Study Claims Profanity Causes Aggression

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Study Claims Profanity Causes Aggression

Researchers at Brigham Young University claim that profanity in videogames and television causes aggressive behavior in kids.

A BYU study asking 223 young teenagers about their favorite videogames and television shows and how often they cursed found that kids who are exposed to profanity are more likely to use profanity themselves, which isn't terribly surprising. What is a bit of a surprise, however, is that they're also reportedly more likely "hit, kick and punch others, or engage in non-physical aggressive behavior like gossiping and spreading rumors about someone."

"Profanity is kind of like a stepping stone. You don't go to a movie, hear a bad word, and then go shoot somebody. But when youth both hear and then try profanity out for themselves it can start a downward slide toward more aggressive behavior," said BYU family professor and study Dr. Sarah Coyne, who refrains from swearing herself due to an "honor code" at the university that forbids the use of naughty language by both students at staff.

Ohio State University Professor Brad Bushman, who was not involved in the study but has taken part in previous media-critical research [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109455-Study-Claims-Anti-Game-Research-More-Reliable], said the BYU study demonstrates that "profanity is not harmless."

"Children exposed to profanity in the media think that such language is 'normal,' which may reduce their inhibitions about using profanity themselves," he said in a statement of his own.

But as usual, not everyone agrees with Coyne's conclusions. Psychology professor Dr. Timothy Jay of the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts said the assumption that language can harm kids is without any basis and noted that previous research has demonstrated that words, including the bad ones, can actually have a beneficial effect.

"There is literature that shows the prosocial effects of media on children, the authors ignore these reports," he told Fox News [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/10/17/swearing-on-tv-linked-to-teen-aggression/]. "The authors make no case for profanity being beneficial, as in humor elicitation, or social bonding, or as a coping mechanism, or as a relief from pain."

Source: CBS News [http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20121459-10391704.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Well I've been playing GTA for the last 8 years or so and all I can say is that a load of ****ing ****ing, **** taking, **** smashing nonsense.

....*twitch*

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
Well fuck that. I've been swearing most of my teenage life and I've never been violent to anyone, we can't play games, we can't watch films and now we can't use the english language. Fuck. That. Shit.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Researchers at Brigham Young University ...

I kid, I kid.

who refrains from swearing herself due to an "honor code" at the university that forbids the use of naughty language by both students at staff.
This is very different then the Honor Code I have at my school. Glad I didn't go to BYU.

Now, on topic, I don't know. I don't use profanities much myself. Still, that's kind of a stretch for me. Just kinda.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
It might be true. It might be not.

But I for one am still waiting for the day that researchers discover that "People who X also do Y" does not necessarily mean X causes Y.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Fuck-shit-damn-Barbara Streisand.

Nope, I don't feel any more aggressive.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Yeah, the aggressive behaviour is caused by the profanity, and not by the fact that media that contains profanity is more likely to be aggressive itself.

This study is a load of bullshit AND I'LL TEAR DOWN THE HEAD OF ANYONE WHO DISAGREES AND SHIT DOWN THEIR FUCKING NECKS! AAAAAAAARGH

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
I do try intersperse the swearing with some very fanciful words. such as "dissolute dickhead" or "facetious f**ktard". Alliteration helps keep the comedic tone : p

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Most people swear, some people are violent. There's a crossover. Surprise!

"Dr. Sarah Coyne, who refrains from swearing herself due to an "honor code" at the university that forbids the use of naughty language by both students at staff."

... well at least they were impartial beforehand. Swearing is expressive, stifling it just because its "naughty", and completely disregarding context, is stupid.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
TimeLord said:
Well I've been playing GTA for the last 8 years or so and all I can say is that a load of ****ing ****ing, **** taking, **** smashing nonsense.

....*twitch*
I lol'd.

Also no. Violent people play violent games. Non-violent people play violent games. Violent people swear a lot. Non-violent people swear a lot.
Take me, I swear a hell of a lot. I'm a big lover of swearing and I do it often but I'm a smart guy who's not violent. I know that doesn't disprove the article but at least it's an example that opposes it.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Hello, rating system.

Profanity is one of the things that can bump a show or movie (or game) up a rating level, so uninhibited use of profanity is most often found in R-rated media. And R-ratings just happen to also be where people can be most liberal with violence, right?

Aug 25, 2009
I'm just waiting for the 'Researchers say Aggression causes Aggression.' It's coming.

As for this, fuck it. It all depends on context. If I swear because I stubbed my toe it channels the aggression away. if I swear because it was buggering frezing in belfast today when I came home from work then it gives me something to focus on. Trying to swear continuously for a three minute walk gives you some mental exercise as well.

If someone swears before you start a fight, or to insult someone, obviously it's going to cause aggression. But if I call someone a coward, or a wimp, or a homosexual, it's just as likely to cause offence to some people as if I used an actual swear word.

Context context, always context.

KennardKId5

May 26, 2011
NEWS FLASH:
Captain Obvious tells us that he is Captain Obvious!
Well, no shit. What goddamn idiot doesn't know that. I play tons of fucking videogames and I don't fucking swear, you piece of shit assholes!

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
KennardKId5 said:
NEWS FLASH:
Captain Obvious tells us that he is Captain Obvious!
Well, no shit. What goddamn idiot doesn't know that. I play tons of fucking videogames and I don't fucking swear, you piece of shit assholes!
I can't tell if that's a joke or not. I, for your sake, hope that it is, in fact, a joke.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Anecdote time!

I didn't use profanity at all for years, despite having a father (and his friends) who swore like mad.

Then came the basement flood. I learned how to swear quite well as I tried to salvage my life out of knee-deep brackish water.

And yet, my temperament towards others hasn't changed one bit. I'm just like I always was.

I still don't use profanity in general conversation (though I'm a little more relaxed about it online) but as a cathartic thing there's nothing quite like swearing. I swear by it!:)