Microsoft Accidentally Identifies Chrome As "Severe Threat"

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Microsoft Accidentally Identifies Chrome As "Severe Threat"

Talk about embarrassing: Thanks to a tiny error, Microsoft's security tools removed Chrome from almost 3,000 folks' computers.

We generally trust anti-virus software to keep our computers safe for us, working quietly in the background while we go about our daily work/web-surfing/gaming. That said, what happens when the latest security update labels a legit program a risk and automatically removes it? A number of people learned the result today, since Microsoft's security tools started removing Google Chrome from computers and preventing the re-installation, claiming the program was a "severe threat."

It turns out that Chrome was being removed from PCs running on the Windows platform are identifying Chrome as a variant of the infamous Zeus ("Zbot") family of viruses. A number of Chrome users noted the problem, but this particular one identified the specific issue:

MSE Versions:

Security Essentials Version: 2.1.1116.0
Antimalware Client Version: 3.0.8402.0
Engine Version: 1.1.7702.0
Antivirus definition: 1.113.656.0
Antispyware definition: 1.113.656.0

This whole situation was pretty bizarre, especially since Microsoft Security Essentials wasn't the only thing that wound up having problems with Chrome's presence. It was also revealed that Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection was nuking Chrome from orbit; this isn't too surprising, since both use the same anti-malware system.

Microsoft, unsurprisingly, wound up scrambling to resolve the situation as quickly as possible. The company <a href=https://www.facebook.com/msftmmpc/posts/10150311580853461>made a post on its official Malware Protection Center's Facebook page:

"On September 30th, 2011, an incorrect detection for PWS:Win32/Zbot was identified and as a result, Google Chrome was inadvertently blocked and in some cases removed from customers PCs. We have already fixed the issue -- we released an updated signature (1.113.672.0) at 9:57 am PDT -- but approximately 3,000 customers were impacted. Affected customers should manually update Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) with the latest signatures. To do this, simply launch MSE, go to the update tab and click the Update button, and then reinstall Google Chrome. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused our customers."

Thankfully this was a pretty easy situation to resolve, as re-installing Chrome is free and only takes a moment or two. Still, it's a little scary that such a widely-used program could be identified as a threat that had to be removed thanks to such a small error.

Source: <a href=http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/microsoft-security-tools-nuking-chrome-browser/9515>ZDNet and <a href=http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220435/Microsoft_kills_Google_Chrome_with_bad_malware_signature>Computer World

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
>.> wow, that's pretty bad.

on the 'who'd the dumb ass that coded this cause thy ass in in yon sling royally' level

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
And I was one of the lucky few who didn't have that happen to me as I use Chrome and nothing happened to me.

Still, that's a bit of a cock up there.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hmm... This wouldn't have anything to do with Microsoft suffering millions of dollars in losses from their competing Bing search engine, would it? I can see it now:

Microsoft Exec: "Team, I want you to program MSE to get Google Chrome off people's computers... and make it look like an accident."

Programmer: "But sir, isn't that an extremely unethical business practice?"

Microsoft Exec: "Who cares? Just reprogram MSE to kill Chrome. If it works, we'll make Bing a huge success overnight. If people get mad, we'll just patch MSE back to the way it was and no one will ever know."

Programmer: "Sir, this plan is both highly unethical and unbelievably stupid. It's not right, and I won't do it."

Microsoft Exec: "I understand completely, Johnson. That's why I'm planning to give out special awards to all Microsoft employees who value their personal integrity over making lots of money. The awards are printed on beautiful pink paper."

Programmer: "I'll get right on it."

Okay, okay; I'm done beating up on Microsoft... for now.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
DanDeFool said:
"*Bing!*I have an idea.... (Muahahahaha!!!!)

I cannot feel confident in a search engine (A) by Microsoft and (B) has to have commercials because nobody gives a [bing] about it because they already have Google and Yahoo (hee hee). This could have all been one big misunderstanding or one big Microrage against Google that got out of hand. I haven't followed how it's doing, but I want to take your word that it's suffering. Bing's as unnecessary as Google+, so perhaps this is all really some convuluted circle that will slap some corporate entity's unloved byproduct of "Jones vs Smiths syndrome."

If this did hit me, I wouldn't be surprised (because Win7 has given me little but trouble), but overall not impacted much because I prefer Firefox and Chrome's merely my backup.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
It was an accident that they didn't covered their asses good enough.

How did everybody else entered this thread? I had to try every digit in increment after the forums/read in the URL because no link that directed to here seemed to work?

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
I have had the hamster responsible... dealt with. ALL COMMENTING MAY NOW RESUME ON THE NEWSING

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Yeeeah, riiight. A mistaaake.

Did it also "accidentally" re-install IE 7 to the computers as well?

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Z-bot Virus
Summary:
This type of trojan secretly installs spy programs and/or keylogger programs.

I honestly don't blame Windows Anti-Malware programs for picking up Chrome for something similar to this. Who's to say Google isn't doing that when their search engine is basically a log of everything you type into it, to the point where it tailors the ads to you if you use it long enough.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Man am I glad I don't use any Microsoft security tools (and go so far as to tell them "do not download" with every update)... there are better ones out there that are every bit as free.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
it's a proportional 'few', compared to the millions using Chrome :)

It could have been an accident of course, it's just hard to believe, being so delightfully convenient, like a Mcdonald's employee in uniform, taking a crate of rats thru Burger King because it's a shortcut and then drops it, flooding BK with diseased vermin. It's an accident, but there were some stupid choices made, and it's gonna be real hard to convince people :)

NOTE: Legally I should say, I don't have any idea why either member of staff would be carrying a crate of rats to a fast food restaurant's kitchen.

Feb 13, 2008
scha·den·freu·de
&#8194; &#8194;[shahd-n-froi-duh]
noun
satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune.

By the way, under those conditions, why didn't it notice Firefox, Opera or Exploder?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
scha·den·freu·de
&#8194; &#8194;[shahd-n-froi-duh]
noun
satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune.

By the way, under those conditions, why didn't it notice Firefox, Opera or Exploder?
I'm sure that it accidentally will if Firefox ever created a rival search engine. It really confuses their security. Especially if that search engine is popular.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
I read the title in my mind as "Microsoft sees Google as a Severe Threat."

But, I still don't see how it could find Crome as a threat...

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
It certainly is a "Severe Threat" eh Microsoft? Ho ho ho.

I'm not funny I know.