Bastion Is About To Get Bigger

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Bastion Is About To Get Bigger

How did you like Bastion? How would you like even more Bastion, for very little money?

Though developer Supergiant Games always intended for its critically-beloved action-adventure Bastion to be a standalone game, the company recently decided that it wants to give something back to the fans that have made the game a smash hit. Thus, come December 14, Bastion will be receiving its first DLC pack.

Dubbed "Stranger's Dream," the DLC will be available free of charge to Steam users and will automatically be added to the new Google Chrome browser version of the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114638-Bastion-Now-Playable-In-Your-Browser]. According to Supergiant Games, Microsoft policy forbids them from offering the add-on totally gratis to Xbox Live gamers, so instead that version of the DLC will set you back $1.

So what are you getting for your single dollar? Supergiant explains:

The Stranger's Dream DLC includes:

The Stranger's Dream: a new fully narrated Who Knows Where sequence, bigger and more challenging than the others. You'll gain a bit more insight into Rucks' backstory as well as the history of Caelondia if you can survive this fight.

Score Attack Mode: a challenging new way to play through the story! You start at level one with all Spirits and Idols unlocked. Your combat performance is rated for efficiency, and all areas are repeatable.

No-Sweat Mode: for those who just want to experience the story of Bastion, this mode provides unlimited chances to carry on from where you left off if you're defeated in battle.

The Steam and XBLA versions of the game will also contain new Leaderboards for the Stranger's Dream and Score Attack Mode.

It should be noted that these extra modes can only be accessed once you've completed the game, so if you somehow found something more emotionally gripping to do over the past few months, you might want to hurry up and actually finish Bastion this weekend. It's totally worth the effort, if only so your friends will stop making fun of you behind your back.

"Did you hear about {your name here}?" your friends whisper conspiratorially while loitering in the nearest mall. "They never finished Bastion!"

"Hahahaha! What a loser!" comes the reply. "Also, they totally smell like butt!"

Like icy daggers of glee, their laughter echoes throughout the canyons and valleys of the local food court. If only you knew how they spoke of you, you'd be soured on the delicious taste of Orange Julius forever.

Source: Supergiant Games [http://supergiantgames.com/?p=1212]

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
So happy just bought it in the steam sale. Thank you Supergiant and valve.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
"Did you hear about {your name here}?" your friends whisper conspiratorially while loitering in the nearest mall. "They never finished Bastion!"

"Hahahaha! What a loser!" comes the reply. "Also, they totally smell like butt!"
Dam those guys, always pretending to be my friends!
Well I'll see how they like it!
And by 'it' I mean nail bombs! MWAHAHAHAHHA!

OT: I played the demo taday seemd good , unfortunatley it ran pretty badly on my pc

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Shut up and take my theoretical money!!

Bastion is a superb game, and even an extra challenge mode is well appreciated. Particularly if we get some more backstory about everyone's favourite smooth, yet grizzled, voiced narrator Ruck.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
More Bastion cannot be a bad thing. I'm going to enjoy this new Score Attack mode I believe, having all 10 idols active made the game incredibly challenging yet fun. Well at least until near the end of the game when you encountered those giant pod-thingsthat shot out stinkeyes. Those came straight out of my personal hell.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
This is the kind of DLC I can support. DLC as a "Thank You" is great, glad I bought Bastion even though I never finished it.

BTW, you know you've played too much Zelda when you hear Beedle saying Thank You everytime you think the words.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Don't get me wrong, this is awsome, but I can't help but find it kida wierd that you can't play the "Easy" mode without beating the game first. If you beat the game why would you need an even easier mode???

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
It's totally worth the effort, if only so your friends will stop making fun of you behind your back.

Like icy daggers of glee, their laughter echoes throughout the canyons and valleys of the local food court. If only you knew how they spoke of you, you'd be soured on the delicious taste of Orange Julius forever.
Well, Kid didn't much like the sound of that. He finished his delicious orange confection, and then went to the closest Arsenal to pick out the best weapon for teaching a lesson or two to his so-called "friends"...

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Bastion was by far one of the best games of the year, so it's great to see this get some DLC love.

No all we gotta hope for is that sequel... C'mon!

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Isn't that the same Xbox Live policy that makes TF2's console version suck? They still haven't amended that?

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
Jandau said:
Don't get me wrong, this is awsome, but I can't help but find it kida wierd that you can't play the "Easy" mode without beating the game first. If you beat the game why would you need an even easier mode???
Clicking through to the original announcement on supergiant.com, it seems that the easy mode is not an unlock. Should be available to everyone.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
And on a completely irrelevant side note:

"...Microsoft policy forbids them from offering the add-on totally gratis to Xbox Live gamers..."

"gratis"? I actually had to look it up in the ENGLISH dictionary. While I know its meaning as we Dutch people use it all the time. I am only familiar with the English term "free". I have never seen an English man 'say' "gratis". So, I looked it up. It's an English word, alright. Interesting, I have learned something new... Oh right, Bastion's getting a gratis DLC ;).

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
4RM3D said:
And on a completely irrelevant side note:

"...Microsoft policy forbids them from offering the add-on totally gratis to Xbox Live gamers..."

"gratis"? I actually had to look it up in the ENGLISH dictionary. While I know its meaning as we Dutch people use it all the time. I am only familiar with the English term "free". I have never seen an English man 'say' "gratis". So, I looked it up. It's an English word, alright. Interesting, I have learned something new... Oh right, Bastion's getting a gratis DLC ;).
English man? Pfft. I'm an American! *Nex pets a bald eagle and casually reloads his assault rifle* We don't take too kindly to them "English" folk 'round these parts.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Hold on a second - if Microsoft doesn't allow an add-on to be gratis, how did I download a character pack for Castle Crashers for free last week? It was the pink knight pack and it was most definitely free. Is there some kind of exception that would apply in that case which isn't obvious to me?

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
craddoke said:
Hold on a second - if Microsoft doesn't allow an add-on to be gratis, how did I download a character pack for Castle Crashers for free last week? It was the pink knight pack and it was most definitely free. Is there some kind of exception that would apply in that case which isn't obvious to me?
I think -- and don't quote me on this -- character skins and aesthetic changes like that are minor enough that Microsoft is cool with them being free. Stuff that adds actual new gameplay modes, like this Bastion DLC, breaks whatever arbitrary barrier Microsoft has set for "free DLC."

Tastum

Jun 1, 2011
LavaLampBamboo said:
No all we gotta hope for is that sequel... C'mon!
Honestly, I don't know. Bastion's story was brilliant but stands on its own. A prequel might be allright though - how about something about the Ura-Caelondian war?