New Rage TV Ad Makes the Burned Earth Look Sexy

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Tiresome Nu metal?
Go listen to the rest of A perfect circles work, and you will see how wrong you are.
I have nothing to say about the game, it looks normal, and like the love child of Fallout3 and borderlands.
The same way it looked months ago.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I think "From the creators of Doom" is perfectly legitimate. It's one of the greatest games ever, an absolute pinnacle in design and execution. Technology has surpassed it - led by Quake, by the way - but in terms of sheer impact, it stands alone.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
I'm with you Andy. I saw that Id was doing it and thought, "Well, they've been out of the game for a while. I see a game on par with DNF." Also, this is a company that fired American McGee. For that, they can go to hell.

However, after watching several clips of Rage, I'm very excited and will most certainly pick it up.

One thing though, no matter how much the song sounds like it should be Nu Metal, it's not.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It's amusing how many of you are rushing to the defense of A Perfect Circle as NOT NU-METAL. What can I say? It is what it is. (It is.)

I haven't loved id since Quake 3 and the whole post-apoc thing was a little too tired to get my attention when Rage was first announced. But I gotta say, it's looking mighty fine. Definitely on the list.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I agree with you, Mr. Chalk. While I have no interest in the game, and this trailer hasn't sold it to me over its stellar competition this fall season, that was one impressive trailer.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Perhaps TMI and off-topic, but if you ever get the chance, this is a wonderful song/album to have on while you enjoy some quality time with your significant other (well, except when he says 'go back to sleep) :D
Not really my music to get freaky to, but whatever floats your boat, I suppose. Also, whoever it is I'm getting freaky with, they're not going to be a 'he'. :p

Listening to that track made me long for the old days of Tool, with tracks like Schism and Parabola... ah, good times.

Andy Chalk said:
I think "From the creators of Doom" is perfectly legitimate. It's one of the greatest games ever, an absolute pinnacle in design and execution. Technology has surpassed it - led by Quake, by the way - but in terms of sheer impact, it stands alone.
Fine, I'll grant you that - regarding impact, Doom really was a world apart. Good point.

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
As a long-time gamer, I must admit that I can't really tell much from the video. Much of the action taking place looks scripted. The graphics seem fine...

What am I missing that's making people excited?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
not sure y this game has ppl so excited, just looks like another brown shooter in an apocalyptic wasteland <.<

seriously y cant they make an apocalypse look like ENSLAVED? colors are nice.

nothing ive seen from this game makes me even remotely care about it :(

GoodApprentice said:
As a long-time gamer, I must admit that I can't really tell much from the video. Much of the action taking place looks scripted. The graphics seem fine...

What am I missing that's making people excited?
on the same boat.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Not gonna lie, that made me see the game a bit differently. Going from the perspective of "So...Fallout 3 meets Borderlands is ground-breaking?" to "Did I just witness a steam-punk airship, a cyber-punk space-ship and a decaying city filled with godzilla-like monsters in the one trailer? Struth...", I might keep my eye open when the reviews come. Gotta admit, I was weaned into games on DOOM, so let's see if those guys can satisfy me now (don't think in that context ya dirty bastard!).

Edit: Nearly every post is about the song used, oh escapist how I love your quirk.

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
Before you get too excited, remember that RAGE is one of the games trying to pull the online pass bollocks, effectively skullfucking used game purchasers. Think over the hype, Escapists--if there was ever a new game worth boycotting, it's this one.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
This isn't just another brown shooter. This is a shooter from ID. Big difference.

Cannot wait! This is going to be the best thing since Half Life 2.

ScrubberDucky said:
Yeah. 'Online Pass' has been the norm for a while now. Only impacts used sales.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
I've had this pre-ordered and fully paid off for almost a month-and-a-half. I'm really looking forward to this!

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
Why would ID want to make their game look like 'Enslaved'? That would be derivative. Rage doesn't look like any of its competition.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Btw, has it ever been confirmed what the level layout will be like in this game? Will it be largely linear like Borderlands or largely connected free-roam like a Bethesda game?

Because if former, then "meh"; if latter, then "Day 1 purchase".

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
TheMadJack said:
You should know better.
Don't lecture me, sonny.
Thanks Andy, now I feel a little younger. :p

I have a boxed copy of Doom shipped straight up from Texas sitting here, alongside pretty much everything else they've done. I know my id, and I know my shooters.
And what good has that done you? You still missed that one. :p

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
For some reason I can get hyped about this game. I don't know what it is about it that rubs me the wrong way because it doesn't look bad. Maybe it's because of post-apocalyptic theme. There's a lot of that going on these days. I'll probably get it because I'm not interested, so I can end up being amazed. I like when a game does that to me. I don't expect anything from it, and then it delivers.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Still Life said:
DTWolfwood said:
Why would ID want to make their game look like 'Enslaved'? That would be derivative. Rage doesn't look like any of its competition.
wait so having color contrast in a post apocalyptic world is derivative, but a brown/grey apocalypse isn't? ok...

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
wait so having color contrast in a post apocalyptic world is derivative, but a brown/grey apocalypse isn't? ok...
It isn't derivative when ID patented the style to begin with...

Moeez

May 28, 2009
I love "Counting Bodies like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drums", one of my favourite songs. Was used for a brilliant Neon Genesis Evangelion music video.

:D