Sony Doesn't Know Why Hulu Won't Work

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

PlayStation 3 [http://www.sony.com] browser, but that Sony will probably look into it someday if it has some free time.

It was reported in late June that PlayStation 3 owners PC World [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92738-Hulu-Snubs-the-PS3], Lempel, Sony's director of network operations, acknowledged the problem but didn't seem overly enthusiastic about actually pursuing it.

"We've tested it out here, and it does seem you can't access Hulu. You can access the site, but when you go to play a video, you get an error message," he said. "We're not quite sure why that is. If I speculate I might guess it's because they refined their list of supported browsers and we were a victim, or maybe they're intentionally blocking the PS3, but right now it doesn't work, and you'd really have to talk to Hulu about why that is."

"[The Hulu block] is something we'll probably look into, but at the same time, our browser's there to let our users do what they want and browse wherever they want, and we can't always chase down all these sites and say hey, how come it's not working today?" he continued. "The browser's built on unique code, so it's not like any of the other browsers out there, and there are some things that are just incompatible."

Which doesn't do much to explain why the service was working fine one day and became completely non-functional the next, but Lempel suggested users should focus on what does work rather than worrying about what doesn't. "We have an open browser, there's a ton of sites that do work, and it's compatible with other video streaming sites like YouTube [http://www.youtube.com] and music streaming sites," he said. "But it's true, Hulu's not working right now and I'm not really sure why."

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
As he implies, its not like the can do much since Hulu are blocking their browser so people should be whining at hulu to fix it. Besides, I somehow doubt they see getting Hulu working as high on their list of priorities

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
It's kind of shocking to me that he isn't really trying to kiss his customer's ass, and say "blah blah blah we're actively pursuing the problem" like other corporate executives. He's just like "Hey, I can't help it. Quit whining." You can at least kind of, almost appreciate that, right PS3 owners?

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Well they did pay alot of money for their console, but then this is just anohter example of console fail.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
kinda figured it was hulu doing it, it's not like they haven't done this before

i'm pretty sure it's cause the ps3 doesn't have a specific hulu client and that's what they want you to use

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
The Bandit said:
It's kind of shocking to me that he isn't really trying to kiss his customer's ass, and say "blah blah blah we're actively pursuing the problem" like other corporate executives. He's just like "Hey, I can't help it. Quit whining." You can at least kind of, almost appreciate that, right PS3 owners?
Is it bad that I actually respect him more for that? There's nothing they can do, and he isn't going to waste time telling people that they're going to do something they clearly aren't.

As for Hulu... Meh, not like I can get it anyway. I haven't tried the BBC iPlayer though. It'd be cool if that works so I can watch Psychoville and Krod Mandoon in bed :)

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
johnman said:
Well they did pay alot of money for their console, but then this is just anohter example of console fail.
How exactly is it console fail? I would say it's a problem on Hulus end. But then, I don't care as I can't use Hulu anyway.

Your post seems a bit inflammatory to be honest.

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
johnman said:
That's like buying a loaf of bread, discovering your cheese store no longer lets you put their cheese on that kind bread, and blaming the bread.
OK, that's not "exactly like", it's sort of broken, but I can't think of a better analogy right now. :p

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Malygris said:

Which doesn't do much to explain why the service was working fine one day and became completely non-functional

He already said above that it's probably because Hulu refined their list of compatible browers. I remember when Firefox 3 came out, I was getting all sorts of those errors, and this is just a Firefox upgrade.

Tehpwnsauce

Apr 30, 2009
Perhaps they should put more effort into making decent games instead of worrying about Hulu blocking them.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I like how his response is "Hey, don't worry about Hulu. We've got YouTube!" Like those two compete on any real level.

Ka_huna

Jun 23, 2009
Chipperz said:
The Bandit said:
Is it bad that I actually respect him more for that? There's nothing they can do, and he isn't going to waste time telling people that they're going to do something they clearly aren't./quote]

I've got more respect for him too. No corporate BS. At least their being honest, which is all you can ask for in some cases.

Irishhoodlum

Jun 21, 2009
Eh, as a PS3 owner I'd rather Sony spent their time working with games for it as opposed to wasting time talking to Hulu about if or if not they're in bed w/ Microsoft.

Takes about 30 seconds to walk to a computer and get Hulu loaded anyways.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I'm tempted to shout 'Microsoft Conspiracy' for giggles.

But then again, I don't use Hulu and could care less. Don't much care for the PS3 internet browser either.

Nov 5, 2007
As a Canadian, I don't care.
But it's funny to see fanboys screaming "PS3 is fail" because hulu isn't working right now. Who the hell buys a PS3 to watch videos on hulu.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
teh_gunslinger said:
johnman said:
How exactly is it console fail? I would say it's a problem on Hulus end. But then, I don't care as I can't use Hulu anyway.

Your post seems a bit inflammatory to be honest.
Yes sorry out that, as soon as i posted it i thought, "that was a bit retarded of me" but i was very tired and went to bed instead of editing it.
Retodon8 said:
johnman said:
That's like buying a loaf of bread, discovering your cheese store no longer lets you put their cheese on that kind bread, and blaming the bread.
OK, that's not "exactly like", it's sort of broken, but I can't think of a better analogy right now. :p
Excellent analogy!