Prisoner Builds Final Fantasy Arsenal Out Of Matchsticks

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Prisoner Builds Final Fantasy Arsenal Out Of Matchsticks

An inmate in a Welsh prison built Final Fantasy weapons out of matchsticks.

The guards of a prison located in Monmouthshire, Wales were surprised to find an impressive arsenal of replica knives that a prisoner had assembled entirely out of matchsticks and glue. The prisoner in question, though, must have a soft spot for JRPGs, as some of his creations are clearly from Final Fantasy.

Fans of the series will immediately recognize Cloud's Buster Sword from Final Fantasy VII, as well as a gunblade, the favored weapon of Squall from Final Fantasy VIII. I don't quite recognize the design of the rest of the weapons, but a few appear to be inspired by the anime series Bleach.

Despite looking like props a convention attendee would slap together last minute, the replicas were reported have been sharpened to the point where they could actually cause harm, and the prison's Governer, Steve Cross, stated that the weapons were realistic enough that "[They] presented a genuine threat to the safety of staff, visitors and other prisoners."

There's no word as to if the prisoner constructed the matchstick swords out of boredom, intent to harm fellow inmates or possibly for use in a grand adventure to save the world.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3908486/Lags-cell-arsenal-made-from-tiny-sticks.html]

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Man...that'd be one epic prison riot full of minute long glares, delaration of attack names and tits.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
The two on the left look like Sephiroth's weapon and a Keyblade from Kingdom Hearts. Dunno about the middle two.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
kurupt87 said:
The two on the left look like Sephiroth's weapon and a Keyblade from Kingdom Hearts. Dunno about the middle two.
How does it look like a keyblade?

That's awesome though, you've got to give kudos to the prisoner who made them.
Bit of a shame that they were sharp and had to be confiscated though, they were probably destroyed after this photo was taken.

Sad times.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
And that is how a real man breaks out of prison. With materia and zanpakuto AS BIG AS A HUMAN TORSO!

Honestly though, if he were really planning to use these to harm someone, why put so much effort into it? People may be pretty crazy in prison, but if I were gonna stab a guy, I would use something more utilitarian. Small and pointy is easier to hide than TORSO SIZE!

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
The real one man A-Team ... builds matchstick swords in his cell.

Shame they let him loose with copper tubing, he's nearly finished his tank.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Revnak said:
And that is how a real man breaks out of prison. With materia and zanpakuto AS BIG AS A HUMAN TORSO!

Honestly though, if he were really planning to use these to harm someone, why put so much effort into it? People may be pretty crazy in prison, but if I were gonna stab a guy, I would use something more utilitarian. Small and pointy is easier to hide than TORSO SIZE!
Well, maybe he respected his enemy and wanted him to go out in style.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
These were obviously made to save the world! What else could it have been?! Now we're all fucked, thanks for killing the planet prison guards...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Danm that impressive! That is one way to be proactive. I wonder what he was charged for? I can easily picture a riot scene with him running around with those props.

Aiden Raine

Oct 3, 2011
from right to left:

some loser's buster sword
some loser's gunblade
not sure about this one...
Zangetsu
Zabimaru
random katana

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Quaxar said:
Revnak said:

Well, maybe he respected his enemy and wanted him to go out in style.
If he really respected his enemy then that Tensa Zangetsu on the left would have a manji for a guard and some links of chain on the end. This man would have brought dishonor to both his and his adversary's families had he used such a blade. Not to mention that he probably didn't take the time to make a badass coat and cover himself with bandages. HOW CAN SOMEONE USE TENSA ZANGETSU WITHOUT A BADASS COAT AND BANDAGES!?!?!

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Of course, in the UK, "authorities" consider anything with an edge narrower than the edge of one's hand to be "sharp enough to cause harm". I'm surprised they didn't just come out and say "We confiscated them to make sure he didn't accidentally hurt himself."

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
Aiden Raine said:
from right to left:

some loser's buster sword
some loser's gunblade
not sure about this one...
Zangetsu
Zabimaru
random katana
For those playing at home "Zangetsu and Zabimaru are swords of Ichigo, and Renji, respectivly, from the anime samurai-ghost hoedown "Bleach"

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
From right to left:

Cloud's Buster Sword: Final Fantasy 7
Siefer's (not Squall's) Gunblade: Final Fantasy 8
A carving knife. (Don't recognize it from any particular series)
Ichigo's zanpakutou, Zangetsu: Bleach
Renji's zanpakutou, Zabimaru: Bleach
Kenshin's Reverse-blade sword: Rorouni Kenshin

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
I hear a story like this and imagine an inmate holding out one of the Bleach-related swords and saying "Shank the nearest fool, Yaminosuke" and then his sword becomes an improbably shaped killing machine with special powers that shoots fireballs.