine or Sylvanas should be, but imo Baine takes too long to make tough decisions and flat-out refuses aggressive action... and Sylvanas is just nasty.

I respect Varian, though, and I'm Horde. So that speaks to Blizzard's writing.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
franconbean said:
I was kinda hoping for a couple of content patches prior to this one, but ah well, can't have everything.
Looking for Raid won't take off properly beyond Tol Barad I don't think.
Most raiding guilds have policy that limits pugging and people who aren't in a raiding guild are so probably for good reason.
It only takes one troll to ruin a 5 man. You have twice the chance of encountering one in bloody raid finder in a 10 man.
Well, I'm sure a fair few aren't in a raiding guild because their's fell apart at the end of Wrath... Man that pissed me off <.<

I think it's HILARIOUS that people are upset over how fast the expansion went. I bet these were the same people who complained over how long Wrath was. I'm also not surprises that 4.3 is the final patch. Remember, 3.3 was the final Wrath expansion, and no one wants another 3.2... Sure, Cataclysm has flown by, but as someone who let their sub drop because of the dungeons, I see this as a good thing. Hopefully, they will go back to the idea they had in Wrath where dungeons were meant to be a quick and fun thing, not a slug fest requiring coordination for every pull. Keep that in the raids, and leave the dungeons for smashing enemies and getting loot in 30 minutes or less.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Sansha said:
Sansha said:
Amen; and bring back Magni, kill Varian, put Magni in charge of the Alliance(crank the industry, honor, and beer up to 11), and but Vol'Jinn in charge of the Horde.

Maybe they can try and redeem the IP from its status as pop culture cluster fuck.
This is a storyline I'd actually like to see done. King Magni takes leadership of the Alliance while Prince Anduin prepares to take his father's throne. I think the kid would make a good leader of the Alliance and King of Stormwind.
Vol'jin... I dunno if he'd make a good Warchief of the Horde. Varok Saurfang or Thrall's return would be better. A lot of people say Baine or Sylvanas should be, but imo Baine takes too long to make tough decisions and flat-out refuses aggressive action... and Sylvanas is just nasty.

He was 12 by the start of World of Warcraft. Shouldnt he be like.. 20 soon?

Sansha

Nov 16, 2008
Nikolaz72 said:
Sansha said:
Sansha said:

He was 12 by the start of World of Warcraft. Shouldnt he be like.. 20 soon?
Well they made a special mid-late teens model just for him, so that's showing some progress. King Anduin - sounds about right, doesn't it?

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Ickorus said:
Looks like they'll be moving closer to a yearly release schedule. Wouldn't surprise me if the next expansion comes out in the next six months.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
coldalarm said:
Ickorus said:
Looks like they'll be moving closer to a yearly release schedule. Wouldn't surprise me if the next expansion comes out in the next six months.
It was released Dec last year, we've only just gotten news of 4.3 lately, it isn't even on the PTR, you won't see a release till either Dec or Jan at the latest and the raid tier itself will last at the very least 6 months, so you're looking at a year and half for the expac.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Sansha said:
Remember how Illidan was supposed to be "the end of Burning Crusade"? Yeah don't kid yourself mate, unless 4.3 is at least a solid 6 months off it won't be the last major raid. Though I will agree with you that this expansion just needs to end. There's nothing interesting about it aside from the shock factor of the world being radically changed, and that wore off very quickly. I mean let's be honest with ourselves here, Wrath was a masterfully done expansion with very well known back story which many veteran Warcraft players were familiar with and invested in.

It was the culmination in the tragic story of Prince Arthas, and by god it was fucking epic. Though where the hell do you go from there? The story of Deathwing is somewhat compelling, but it plays out mostly in the novels. Your average player, scratch that, even amongst the hardcore crowd you would be hard pressed to find someone who's actually familiar with Deathwing's back story. He's just sort of a "meh" villain when sized up to who we just got done with. I mean ooo, another dragon for us to kill, it's not like we haven't killed a bunch plus one aspect already. I mean seriously, Deathwing was just not a strong enough villain to build an expansion around. He's a great reason to overhaul the world but other than that there's not much going for him in the compelling villains department.

I just don't see where Blizzard has any villains left to build expansions around. Even if the next expansion is Sargeras who've they got that could measure up to him or Arthas? No one that's who, or rather no one who's been a consistent and present threat to the world to the degree of Arthas and Sargeras. I left WoW because when 4.0 rolled out I took a look at what I'd done in Wrath, Vanilla, and Burning Crusade and said "You know what, call me when there's a threat I can work up a blood vendetta against."

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Vaccine said:
It was released Dec last year, we've only just gotten news of 4.3 lately, it isn't even on the PTR, you won't see a release till either Dec or Jan at the latest and the raid tier itself will last at the very least 6 months, so you're looking at a year and half for the expac.
I disagree. Blizzard need to turn out the expansion in the next year at latest. With TOR and The Secret World, along with an ever increasing number of MMOs going F2P, Blizzard are slowly losing their grasp on the market. They've gone from 12 to 11m subs, and if they don't get in gear they'll lose more.

WotLK suffered from a massive gap between Icecrown and Cataclysm, and I don't think Blizz will want that again, because it was a year between major content releases and about six months from the minor Ruby Sanctum.

If we're looking at six months for the raid tier, then I think Blizzard are going to be looking to the end of summer, at latest, to get the next expansion out otherwise they risk losing more players to TOR and the other competitors. They need to get something out relatively quickly after this raid to keep people interested.

Cataclysm was a massive expansion, and as such Blizz could justify a year from the final WotLK raid to Cat as the payoff would be potentially bigger. TBC's final raid to WotLK was about 9 months. If Cat to the next is a year, I think it'll hurt them much more than it'll help them.

KeyMaster45 said:
Remember how Illidan was supposed to be "the end of Burning Crusade"? Yeah don't kid yourself mate, unless 4.3 is at least a solid 6 months off it won't be the last major raid.
You do know it was a mistake, right? As far as I remember, Blizzard didn't expect people to clear it so quickly but also they implemented it way too soon, hence why it ended up with the Sunwell at the end of the game. Arthas was always implied/said to be the final boss of WotLK, and he was! Mistakes happen, bad design choices happen. Deathwing will be the last major boss of Cataclysm. It fits in with all the previous timing, bar TBC.