Free Broken Sword For All

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Free Broken Sword For All

Good Old Games is about to hit 6 million unique game downloads, and to celebrate, they're giving away free stuff.

If you go to GOG.com [http://www.gog.com/] right this very second, you'll see a counter in the center of the screen that tracks the number of downloads from the service. When the counter hits the 6 million mark, the lucky user who tipped the scales will receive a copy of every game in the service's catalog. Every single one. That's just over 300 titles - from the titular good old games such as Wing Commander, to newer, but no less good, titles such asThe Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. What's more, when the six million mark is reached, remastered point-and-click classic Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Directors Cut will be free to download for everyone with a GOG account.

GOG would like to remind you that the tracker is counting "unique" downloads, so re-downloading games you already own isn't going to net you the big prize. Buying lots of cheap games just might, however. Considering GOG's current sale has Dungeons and Dragons based classics like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment for 60% off, well ... this is as good a reason as any to break out the credit card of wildly irresponsible spending +1.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
If you haven't played Planescape Torment do yourself a favor and do so. Immediately get over the interface and make a fighter character who maxes wisdom, then int, then any leftover points in charisma. Turn the difficulty down if you want, the game isn't about the combat.

Then do yourself a favor and let yourself explore the world, click everything you can, mouse over everything interesting, talk to every NPC, do ALL the side quests, they don't get old. And stop to READ the dialog. Everything about the game is the apex of professional world-building craftsmanship. In that game you are experiencing a work of art from the inside.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
classic game broken sword, but the original is better than the director's cut!
Still freebies count for something!

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
Sadly, since GOG is based in Europe my credit card thinks it's a scam whenever I try to buy anything...

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
...I might just bust my pants. That is some of the greatest, most amazing news I've heard all week. Whoooo!

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
So does it add to the counter when you buy a game, or when you start downloading it?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Always up for some free games. Don't know if I will take advantage of the D&D sale though. Already have BG2, PS:T, and NN:G, and money is rather tight lately...

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Ser Imp said:
Man but I wish I had a credit card, or the money saved.
Look into getting a cash card. You prepay money onto it and use it for electronic purchases. Can't overcharge and if anyone hacks your details they are getting the $2 you haven't spent yet.

OT: I just bought the Broken Sword collection... Twice... once in a store (didn't work ?3 I didn't care much) and off Steam during a daily deal or something. Oh well.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Damn. I can't buy anything atm because I'm getting a new card.

Oh, and I'm trying to not spend all my money on games. There's that too.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
how about another free game? I already have the broken sword games via GOG :p

Broken Sword...brings back memories....

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
kane.malakos said:
Sadly, since GOG is based in Europe my credit card thinks it's a scam whenever I try to buy anything...
Dont have paypal?

OT: Looks like gog is going to steal lots of my money with the current deal and a free game is just a total win xD

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Hmm, I might just take advantage of that sale thing. Never played Baldur's Gate. Which, apparently, I should have.

And another free game later is a plus as well.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I wish I wasn't poor. Old school isometric DnD RPGs are so what I want to play right now. =(

kiri2tsubasa said:
Just bought Planescape: Torment for only $7.99 (promo going on). After that I bought Dungeon Keeper 2. Anything else worth recommending?
Arcanum!

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Sounds good, seeing as my other copy is linked to the steam account that I now can't access. Thankfully I joined GOG quite recently, so this has worked out quite nicely.