Rumor: Dragon Age Getting Multiplayer

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Rumor: Dragon Age Getting Multiplayer

PvP arena combat and playable, fire-breathing doom lizards might be coming to BioWare's largest fantasy franchise.

According to an industry insider, BioWare has decided to move its popular Dragon Age franchise beyond its traditionally single-player model. It's still unclear if the mode will be part of a seemingly inevitable third installment of the series or the basis of a standalone spinoff title (like Guardian of Light was to Tomb Raider). What he or she was sure of, however, was that it was being built on DICE's Frostbite 2 game engine, the same used for Battlefield 3.

The game's multiplayer will reportedly be arena-based, combining or allowing PvE (player versus environment) and PvP (player versus player). The source also claims that we'll be seeing some PvP-CD, which is a term I just invented for "player versus player-controlled dragons." Yes, supposedly, there will be playable dragons. According to the source, things already look "stunning."

Playing as a dragon and trying to turn one of my buddies into the middle third of a s'more manwich sounds like it could be fun, but I think the question that gamers will likely ask is: why? They asked it when Mass Effect announced the mode [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113878-Bioware-Appeals-For-Calm-Regarding-Mass-Effect-3-Multiplayer], and EA is kidding itself if it doesn't think players will ask it now. Still, Guardians of Light worked well enough, and if done in the right way, Dragon Age is a robust enough concept for this to work too. That being said, this is still all just a rumor folks, so, for now, keep that anger and/or excitement in your greaves.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5863668/surprise-dragon-age-getting-multiplayer]

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
If this is rumor is correct, then it is true Bioware has sold their soul to the EA devil.

Simonccx

Apr 15, 2009
That would explain why DA2 was so awful, they are just making another game with the same name for sales purposes....

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
If that's the case, I certainly won't be buying it. I liked the first Dragon Age, and I'm considering checking out the second, but this just sounds ridiculous.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAGGGGGHH!

Is the only rendition of my emotions I can possibly emote to this.

Apr 28, 2008
God dammit EA. Not everything needs fucking multiplayer.

Skyirm proved you don't need multiplayer. At all. So stop putting it where it doesn't fucking belong just so you can put an online pass on the thing.

Assuming this is true, of course. I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Fucking... Why does everything need multiplayer? I wanna play alone damnit! Origins really was the end of an age, it seems. Fare thee well, strong narrative driven RPG's that kick your ass at every turn...

Olivia Faraday

Mar 30, 2011
Oh, crap.

This is ... not good. At all. When I heard the multiplayer pitch for ME3, I was totally ecstatic. Bioware adding multiplayer in a way that added to the experience rather than being more arbitrary penis-waving on XBL? Wonderful!

But this is ... bad. I loved DA:O and I was actually a big fan of DA2, the most polarizing game of all time. But this could seriously ruin the series if it's handled poorly. I've been really hoping for ME3's style of co-op gameplay, but PVP? Arena? This changes the entire tone of what Bioware games are really about: the immersive single-player experience.

My heart just sunk to my toes.

Amanda Diamond

Nov 2, 2011
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no hell no no no no no no no no god no no no no no no no no no no no no. Just no.

The Woolly One

Nov 25, 2010
I'm guessing I'm the only person who kinda likes the idea.

Its built on Frostbite 2.
A PvP arena won't impact any SP.
YOU CAN PLAY AS A DRAGON.

Like ME3, I'd rather it stayed SP only but I'm not gonna go ballistic about something I know next to nothing about and has yet to be confirmed by Bioware.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Queue rage from fanbase!

Good thing Bioware hasn't made a game I liked in quite some time, otherwise I would be upset about this.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Dont do it, Flight. Its MassEffect in a fantasy setting and brings shame to the brand of BioWare Corp. - the studio that brought us Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights.
P.S.: I dont think Dragon Age is BioWare's largest franchise. Not by a long shot.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Irridium said:
God dammit EA. Not everything needs fucking multiplayer.

Skyirm proved you don't need multiplayer. At all. So stop putting it where it doesn't fucking belong just so you can put an online pass on the thing.

Assuming this is true, of course. I wouldn't be surprised if it is.
If it is true, I reckon its BioWare. They've gone off their nut recently and, to be honest, EA seem to know to leave their big developers alone for the most part. DICE seem to pretty much get their own way, for example.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Yep, because multiplayer is exactly what DA:2 was missing.

Bravo, sport!