New Rage TV Ad Makes the Burned Earth Look Sexy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Rage TV Ad Makes the Burned Earth Look Sexy

The new television ad for Rage has me a whole lot more interested in the game than I was a few minutes ago.

Rage is coming and to be perfectly honest about it, the prospect has left me a little cold. I've played enough id games to know what's in store, so I haven't paid a lot of attention to what's going on with it. Carmack goes post-apocalyptic or something, right? "That's cool," he said with a yawn. "I'll pick it up when I don't have anything else on my plate."

Or I might end up getting on it a little more enthusiastically than that. The new Rage television spot is pretty typical stuff, with plenty of fast cuts, bold-face text and the obligatory, tiresome nu-metal soundtrack, but it also looks hot. Really hot. Call me a sucker for the marketing man's shenanigans if you will but Rage has very quickly gone from a game I'm aware of to a game I'm really looking forward to.

Rage [http://www.amazon.com/Rage-Pc/dp/B003ICGL7I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1316192036&sr=8-3] comes out on October 4 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
A Perfect Circle are definitely NOT Nu Metal, in fact they are almost the polar opposite of everything it was about!

AAANYWAY... pedantic ranting aside, the trailer is awesome and I bet Rage is gonna be one of the games of the year.

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Andy, honestly, you should pay more attention to stuff like that considering id Software has made what the FPS genre is today.

"Carmack goes post-apocalyptic or something, right? 'That's cool,' he said with a yawn. 'I'll pick it up when I don't have anything else on my plate.'"

*shakes head*

You should know better.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
I heard of this game a while ago, and figured it would just be a no-name shooter I could ignore and not worry about. I took some time yesterday, however, to check out some trailers and gameplay etc. and I'm definitely more excited about this game now. I'll probably get it for PS3 if i buy it, because my computer will be stuck in BF3. Will it have a sweet online mode?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
And once again I hope my aging rig can handle it. RPG shooters are my favorite!

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
Calling A Perfect Circle Nu Metal is a disgrace to everything they ever stand for. Research research! To that end the song fit well with the video. It had a good impact.

InsanelyZanter

Aug 8, 2010
Still unsure. I want it to be good after that. But this isn't showing me enough to get a solid impression.

albino boo said:
To me it looked like Boarderlands with a bigger colour palate.
Borderlands was just about as colorful as a desert wasteland can get.

This is just brown & bloom.

One of the best looking brown & bloom shooters I have seen in ages, but regardless.

I fail to see where you drew this conclusion.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
A Perfect Circle are definitely NOT Nu Metal, in fact they are almost the polar opposite of everything it was about!
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that stuck out.

As for the game itself it is pretty but I'm still going to wait until closer to release for a few reviews before plunking down $60 on what could just be a polished turd.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Anyone else notice this game making appearances on Breaking Bad? It was part of a pretty intense opening scene with Jesse. It's not the real version, though. I'm pretty sure Rage isn't a rail shooter.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
TheMadJack said:
You should know better.
Don't lecture me, sonny. I have a boxed copy of Doom shipped straight up from Texas sitting here, alongside pretty much everything else they've done. I know my id, and I know my shooters.

Also, very nu-metal.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Hashbrick said:
Calling A Perfect Circle Nu Metal is a disgrace to everything they ever stand for. Research research! To that end the song fit well with the video. It had a good impact.
To be fair, this particular section of the song does sound very much like nu-metal, so you can't fault him for saying it.

OT: I dunno. It looks a bit like Borderlands if you mashed it up with .

Not gonna purchase any time soon. Maybe next year, if nothing good is out.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
It warms my heart to see that even in the current gen "From the creators of Doom" is still used as a selling point.

I'm still not sure on Rage. Half the time it looks great, the other half it looks very average. It's a wait for the reviews case for me.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
... That was A Perfect Circle? I remember them for brilliant tunes like 'Passive', not scratchy, incoherent nonsense like the background music in that TV ad.

OT: ... Seriously? They'd use a line like "From the creators of Doom & Quake" in this day and age? If RAGE were a horse, that's the kind of pedigree that'd get you looks of pity from the judges at best, and a couple of free rounds of buckshot at worst.
I'm sorry, the game still doesn't look appealing to me. I'll keep an eye on user reviews, and if they turn out very positive I'll give it a try, but until then RAGE gets a spot on my "don't care" list.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
It's a remix of this song:

One of their more metal-ish songs for sure, but definitely not knuckle dragging jock metal.

Perhaps TMI and off-topic, but if you ever get the chance, this is a wonderful song/album to have on while you enjoy some quality time with your significant other (well, except when he says 'go back to sleep) :D