Chinese Farmer Builds Whirling Death Machine

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Chinese Farmer Builds Whirling Death Machine

Chinese farmer Shu Mansheng is a man with a dream. A dream to build the most insane, terrifying flying machine in human history.

See that image at right? That's Mansheng sitting in the "cockpit" of his creation as it hovers a few feet above the ground. Surrounding him are eight motorcycle engines attached to propellers whose spin provides lift and a quick, violent death if he ever steps outside of that tiny box.

Boing Boing offers technical details:

The round steel flying device, which cost more than 20,000 yuan ($3,135), is the fifth model made by Shu, a junior middle school graduate. It measures around 5.5 meters (18 feet) in diameter, and is powered by eight motorcycle engines. Shu managed to hover for 10 seconds at about 1 metre (3.3 feet) above ground during a recent test flight.

Being a farmer in the relatively rural Wuhan, Hubei province, Mansheng cobbled this thing together from a collection of parts stripped out of other, far less dangerous machines. Those engines would normally be found inside motorcycles and the body of his device seems constructed from the same material local businesses use to build their outdoor signage.

Though the machine seems to work, and did achieve lift-off (while tethered to the ground, lest it go flying off into the atmosphere), this thing seems to have been created as a pure expression of the maker spirit. Mansheng really had no need for a hovering blade collective, but there was still a lingering question of whether or not it could be done. So he built one.

Normally this is where I'd applaud the man's creative drive, but at the same time I'm trying not to laugh at how horrifically dangerous this machine would be both to its pilot and anyone nearby. It's like a callback to Soviet-era engineering when devices were constructed to function at all costs, even if that meant decapitating a few dozen hapless volunteers.

Also, did you notice the sentence that mentions Mansheng's education? This guy is a "junior middle school graduate" -- and that's Chinese middle school, so it's probably safe to bet he wasn't attending advanced lectures on aerodynamic theory. I can only imagine what Mansheng might have built if he had a college degree.

I'm pretty sure it would have lasers.

Source: Boing Boing [http://boingboing.net/2011/09/21/china-gentleman-builds-homemade-flying-contraption-powered-by-eight-motorcycle-engines.html]

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
Why was I thinking of a warrior bot going bladestorm when I read the topic? :O

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Say what you will about the man, he has a magnificent head of hair doesn't he? Of course since mine is thinning I envy everyone who still has all of theirs. I wonder if that thing could be used for any practical application like, wheat harvesting?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Kind of reminds me of that weird behedding wall from Caligula.
Remember that scene? The mass execution scene: the one that didn't include any incest or sexual assault?

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Maybe he should start a kickstarter campaign so that he can afford said college education. Because... well, Lasers. Just Lasers.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Dangerous as this thing may be, You've got to admire the man. I mean, he's a farmer with a middle junior school education, and he has managed to create a mass decapitator(among other uses I imagine)that can FLY.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Sweet, he built a chinese version early stage prototype of one of those spinny-blade flying vehicles from The Incredibles! :-D

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Space Jawa said:
Sweet, he built a chinese version early stage prototype of one of those spinny-blade flying vehicles from The Incredibles! :-D
Exactly what I was thinking...

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Now all he needs is a rocket engine to make him jump on people with his spinning death blades.
I would totally play that game.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
I can only imagine what Mansheng might have built if he had a college degree.
Probably a teacups ride that kills you. He could team up with a certain Lithuanian and open Euthanasia Land.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
When I read the title, I was thinking something like: one farmer just couldn't take it anymore, so he built his dream machine to rain pain. Yeah, this would make a great movie, I demand it to be so!

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Cool though this is, I'm not quite certain how this is any more terrifying or deadly than a standard prop-engine passenger aircraft. It's not exactly safe to step out of the cockpit when the engines are running with many of those, either.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I figure he's an evil genius in training, building his first impractical death machine. He needs some henchmen now.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
So...a junior middle schooler build this? Impressive, I'm guessing this thing is his ticket to top university.

And to everyone being a smart ass about the kid. What did you do when you were in middle school? Throw paper balls at girls? Yeah, he's building an aircraft here.

He just made a flying machine for ~3 000$, four times cheaper than a car, by his senior year he'll probably be able to make something that actually flyes quite well.