New York Comic Con 2011: Preview: Max Payne 3

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
New York Comic Con 2011: Preview: Max Payne 3

[gallery=516]
Max Payne is back, and he's got tight gunplay, impressive animation, and a manly beard.

You may love playing the Max Payne games, but let's face it: you wouldn't really want to be this guy. When he's not busy losing friends and family to the caprices of crime, he's getting shot at or drowning his sorrows in alcohol. Nevertheless, Max stands out as one of the most memorable characters in action gaming. Ten years ago, he took players on a bullet time tour of the mean streets of New York, and returned with a popular sequel two years later. Now, Max is back for a third installment, which Rockstar was eager to show me during my time at New York Comic Con 2011.

A PR representative at Rockstar gave me a hands-off demonstration of its latest project in action. The game is still quite far from being finished (the release date is currently March 2012), but most of the vital components seem to be in place.

The game begins several years after Max Payne 2, and life has not exactly been easy for our time-slowing hero. Max has been living in squalor in the slums of New York when his old friend Raul Passos offers him a chance to relocate to a private security firm in Brazil. Before Max has a chance to think it over, a motley Mafia crew shows up outside Max's door, demanding revenge for the murder of a Don's son.

Max springs into action right away, and the gameplay should be immediately familiar to any fan of third-person shooters. As Max traverses the hallways of his apartment building, he shoots down a horde of Mafia hitmen. Max can pick up two small guns (and dual-wield them, if he desires) as well as one larger weapon. The gunplay looked tight and controlled, and while cover is a valuable resource, running-and-gunning is still a viable strategy. Unlike many modern action heroes, Max has no regenerative properties: the only way to stem bleeding and restore health is through the use of a limited supply of painkillers.

Of course, the most recognizable feature of a Max Payne game is bullet time, which the original helped to popularize in videogames. Using this now-ubiquitous mechanic, Max can slow down time while he evades and returns enemy fire. While the technique is mechanically similar to the previous entries, the graphics help keep it fresh. Each bullet is individually rendered, and upon killing the last enemy in an area, the player can control the speed of the final shot, making the death as fast or as cinematic as individual tastes allow. Furthermore, since there is no scripted way to tell who the last man standing will be or how he will die, no two bullet time cinematics will ever be the same.

The representative was quick to point out that one of Max Payne's most identifiable traits is its inclusion of many surreal elements, and Max Payne 3 will not disappoint on this front. While the demo focused mostly on shooting, it did take a memorable break for the rantings and ravings of a pyromaniac, armed-to-the-teeth, conspiracy theorist hobo. It's definitely not something you see in every action game.
While the second part of the demo loaded, the PR associate assured me that in the final product, there will be no loading times; one sequence will flow seamlessly into the next. He also explained that while many fans have expressed concern about Max's story moving from New York to Brazil, the City That Never Sleeps will still play a huge role in the narrative.

The story resumes in Brazil where Max - sporting an impressive beard and a shaved head - must protect Raul's girlfriend, Giovanna. Here, the graphic novel-style cutscenes players know and love are back in full force. Instead of static images, however, the game opts for more of a "motion comic" style, involving stylized character images, dramatic camera angles, and gaudy text overlays.

The core gameplay was fairly similar in this segment: Max makes use of the environment, his weapons, and bullet time to take down groups of badguys. In one especially stylish sequence, Max swings from a crane hook as bullet time automatically kicks in and he clears out a room full of enemies on his way down. In another set piece, Max hides in an abandoned bus while a squadron of paramilitary goons hunts for him. Rockstar highlighted the enemies' intelligent pathfinding skills here, demonstrating how the soldiers fan out and search for Max in a realistic but totally unscripted manner.

The representative also directed my attention towards the character animation, which I must admit was impressive. Max shifts his weight as he walks, protects his head during falls, and keeps his balance while running sideways. This is because James McCaffrey, Max's longtime voice actor, performed all of the motion capture for the character himself. The Euphoria animation software combines "thousands of blended animations" to create some very realistic motions.

The game is still rough around the edges, but Rockstar still has six months to polish it. While Max Payne 3 is definitely not the game nostalgic fans will remember, it looks to have made some impressive strides while staying true to the series's core concepts. Max Payne may have a rough life, his misery could be your gain come March.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Meh. Well, we'll see. I doubt that it could be as good as the originals (since Remedy is not developing this one), but it could still be okay. Won't hold too much hope though... Trading New York for Brazil is still a big mistake in my book.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
The way you describe it makes me almost want to be hopeful that it will do its predecessors proud, almost.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
Meh. Well, we'll see. I doubt that it could be as good as the originals (since Remedy is not developing this one), but it could still be okay. Won't hold too much hope though... Trading New York for Brazil is still a big mistake in my book.
Remedy developed original Max Payne and Max Payne 2 with Rockstar's help. Rockstar was a co-developer and the publisher. So Max is in good hands.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
The immediate problem I see here is that Max used to not have a limited inventory. Sure, he could only carry a few bullets and painkillers, but he could hold as many guns as he could find, and now they've taken that away. Rockstar, here's a hint: look how much good that did for Duke.

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, I never would think this would happen. Rockstar are actually going to release Max Payne 3 next year. And here I thought we were overdue another mainstream GTA game.

At least the gameplay hasn't changed to match the 'modern' shooter. Bullet time is still a key part of gameplay, its not going to be 'cover based' and Max hasn't stolen Wolverine's X gene.

The return of the graphic novel is indeed welcome but I'm not sure if I agree with the motion comic approach, but that may change if I get the game.

Thats right if. As much as I loved the first two games I still have issues with the way this could go.

The weapon limits I could forgive if, and only if, they don't add checkpoints.

I may be alone in this but whenever I play Max Payne 1 and 2 I'm constantly hammering quick save and quick load in order to get through sections using as little ammo and health as possible.

Oh and Rockstar, although this may be a very small hope, please stay away from any sort of online fuctionality, Max Payne is not the sort of game that could work with co-op nor one that could take on CoD or Battlefield for competitive multiplayer. Don't try.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It'll be interesting to see whether they can pace a linear game properly, because they sure as hell didn't managed it in RDR or GTA IV.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Dammit, I'm trying to not get excited about this!
But all this previewing is making that mighty difficult...
Either way, I'm really hoping it'll come out awesome.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I'm liking it

BreakfastMan said:
Trading Racoon City for Spain worked for Resident Evil.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Sorry, but this sounds like everything I've been wanting in a sequel to the series. Rockstar seems to be doing what it can to make a modern game while keeping in all the classic elements of the first two.

No regen health
Bullet time and dives a heavy part of the gameplay.
Dual weilding, with a small tweak.
Max Payne still being voiced (and motion captured this time) by James McCaffery.

The only thing I'm worried about so far is the multiplayer. I know it's pretty much something you have to put into any shooter nowadays, but I'm still nervous it's going to divert focus from the single player experience. Rockstar so far hasn't done that in a title they developed that I know of, so I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Bob_Marley42

Apr 8, 2009
Unscripted AI? What? It seems that they've entirely missed the point. Max Payne game are John Woo Film: The Game. It should be all about set pieces and scripting! Additionally, two small guns and a big 'un? Whats all this? Now, as I recall inspector Tequila rolls up to his one man ambush with an MP5, shotgun and .357 revolver (and a some 'nades and probably a few weapons I can't remember!). Weapon limits have no place in a game with play like Max Payne (where situational need could switch you from an SMG to an Assault Rifle to Sniper Rifle to automatic shotgun in less than a minuite and a half). Also, Why is Max even here, he got his ending at the end of Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (regardless of which ending one got), he finished his quest and finally made peace with the world and his own internal deamons.This game reeks of blatant profiteering with no regard for the fanbase or story.

My Max is done, I won't be buying.

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Remedy developed original Max Payne and Max Payne 2 with Rockstar's help. Rockstar was a co-developer and the publisher. So Max is in good hands.
Except creative control, the meat of the game and what gave Max Payne its uniqueness, stayed within Remedy's (specifically, Sam Lake's) hands.

Rockstar are giving this IP the Rockstar Treatment (haw haw). Adding and changing core mechanics like limited inventory and cover-based mechanics doesn't stylistically follow what the series' gameplay as been about.
As a cynicist, I'll probably enjoy playing this GTA: Sao Paulo. But at the back of my mind I'll probably still feel that it could have been better with Sam Lake back behind the reins.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
Staying in New York would have been an even bigger mistake.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
The lack of faith in a developer that releases nothing but critically acclaimed, genuinely enjoyable and quantum leap executing games disturbs me.

I know beyond a doubt that this will be good, and I have every reason to believe that all the evolutions in the game will be for the good.

What many seem to forget, by the descriptions in the comments, limitations in inventory and the like are only an issue if the game itself makes it so.

There is nothing inherently different between stacking all guns in your bottomless trousers or having them obtainable as the situation would dictate.

Although, a weakness that is present is a proven inability to create a story with any form of urgency/drama due to the manner in which story progression is achieved. I hope they own what this game is about, a narrative, and not worry themselves with placing emphasis on open world elements and therefore emptying the soul.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well, it does sound interesting and all but still not sure. i will keep an eye on it but not with big hopes. bold and in brazil just doesnt sound good but well, all we can do is just speculate about the infos we have and the final product might surprise us.
so just wait and see.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
It actually looks pretty cool. I hope that they can capture the soul of the previous games while improving it with new world techniques. At least they have DNF as a "The best ways to NOT do it right". Let´s hope that they use that rare opportunity.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Baaaah!

Rockstar, you know I love ya, baby.

*backhands Rockstar*

But cut this shit out! Get to work on Red Dead 3 and let the Max Payne franchise die like the dated tripe it is!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
nice beard but uh whoa bald bald bald!

lol but admittedly I never really got to try out the 2 older games much back in the day soooo hopefully this will be worth a try for the current gen