Extra Punctuation: What Kinect Can Do

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Yeah, and it was alot more sh*t than the reveal thing made it out to be, with the Milo and kate thing, which looked amazing but was Molyneux bull, probably why they got him to do it actually

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
Personally I think it should be for short games that are simple and fun to play, that's all. That's why I liked Fruit Ninja Kinect. It's fun, and you can play every now and then and still keep coming back for more.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
So, more non-games like flOw or Flower? Sure, make those, just don't expect me to buy them. I nearly bored myself to death with how uninteresting flOw was.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I don't have the 360th Box of X, but is there anyone out there who's curious about the new Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor title using the Kinect for secondary controls? It looks rather nifty.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Motion controls weren't fun when the Power Glove was released. Advancing the technology has proven that it was never meant to be fun. Can we all get over the gimmicky crap and stick to making mainstream titles better?

And "apropos." Way to use that Word of the Day Calander, Yahtzee. Have you ever spoken that word aloud in an appropriate sentence? If not, let's hope tomorrow's word is "pretentious."

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Normally I could care less about this stuff, but I was amused when I discovered the "trick" so I figured I'd let it out:

The title for "AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!" is fairly simple to remember if you think of it as a pattern of five A's, with an increasing number of capitals, starting with one. After it's all caps, you're done!

SnakeoilSage said:
And "apropos." Way to use that Word of the Day Calander, Yahtzee. Have you ever spoken that word aloud in an appropriate sentence? If not, let's hope tomorrow's word is "pretentious."
Really? I was always of the impression that the phrase "apropos of nothing" was a pretty common one. I know I've used it and heard it used many a time. Never felt like it was even all that uncommon, and I definitely don't consider myself a sesquipedalian (which, as a google search easily found, is a word used to describe someone who uses large words). Case in point, I had to look that up :p

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
That is why I think the voice command in Mass Effect 3 is a feature that might work with Kinect. You don't need to take your fingers out of the controller, and having to shout commands is more natural and immersive than a button combination (which, in turn, takes you out of the action).

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
Kinect should augment the controller not replace it, I've been saying this since I first saw it in action, Mass Effect has the right idea.

sumanai

Jan 17, 2008
I don't see how a game focusing on spell casting couldn't work. It would have to focus on cerebral challenge instead of reflex or speed though. And mistakes shouldn't put you back too much, if the Kinect really makes mistakes even when moving slowly.

I've also heard "apropos of nothing" said out loud. I think is was in a movie but I didn't think then or now that it was pretentious. Just one of those phrases that exist. Is calling people pretentious for using uncommon words one of those online hipster things?

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Personally, I think the Kinect would have been a lot better if it had split the controller into two halves that it always knows the position and orientation of, much like the Wii-remote

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
SnakeoilSage said:
The man's a professional writer. [em]Of course[/em] he's going to have a vocabulary. He could probably even tell you the word's etymology (he studied Latin, after all).

And yes, it is entirely apropos to use 'apropos' in everyday conversation. (And if you're a new EMACS user, you're using it a lot :).)

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
coldfrog said:
Normally I could care less about this stuff, but I was amused when I discovered the "trick" so I figured I'd let it out:

The title for "AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!" is fairly simple to remember if you think of it as a pattern of five A's, with an increasing number of capitals, starting with one. After it's all caps, you're done!
As we say here at work: +1

Daniel Forman

May 1, 2011
Nothing at all for the xbox, but for minecraft, it can do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2mCDkqXki0

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I wanted a Wii just to play Endless Ocean... Then I finally got Endless Ocean (I refused to play damn near full price for a used game) but the Wii had been shelfed and collecting dust by that point... So... I've yet to actually play it...

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
You should take a look at Steel Battalion 2. It'll be a gamer game with real controls, using the kinect for extraneous not-so-essential interactions with the mech cockpit. I actually thought it was exactly what you were talking about when you made that suggestion in your video, but it seems you haven't heard of it.

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, I understand that he wants a controller that also utilizes motion controls. So, what about Move? Sure, you're not using parts of your body to manipulate the game, but when I played Heavy Rain with Move enabled, I was able to sit and relax on the couch while both knowing I had a controller in my hands and being immersed in the game. The motion feedback was near perfect as well.