GameFly To Netflix: Bring It On

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010

Even though Netflix is about to horn in on GameFly's territory, the latter isn't too worried about the competition.

Netflix has been having a tough time lately, between the hostility it received for its recent price hikes, the droves of people who are <a href=http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/20/scitech/main20108915.shtml>reportedly abandoning the service, and <a href=http://www.thirdage.com/news/nflx-netflix-stocks-loses-quarter-of-its-value_09-20-2011> the hammering its stock prices are taking. Part of the company's plan to address these issues is to split into two groups: Netflix, which will handle streaming video, and Qwikster, which will take over Netflix's disc-mailings and include a game rental system. The latter sounds like it'll be horning in on GameFly's territory, but GameFly has revealed that it's not at all worried about the competition.

When Joystiq asked the mail rental group about Qwickster, a GameFly representative explained that the company isn't worried thanks to its long history of success:

"GameFly has expanded steadily over the past nine years by focusing exclusively on video gamers. We are the only retailer offering games physically and digitally for both rental and purchase.

"Gamers can try before they buy, choosing from new releases and classic titles that span the last decade. GameFly has more than 8000 games for 10 console and handheld systems to choose from, and over 1500 Windows/Mac games are available for download."

The representative also made a point of mentioning that GameFly has managed to thrive, in spite of other competitors like Redbox and Blockbuster kiosks - not to mention <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102702-Blockbuster-Muscles-In-On-GameFlys-Territory>Blockbuster's failed attempt to muscle in on GameFly's territory.

GameFly certainly has a loyal customer base, not to mention its near-decade of success, but whether or not the service is able to survive Qwickster's presence unscathed remains to be seen. Still, one certainly can't fault the company for a lack of confidence.

Source: Joystiq

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Right now GameFly doesn't have anything to worry about. Consumer confidence in Netflix has just about equaled the moisture point of much of Texas. GameFly best be more concerned about how it compares with OnLive. Right now the only thing going against OnLive is whether or not a customer has a decent internet connection to warrant the service. These would be the same people who could be enjoying Netflix's instant streaming service. How hard would it be to decide to forego any physical media whatsoever and just go with streaming games and movies?
Does GameFly have anything to compete with that?

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
Half my Gamefly queue is DS games, and there's even a couple PS2 games still hanging on in there, I don't think I'll bolt for Qwickster any time soon. Wouldn't mind if the competition spurred them to speed things up a little, though.

heroic

Aug 29, 2011
oh, netflix, you're so adorable when you try to make people happy in the midst of their rage...

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Is there really a market to steal? i didn't think Gamefly was doing that good in the first place and with red box, i wont have to wait a weak to get the new games to be delivered

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
As much as Netflix has been pissing everyone off lately, I do think they stand to steal a good amount of Gamefly's business. Stupid decisions aside, they know how to get a disc delivered in days, rather than weeks, and to make sure discs aren't unusably dirty or scratched. Gamefly has never been able to get these things right.

P.S. Thanks

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Covarr said:
As much as Netflix has been pissing everyone off lately, I do think they stand to steal a good amount of Gamefly's business. Stupid decisions aside, they know how to get a disc delivered in days, rather than weeks, and to make sure discs aren't unusably dirty or scratched. Gamefly has never been able to get these things right.

P.S. Thanks
Was basically just about to post this myself. At least with Netflix (Qwikster?) I'd likely be able to send a game back and get a different one two days later, rather than hoping it'll be available 3 weeks down the line when everyone else is done with it.

face_head_mouth

Sep 16, 2010
I tried using Blockbuster as a game rental service recently (I was already using Netflix for DVDs, so I only ordered games from Blockbuster), and it's only good if you have a bunch of older games you want to catch up on. Blockbuster makes a big deal about getting movies before Netflix or Redbox, but this has nothing to do with how they rent games: a game isn't even available for rent for 4-5 months after it comes out, and good luck of it ever being in stock if it wasn't a huge game (3D Dot Game Heroes and Vanquish were always listed as Very Long Wait, for instance). On the other hand, you can rent 2 games at-a-time for the same price as 1 game at-a-time from Gamefly (about $16 a month), so it could be worth getting for a few months under the right circumstances.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how well Netflix handles this. I've been using Netflix on and off for 9 years and I've never had a problem beyond one broken disc (a replacement for which went out the next morning, before I even sent them back the broken one), so I'd be willing to drop Gamefly (who I've been OK with over the short time I've used them) and use Netfilx for games if their selection and availability are comparable and the price stayed the same as for movies ($8 a month).

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
I have used gamefly for years and have had great service. I highly reccomend them. That said, if qwixta can give me a 3 day total turn around Send-day-recieve. Then adios gamefly. Also price point and if the game and dvd take same slots? I dont want to miss a game because ym kid rented Monster House for the 3rd time.

I want.

Dedicaded game slot and queue. like 2 dvd + 2 game plan. I dont want to shift my queue, I want to send a game back recieve my next game.

High game avaiablity. Shouldnt be a problem, netflix knows how to calculate how many games to buy.

Turn around same as DVDs, shouldnt be a problem.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
I was going to post that -- unless GameFly has improved hugely since my brief flirtation with their service a couple of years back -- Qwijibo should have no trouble taking their lunch money. However, pretty much every post (above) confirms that no, in fact GameFly still leaves a lot to be desired, their confidence seems ill-placed.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Isn't Gamefly the company that only has like two discs of a given game to service the thousands of requests?

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
I like Gamefly well enough but, because my queue has become increasingly barren, I've been kicking around the idea of doing Netflix. Now, with Qwikster, I can do so and catch up on the page and a half of movies that I've always meant to rent "someday" without worrying about a game coming out that I would want to rent.

Granted, I won't switch until the end of the year but, for people like me who want to keep the number of automatic withdrawals a month kept to a minimum, the new Qwikster model sounds okay. It still depends on how their service is and what type of extras they offer (reduced price on games you want to keep, member benefits) but I would say that Gamefly has much to be worried about.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Eh, I stopped my Gamefly a few days back. I usually go for a month or two until my game queue gets limited then I'll take a break. That usually happens around the time of big releases that I will buy anyways (Space Marine, Skyrim, etc).

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
The instant Netflix offers games, I am dropping Gamefly so fast. Gamefly is pretty pricey, never has the games I want available, takes days to ship, and tries to goad me into spending money on games when I don't want to.

Come on Netflix, start it soon.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
I'm so fed up with Gamefly right now. I only use them because I literally have no other choice short of driving 30 miles for a rental (which may be faster and cheaper, all things considered).

I've been waiting over a week now for a new game to ship, and this is a week AFTER my last game sent back was checked in, 5 days after I mailed it out. It's getting beyond stupid. wtf, guys? It gets so aggravating watching availability for games go up, then back down to nothing the next day while I get to sit there and look at my empty games at home box. I swear it feels like I'm always the last person in line, and I'm sick of it.

I'll give Netflix's service a spin. If they do it better, good bye Gamefly.

Blockbuster's problem is simple-- I tried their mail service, in an attempt to see if they could deliver better than Gamefly. Doesn't work too well when they make new releases unavailable by mail until three to four months after they release. Why can't I get a game released in September before December? That's their problem, right there.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
vansau said:

Even though Netflix is about to horn in on GameFly's territory, the latter isn't too worried about the competition.

Netflix has been having a tough time lately, between the hostility it received for its recent price hikes, the droves of people who are <a href=http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/20/scitech/main20108915.shtml>reportedly abandoning the service, and <a href=http://www.thirdage.com/news/nflx-netflix-stocks-loses-quarter-of-its-value_09-20-2011> the hammering its stock prices are taking. Part of the company's plan to address these issues is to split into two groups: Netflix, which will handle streaming video, and Qwikster, which will take over Netflix's disc-mailings and include a game rental system. The latter sounds like it'll be horning in on GameFly's territory, but GameFly has revealed that it's not at all worried about the competition.

When Joystiq asked the mail rental group about Qwickster, a GameFly representative explained that the company isn't worried thanks to its long history of success:

"GameFly has expanded steadily over the past nine years by focusing exclusively on video gamers. We are the only retailer offering games physically and digitally for both rental and purchase.

"Gamers can try before they buy, choosing from new releases and classic titles that span the last decade. GameFly has more than 8000 games for 10 console and handheld systems to choose from, and over 1500 Windows/Mac games are available for download."

The representative also made a point of mentioning that GameFly has managed to thrive, in spite of other competitors like Redbox and Blockbuster kiosks - not to mention <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102702-Blockbuster-Muscles-In-On-GameFlys-Territory>Blockbuster's failed attempt to muscle in on GameFly's territory.

GameFly certainly has a loyal customer base, not to mention its near-decade of success, but whether or not the service is able to survive Qwickster's presence unscathed remains to be seen. Still, one certainly can't fault the company for a lack of confidence.

Source: Joystiq

Hooray for monopoly-toppling competition! Gamefly is pretty good to us already, as Netflix has been with the movies. Hopefully it will remain a contest to see who is the better to us for a long time to come.

Edit: also, Blockbuster had done far too little, far too late to adapt and properly sell us shit in a competitive way (in other words, there product still sucks). Let 'em burn along with the music industry and, hopefully soon, Gamestop.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
I'm so using neflix when they offer video games. Gamefly takes two weeks to ship one game, ONE FREAKIN GAME, to my house.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
I see a lot of hate for the gamefly turn around here and just want to say that, in my experience, it has improved immensely. When I first got them the turn around could take a week or more. Over the last year, however, as they have gotten the fast return system working with the Post Office, the times are great. I can put it in my curbside mail for pickup and still get a new game mailed out the next day. Total turnaround 2-3 days.

Now, admittedly, this may be regional. I live in a suburb of Seattle so there may be a center very near me and that is why it works so well. But still, the improvement recently is significant so if you are basing your opinion on how it was a year or more ago, it might be worth another look.