Nintendo Cramming 100 Minutes of Cutscenes Into Skyward Sword

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo Cramming 100 Minutes of Cutscenes Into Skyward Sword

There will apparently be lots of opportunities to rest your wrists in Skyward Sword.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword [http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Skyward-Sword-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSC54I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316096713&sr=8-2] might be upwards of fifty hours long [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112971-Skyward-Sword-Will-Take-Dozens-of-Hours-to-Finish-Says-Nintendo], but for nearly two of those hours, you're not going to be doing anything except watching what's going on onscreen. According to the official Zelda Facebook page, the game has 100 minutes of cinematic cutscenes.

The news comes by way of Nintendo's pre-Tokyo Game Show press conference, the same place we received the news that the game could take anything up to a hundred hours to complete. 100 minutes might seem like a lot, but spread out over such a long game, it probably won't be particularly arduous to sit through them all, especially if Nintendo is using the word "cinematic" in a loose sense, and is including things like the little scenes that play when you open a chest or pick up a piece of heart.

Considering that Nintendo is trying a lot of new things with Skyward Sword - new items, new setting and a new villain, just to name a few - I'm quite happy to be spending so much time with the game, both playing it and watching it.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword comes out for the Wii on November 20th.

Source: Nintendo World Report [http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/27834]

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
well that doesnt sound that bad when you consider the length of the game. And compared to some games (im looking at you MGS4) that not bad at all. I like that nintendo is doing new things with zelda. the last time they did that we got windwaker and it was awsome.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
First thought after reading the title:

just wanted a good reason to post this again!

Thought after reading: Well, seems acceptable copmared to the games lenghs..... still....

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
That's nice Nintendo. Am I supposed to be impressed? Convinced to buy the game now? What's the point about bragging about how many hours of cutscence you have in 2011? How quint.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
That's like at the end of Uncharted and they say how long you were just standing.
Still this is good news because it's Zelda. From Ocarina on, the series has used cutscenes well.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
This is bad publicity. Bad bad publicity.

I am scared for this game. And how many will never buy it just because of hearing this.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
That's still shorter than Metal Gear Solid 4, right? OK that's cool with me. Legend of Zelda games are pretty much the only worthwhile Nintendo property these days.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Not for nothing, and I'm sure people perfer it as such, but with that many minutes of cutscenes you think they could hire GOOD voice actors. Link still wouldn't talk afterall. I mean it isn't like Nintendo couldn't hire good actors, they hired the same actor to play Mario for 20 years or something like that, and he still doesnt' do much more then introduce the game and grunt...

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Doesn't bother me at all. That's the length of the frickin' ending cutscene alone in Metal Gear Solid 4. Spread over the entire game, I'd be surprised if other similar length AAA titles don't have the same amount, like say Uncharted or Infamous or Gears 3 or whatever. Hell, I bet Arkham City probably has a similar number. They're changing enough stuff with the typical Zelda formula that I'm really looking forward to this one.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
I worry not.... i have faith it will be a good game...

Name me one bad Zelda game.... not counting Zelda 2 and the CDi versions ofc...

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
5 bucks says that around 60% of the cutscenes are at the beginning and end of the game as well as boss battles. I hardly think having a 100 minutes of cutscenes is an amazing selling point as in most LoZ games conversations involve one or more people telling Link what's happening and what he needs to do now whilst his piece involves grunting, making a certain facial expression or inclining his head at an angle. Not the most riveting parts of the games I assure you.

Off-topic: Captcha: 147-8, svcess what?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
vrbtny said:
So it's now Metal Gear Solid : Skyward Sword....
Looks like you misread 100 minutes for 100 hours too.
If the game really is going to last at least 50 hours this isn't a lot. I got tired of the talking scenes in the start of Mass Effect when it was getting close to take up about 50% of my game time so I didn't go on playing.

targren

May 13, 2009
Rect Pola said:
That's like at the end of Uncharted and they say how long you were just standing.
Still this is good news because it's Zelda. From Ocarina on, the series has used cutscenes well.
I can't agree with that. I don't get what the point of trying to use cutscenes is if you're going to keep looping the same three strings of gibberish syllables per character, and using a wall of text to translate it. This week's EC was on the very subject, in fact, and thinking about it... yeah, Zelda cutscenes have always been about 5% "providing context" and 95% "kicking the 4th wall in the nuts."

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Some people apparently just ignore the fact that the game is gonna be pretty long so the cutscenes will be spread out quite a bit(i hope). Either that or they thought it said 100 hours -.-

OT: Doesn't affect me in any way. The Zelda fanboy that is me is gonna buy it anyways and mindlessly love it :D

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
If they are actually talking about real cutscenes not those "Hey, there's a thing you should go get!" in game scenes they occasionally do, then this tells me that Skyward Sword is going to be more of a movie than MGS4 was.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I'm skeptical about the 50 to 100 hours thing myself, but if the games over 20 hours long even if you ignore any side-stuff (within reason) then 2~ hours of cutscene material isn't a big deal, in fact I tend to like the cutscenes in zelda. (The first couple scenes with Zant in TP was badass. Shame they had to ruin his fight...)

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Zelda has had cutscenese for a very long time now. I don't mind them, I just would rather they be kept to a minimum, as with any game.