234: Kill Billy

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
This..This was possibly the best piece of writing I have read on the Escapist. Nay, on the internet in it's entirety.

It resonates on so many levels, whilst retaining that thorough ridiculousness that makes certain aspects of life great.

Congratulations.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
Touching story, that has happened to me too.
Metal gear solid 2 one of the guards why you hold him up against the wall. You have a choice to make, either kill him or knock him out. I felt so terrible after shooting the guy every time.

Also, this has to be one of the best written pieces on the escapist.

Arrakiv

Dec 17, 2005
Wow, I don't know how, but I managed to miss this article when it was originally up. That is a shame, as it was absolutely fantastic, well written, and thought provoking.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Wow, that was the best gaming related piece of writing I've ever read. *Book Marks article* I intend to share this article with some friends :)

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
That was interesting. I wonder how the creator of that goat in King's Quest had its purpose in mind?

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
This is my first time reading this article. I teared up reading it.

On a personal note, I sigh inside every time I see or hear a player senselessly killing a critter in World of Warcraft. When a patch would later add an achievement for killing an assortment of pests (rodents, insects, etc.), I did so with a twinge of sadness.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
I think that this moral dilemma demands further inspection than merely the assumption that irrelevance makes a moral choice more captivating. While it is true that morality will ultimately boil down to consequential thinking if you twist the available options enough (in situations where you can either kill one to save all, or let all die, for example), this doesn't mean that a moral choice has to be irrelevant in a wider scale to sustain impact.

It is not the relevance or irrelevance to greater consequence that creates moral impact in games from any particular action, but rather the comparison (identification) or contrast (alienation) the player experiences between their in-game actions, and their real-life approach. Both identification and alienation are useful depending on the genre of the game and the optimistic or pessimistic tone it is planned to express.

The mistake made by games with morality systems that give full relevance and consequences to "good" or "evil" actions is not that they give consequential relevance to an action, but rather that the choice between those two extremes is always apparent and available. The very essence of moral dilemma, and excruciating decisions that really shake the player's world and bring them into the game, is always found in the restraint of choice but to go ahead and do something they would similarly hate doing in the real world. In essence, the moral dilemma is about priorities, and the philosophical search for what one truly values (and ultimately, what one should value).

There are games who have achieved very impressive, immersive and thoughtful morality systems. Look at Dragon Age: Origins and similar examples like Knights of the Old Republic. While moral actions in these games may not be measured on a scale like in Fable or Infamous, the opinions of those in your party act as a gauge of your own moral outlook, allowing for less alienation or preachy judgement for people who don't have the "vanilla" (in the Western designer's point of view, at least) Christian belief system, and therefore giving these games wider appeal.

Furthermore, in the most successful moral systems, choice is not always supplied (think of Conner's fate Dragon Age's town of Redcliffe), and despite it being a minor inconvenience for the player not to always be a saint when they want to be, the fact that there may be no high choice really allows them to step into the game world and away from their assumptions about what is moral and what is not. It shows them a more complex side of themselves, which they may never have known about before engaging with the dilemma.

The restriction of the full spectrum of moral choices, and the creation of a more complex system of moral consequences, are the finer points where a game ceases being a mere game, and becomes art, because it potentially enriches the player's very soul or ethical consciousness. That is why it is very exciting to see BioWare's work - they understand this fact, and it is still an appeal that is almost unique to them. Let us hope, though, that this approach catches on.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
That's pretty well said, Silva. I'm hoping that part of what is done with Mass Effect 2 is that the 'smaller' moral choices you made in ME1 come into play. Maybe the guy who you gave the autograph to became a member of his planets militia (or something). The friendly or unfriendly relationships established with crew are reflected when you run across them again. Etc.

For myself, in Mass Effect, there's a chance to essentially commit genocide. My second playthrough, where I was trying to be more of a self-interested, dirty dealer...but I still couldn't chose to destroy an entire species that was begging for mercy.

I realize that's just me, I get that it's a game, and that I'm acting in some way. It's not real.

I still can't engage in genocide. I couldn't become a slaver in Fallout 3. Even if I was being a dick, (and the morality system there was pretty broad) there are some things that I just can't condone.

I don't condemn people who can go through games like this on 'evil' mode. They're having fun and nobody is being hurt. What's to condemn? I'd actually like to have a beer with 'em and talk about it.

I just can't do it, personally.

That said; I'd like those moral choices to become a bit more subtle; the evil not being Stalinesque, the good not being Gandhi. Playing an anti-hero would be fun-but it means that sometimes you break the nose of someone who doesn't really deserve it.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
It looks to me like that point is that Killing the Goat happens on an internal morality scale, whereas most games use an external one.

With the external one, you get told "this is right, this is wrong", and you feel the need to assert your own views if it disagrees with you. Doing "evil" isn't wrong, you're just sticking it to the man. Take that, Karma!

With the internal one, your conscience gets engaged. No one comes to yell at you for killing the goat, no omniscient deity knocks you down the moral-o-meter. You have no man to stick it too, no one to argue the logic of morality with, only yourself and a goat carcass. Thence the guilt.

metalcore42

Apr 15, 2009
I see what you did there:
"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic." -Joseph Stalin

Quite an insightful article.

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
That was hilarious and in a few cases,true. I do feel guilt at times for sensless killing. But my compass is rather odd. I will leave a field of burnt, tortured rabits in Warcraft, and with a huge grin on my face as well. But I feel a huge amount of guild as I stand over the corpse of a Yaoi Gui or rabid dog in Fallout 3.

lodo_bear

Nov 15, 2009
metalcore42 said:

Actually, Stalin never said that [http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin], but the sentiment remains true nonetheless.

metalcore42

Apr 15, 2009
lodo_bear said:
metalcore42 said:

Actually, Stalin never said that [http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin], but the sentiment remains true nonetheless.
Thank you for informing me of my error.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Sorry to burst your bubble here, but the irrelevance of moral choices has been the Achilles heel of pretty much every game that features them. The irrelevance of moral choices is exactly why they don't work.

Make the choices meaningful, then they will no longer be a hindrance to games which feature them.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
This is one of the most interesting and funny texts I've seen in a long time. It is totally pointless and devoid of purpose and meaning, but I loved it all the same.

Is there something wrong with me? Should I go see a doctor (or a vet)?

Beeeeeeeeh