241: Griefing in Black and White

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Reminds me of the near fist fights we had over GoldenEye whenever the Golden Gun was brought into play.

Tommy_Dizzle

Apr 7, 2008
"let your opponent do all the hard work"
My bro's strategy when playing on the SEGA Master System
Awesome article based on an awesome series / game.

Tel_Windzan

Dec 18, 2008
I think a lot of what was said in this article can be applied to other competitive player verse player games. There was a time where I had gotten Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past for the GBA, mostly because I just wanted to play Link to the Past again. It being the GBA version, it came with the Four Swords Adventure game, which you could play with up to four different people. My brother and I had decided to give this game a try and it was kind of interesting, up until he pick up my character and started to take most of the treasures for himself. The game stopped being fun to either of us because it turn into a competition where we were in the game to win for ourselves, with my brother being the main winner because he was more used to performing tricks that would undermine my progress. So ever sense, I never really cared so much for games with competitive features in them, as I would like to play a game for fun and not to prove myself better than someone else. I'll be able to do that once I find out what my talent is...

Off topic, I wonder if it is just a coincidence that I got the Spy vs Spy: The Complete Casebook not too long ago.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I remember playing this on the old '64. I don't remember if I liked it or not, but now I feel compelled to hunt it down for my emulator.

*** a few minutes later ***

WinVICE emulator [http://www.viceteam.org/]

Direct game download link [http://www.c64.com/games/download.php?id=290] (unfortunately the friggin' site is frame-based so I can't direct link to their entry for the game)

PixelPusher

Jan 20, 2010
Bringing back painful C64 memorys, mostly for my Tac2 joysticks. Great game though.

.. turbo 64 loaded, press play on tape ..

thetragicclown

May 29, 2008
Ahh, Spectrum memories. I used to wire the exit room with traps on every door while my opponent did all the hard work. They'd HAVE to trigger one of them to reach the exit, leading to their demise, an easily-pilfered case sitting on the floor and sweet, sweet victory. Except when you forgot you'd booby-trapped the exit door too. :(

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I owned this on my Amstrad. It caused many a fight between me and my brother. To beat the other guy to death with a stick, take the items he'd so busily collected then escape was magic. I don't know what it is about old school games that could inspire such rage.

Gauntlet was as bad. When that Gauntlet selfishness kicked in and you'd eat the food you didn't really need when the elf was dying or block the escape and watch player 2 collecting ghosts. Bomberman was later but could cause an argument or two. Don't even mention 4 player micro machines... Im sure there were fatalities related to that. The J-cart changed multiplayer forever.

Nyaoku

Jan 7, 2012
bjj hero said:
I owned this on my Amstrad. It caused many a fight between me and my brother. To beat the other guy to death with a stick, take the items he'd so busily collected then escape was magic. I don't know what it is about old school games that could inspire such rage.

Gauntlet was as bad. When that Gauntlet selfishness kicked in and you'd eat the food you didn't really need when the elf was dying or block the escape and watch player 2 collecting ghosts. Bomberman was later but could cause an argument or two. Don't even mention 4 player micro machines... Im sure there were fatalities related to that. The J-cart changed multiplayer forever.
I remember micro machines. >< The levels were awesome but trying to cramp everyone into a single screen while driving literally down a pool cue to get rammed off the side of the table to your death ... rage. Multilap races didn't help either.