Robama Wants You to Buy American

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Robama Wants You to Buy American

This DC-sponsored ad encourages you to stop spending your hard-earned cash on foreign comics.

According to Bleeding Cool, the flier you see below is part of a DC-aproved-and-funded promotion run by A Comic Shop. [http://www.acomicshop.com/] The ad features Cyborg, hastily rebranded as "Robama," and other members of the Justice League encouraging potential customers to "Buy American," and informs them that they can trade in ANY first volume of manga for ANY DC New 52 issue #1. A Comic Shop intends to distribute the flier at MegaCon [http://www.megaconvention.com/], which will be brimming with anime and manga fans.

Now ignoring the fact that concepts like "buy American" are terribly culturally limiting when it comes to art, that's just a bad deal. A volume of manga generally clocks in at around a hundred densely packed pages, while your standard comic book has around 30 pages, more than a few of which are ads. On the bright side, the ad does specify you can trade in ANY -note the capitals- manga, so if you've got any utterly appalling, tentacle-filled, loli manga to offload, now's your chance.

Naturally the ad has got anime and manga fans up in arms, with many accusing A Comic Shop of resorting to what is essentially nationalist propaganda. However, according to Kent Ward [http://www.kentward.com/2012/01/the-saga-of-robama-and-correcting-mr-surat-etc/], whose anime club frequently meets at A Comic Shop, people are taking the ad a bit too seriously.

"For whatever reason, they feel like the ad above in question that will be used for part of a flyer is insulting to both manga and fans of manga," he wrote on his blog, shortly before expressing his desire to punch Otaku USA writer Daryl Surat [https://twitter.com/#!/darylsurat] in the throat. "And some have even called it nationalist propaganda!"

"I don't know where the hell it says any of that and anyone who is local to the Orlando area knows that any form of advertising from A Comic Shop is intentionally silly."

What do you think, readers? Is this jingoism in the service of capitalism, or a joke taken out of context? More importantly; what does that giant red button on Robama's crotch do?

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/17/robama-against-manga-dc-comics-funded-ad/]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
This is funny..since Ive just osrt of gotten into comics

hmmmm....yeah this add just doesnt sit well with me..Im not American though, and arnt american comics and manga really different anyway?

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
OOOOOO I know about glowing red spots on things! Thats the week spot! You know the flashing point on the enemy you have to hit them in when they are open to deal them damage!

Earaldor Xerron

Jan 7, 2011
I don't collect manga or comics, nor do I live in the US, but this is a bit...too serious to be ironical or parodistic or anything the sort. I don't like it.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
Yes, don't buy the crass humor comics of the UK or the stylistic European graphic novels or surreal Russian books or even good old cheesy Japanese pulp fiction. No, stick with the same old super hero shit you've always bought, because trying something new is just too scary.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Kinda Ironic coming from a company who's flagship character isn't even from this planet
But he fights for the American Way! We're okay with foreigners if they proudly fellate the flag!

And now, I have to post this:

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008

"Robama? Really?"

I don't think American comic book writers and artists need to worry about Japanese manga. Both mediums have their own distinct fan bases. Besides, I'd rather see people get upset about western businesses outsourcing manufacturing jobs to China (a country responsible for multiple violations of basic human rights).

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
cursedseishi said:
a reboot that isn't exactly well-received
Actually, the reboot has actually been doing pretty good sales-wise, critically, at least a third of the comics are supposedly pretty good (I've only read two so far and think that they're really good). This ad wasn't made by DC, but a local shop. They did get financing from DC from a special program where DC will pay for 75% of an add for your shop if you only feature DC characters.

Anyway, I think it comes off as slightly xenophobic, but it's just a really stupid joke and a crappy deal.

Moses Wolfenstein

Dec 6, 2010
The craziest part is that they seem to have ripped off Robama from Steampunk Palin. I'm not linking it, you'll just have to go track it down.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
cursedseishi said:
And honestly, only one or two of them are even worth getting from what I've heard, because a lot of fan-favorites got butchered to hell and back (Starfire and Harleyquinn off the top of my head).
And Voodoo, and Catwoman. Making oracle back into Batgirl helped neither Batgirl nor Birds of Prey, etc

Also, Robama might be copyrighted by that steampunk Sarah Palin comic where they fight Al Gore.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
This makes me want to go out and buy a volume of manga just so that I can refuse their offer to trade it in for their shitty new comic book.