Notch: Mojang No Longer "Indie"

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Notch: Mojang No Longer "Indie"

With 20 million registrations and a paying player base quickly approaching 5 million, it would be a stretch to consider Minecraft the underground indie sensation it once was ... and Notch agrees.

Marcus "Notch" Perrson may have gotten his start as a no-budget programmer, but as Mojang has become more successful, the now famous developer has had to shift priorities, losing the ability to call his company "indie" in the process.

"I don't think [Mojang is] indie in the sense of how I used to work any more," Perrson said during an interview with PC Gamer, "because we have a payroll to worry about and we need to do stuff to ensure the company lasts."

"We have other stuff which influences what we do other than trying to focus on the games. We make sure me and Jakob [Porser] are only focusing on game development, so the founders are still developing. But as a company, I don't think we are indie in the sense that I used to mean it. But in the other sense of indie - as in we make games we want to play without having any external dependencies - then yeah, we're indie."

It may sound as if Notch is simply discussing the semantics of an admittedly loose definition, but he's using the distinction to describe the way an indie developer operates after finding success. Even so, Notch doesn't think the word "indie" still means what it used to, commenting that back in the days of the "garage programmer," indie developers didn't even charge for their creations.

"These days it's become hip to pay for indie games," he said. "That's partly down to people charging for it, like with the Humble Indie Bundle, and partly because of Steam doing awesome stuff.

"[Being indie is] much easier these days, but there's still no guarantee you'll make a profit. If you're doing it out of passion and just want to get some money back, it's definitely doable."

While I doubt that it would be easy for any programmer, regardless of his or her skill, to duplicate the success of Minecraft on a whim, Notch has proven (or at the very least, helped to prove) a model in which a passionate creative with a good idea can actually succeed in a market flooded with multi-million dollar development and marketing budgets. Times may have changed, but independent developers actually getting paid for their work when their work is worthwhile seems a step in the right direction.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/23/notch-its-become-hip-to-pay-for-indie-games/]

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I've always wondered what most people considered 'indie.' Is it mainly working without some financial backing, without a publisher, or is it just being 'a small group working on something.'

Either way, I suppose it doesn't matter in the end. The way Notch seems to define means that he isn't indie anymore, which... oh well. Being 'indie' does make a difference as long as the game is good.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Indie = Independent I thought it meant independent on a publisher.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Notch is just saying he isn't indie anymore so nobody whines when he charges for DLC, he's just one of the boys now. Deal with it.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I associate the term indie with a developer that has no publisher or shareholders to answer to, thus allowing them the freedom to make what they want how they want(within their own means). If Mojang ever wants to make a game but doesn't because it's too much of a financial risk, then they will not really be indie any more IMO.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Indie = Independent I thought it meant independent on a publisher.
That's the actual definition, yes. But what Notch is talking about here is that people tend to associate "indie" with certain things, and he no longer fits the standard image of an indie dev. Valve, for instance, is rarely described as indie despite the fact that all their games are self-published.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Of all the things I hate, the concept of "indie" is one of them. It's suppose to mean an independent or someone without a publisher. It has been encode with the new meaning by hipsters and snobs. I am going to ignore this nebulous and questionable definition because like many terms defined by popular culture it has no true definition and it's lack of precision makes it pointless. The company is still indie until they get a publisher, which probably won't be any time soon because they should still be rolling in dough.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
I'm slightly confused by this. Methought that Minecraft was an indie game. Could someone please explain the subtlety that I'm apparently missing?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zen Toombs said:
I'm slightly confused by this. Methought that Minecraft was an indie game. Could someone please explain the subtlety that I'm apparently missing?
They've grown to the point that they're actively spending money to keep the company glued together, so Notch says that they've crossed the line from "indie developers" to "corporation". It's not necessarily a bad thing, as they're still "indie" in that they don't have external influences telling them what to do.

OT: I'm glad to see they've officially "made it". Next up to the plate: I predict Sauropod Studios.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
aPod said:
Notch is just saying he isn't indie anymore so nobody whines when he charges for DLC, he's just one of the boys now. Deal with it.
Actually, he said he would charge for DLC from near the beginning, so you're just being cynical for the sake of being cynical.

Mrmac23

Aug 12, 2011
Zen Toombs said:
When Minecraft was brought into existence when it was simply "cave game", it was little more than a tiny project by a single man that had about as many people aware of it as had watched the youtube video on Notch's account. That's indie.

Now, Minecraft is an extremely popular game making millions of pounds worth of profit, with millions of players, and that single man now has an entire company that is working on several more games as we speak (well, type.) That isn't indie.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
lacktheknack said:
aPod said:
Actually, he said he would charge for DLC from near the beginning, so you're just being cynical for the sake of being cynical.
Not really, it was a joke. I don't play minecraft so I don't actually follow what Notch has said in regards to it.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Mrmac23 said:
Zen Toombs said:
When Minecraft was brought into existence when it was simply "cave game", it was little more than a tiny project by a single man that had about as many people aware of it as had watched the youtube video on Notch's account. That's indie.

Now, Minecraft is an extremely popular game making millions of pounds worth of profit, with millions of players, and that single man now has an entire company that is working on several more games as we speak (well, type.) That isn't indie.
So being successful makes a game not indie? That seems odd to me.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
Zen Toombs said:
So being successful makes a game not indie? That seems odd to me.
I agree, I don't think "indie" as it applies to music applies to games.

I would define an "indie" game as a game that fulfills two criteria:

1) A game independently produced without a publisher (as many people have noted) and a AAA budget

2) A game which tries to break conventions and/or push boundaries.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
they may not be indie as its usually thought of but they are not beholden to one of the publishers either and as such i propose we refer to them as a "independent developer" kinda emphasizing the fact that they are a grown up company

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Well, I would still prefer independent developers, regardless of their size. Without the pressure of shareholders or publishers, they have the creative freedom to make games that are simply enjoyable.
They might lack the assetts to produce blockbuster titles like Deus Ex or Battlefield, but I find myself to enjoy minecraft or Terraria for way longer then , say Spacemarine or even Civilisation V.

I hope Mojangs example will be copied over time to put pressure on companies like Vivendi or Activision. As of right now, the market is way too cozy for the giants, so they get away with mindless sequels and cookie cutter shovelware.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
I think he may be making this announcement more for other indie devs, than for his fans. A lot of indie devs tend to get quite passionate about what constitutes "indie" and he would probably gain a lot of resentment if he continued to label himself as "indie".