Mass Effect 3 Goes Mobile

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Mass Effect 3 Goes Mobile

A handheld tie-in for BioWare's upcoming sci-fi RPG will help players prepare for the Reaper invasion.

Folks, if you were angry about Mass Effect 3 having multiplayer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113587-BioWare-Finally-Confirms-and-Details-Mass-Effect-3-Multiplayer], you may want to sit down; this next bit of news might break your heart. BioWare has previously hinted at a handheld component for the final installment in its space opera RPG trilogy, but other information has been sparse. Now, a few new details have revealed a few choice bits about the mobile Mass Effect 3. The game appears to be aimed at smartphones rather than traditional handheld gaming systems, and will tie into Galaxy at War, the cooperative mode in which players will team up to protect the far reaches of the galaxy from the invading Reapers.

Given that Mass Effect 3 is only five weeks away, BioWare's comments on the matter seem unusually vague. "There will be "handheld/mobile" products tied to Mass Effect 3," states an EA representative. "They are part of the Galaxy at War system. We will have more details to share soon." This isn't much information to go on, although it is the first time the company has confirmed that the mobile game and will focus on Galaxy at War as opposed to any of the other myriad stories in the Mass Effect universe.

Dedicated fans may remember that this is not Mass Effect's first venture into handheld territory. Prior to the release of Mass Effect 2, iOS users got a sneak peek at party members Jacob and Miranda in the thoroughly forgettable Mass Effect: Galaxy [http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mass-effect-galaxy/id320095701?mt=8]. While it wasn't anything special, it did have nice artwork and changed a tiny bit of dialogue Mass Effect 2 for players with linked accounts. It's not unreasonable to think that Mass Effect 3's tie-in may be a little more ambitious and hold greater rewards.

Now that a few years have gone by and the handheld market has opened up considerably, BioWare has a second chance to show players that Mass Effect doesn't need a powerful platform to deliver an engaging experience. If nothing else, the upcoming app shows that BioWare is serious about promoting Mass Effect 3's multiplayer capabilities. The only question is, will saving the galaxy be as much fun if Commander Shepard doesn't have to do it alone?

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5881460/whats-mass-effect-3-mobile]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
My thread sense is tingling!

"Ruined forever" in 3... 2...

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Zhukov said:
My thread sense is tingling!

"Ruined forever" in 3... 2...
Blarg, it's ruined FOREVER!

Seriously though, the potential mobile element affects the co-op/multiplayer? What do I care? It's not like I'm going to be playing those modes anyway...

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Meh, I was more upset about it having multiplayer then this. This doesn't really bother me as long as it's released on android and iOS rather then just the latter. It just annoys me when a game is only available on iOS.

Though what is beginning to make me more and more nervous about the game is just how much it's being thrown everyone. Want DLC? Buy figures! Want DLC? Play the demo to this unrelated game! Want DLC? Buy everything we tell you to! Frankly, that's what's making me more and more worried that the game is going to be a disappointment. I think it will be good, just not the great conclusion the series deserves.

Iszfury

Oct 25, 2011
RUINED FOREVER T_T!!!!!!
WHY DO YOU TEMPT ME SO
I'm sorry, this kind of behavior from Bioware was excusable at first, but now it just feels like they're DIRECTLY working to perturb longtime players. To the extent where it's almost trollish. The Escapist has been releasing its obligatory ME3 let-downs for what, 3 months now...?
This is actually mildly amusing.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Cool, I guess. I downgraded my phone recently to a dumb fone. May have to get a smart phone again if this turns into something decent.

I like these tie-ins. Helps the whole feeling of a galactic war. I really like the direction this series is going in.

Though I am definitely in the minority around this site...

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
Not really a rage type thing. Maybe its like a tie-in game which shows battles on other fronts against the reapers. As long as they don't ruin the single player experience, its all good.

Captcha: gitirr moist (moist guitar?)

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
You know this game? Yeah, it is ruined forever. If I didn't know better when they announced that it was not going to be an exact copy of the first, I do now. Stupid appealing to the casuals. Casuals are ruining everything. This entire generation has been ruined by an invasion of the casuals. Bioware is a shadow of their former selves, and will never again be ever close to what they once were, now that they are courting "the mainstream". They make only crap for people who can't understand a real game. Ugh.
Sarcasm!

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Next they will have a weekly show to watch for codes you can use to unlock DLC!
And then a clothing brand you can use to spiff up your characters in game!
Then maybe a restaurant that serves authentic food you can find on the Normandy!
/facepalm

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
You know this game? Yeah, it is ruined forever. If I didn't know better when they announced that it was not going to be an exact copy of the first, I do now. Stupid appealing to the casuals. Casuals are ruining everything. This entire generation has been ruined by an invasion of the casuals. Bioware is a shadow of their former selves, and will never again be ever close to what they once were, now that they are courting "the mainstream". They make only crap for people who can't understand a real game. Ugh.
Sarcasm!
You know this fandom? Yeah, it's ruined forever. If I didn't know better when people started complaining that ME2 was worse then the first one I do now. Good thing they're not only going after the entitled, old guard fans who can't accept change. Overly-nostalgic, 'things were better in my day' fans are ruining everything. This entire generation of quality Bioware work has been glossed over by the invasion of people too stuck in the 'glory days' to understand that things have evolved. Bioware is a different company then they used to be, and won't ever be close to content with simply farming out sequels and successors to all their old stuff over and over again, now that they are done listening to the people progress has left behind. They only make cool stuff for people who understand that there is no definition of a 'real game'.

Hmm... I can't tell if this is trolling or just pretentious. I'm gonna guess trolling, since I'm being extraordinarily pretentious with this comment so I should probably have enough experience to recognize it in someone else.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Hey have you guys heard about the Mass Effect Facebook game that unlocks the ability to play as Cerberus soldiers for the multiplayer in DLC for ME3?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Mike Richards said:
BreakfastMan said:
Sarcasm!
You know this fandom? Yeah, it's ruined forever. If I didn't know better when people started complaining that ME2 was worse then the first one I do now. Good thing they're not only going after the entitled, old guard fans who can't accept change. Overly-nostalgic, 'things were better in my day' fans are ruining everything. This entire generation of quality Bioware work has been glossed over by the invasion of people too stuck in the 'glory days' to understand that things have evolved. Bioware is a different company then they used to be, and won't ever be close to content with simply farming out sequels and successors to all their old stuff over and over again, now that they are done listening to the people progress has left behind. They only make cool stuff for people who understand that there is no definition of a 'real game'.

Hmm... I can't tell if this is trolling or just pretentious. I'm gonna guess trolling, since I'm being extraordinarily pretentious with this comment so I should probably have enough experience to recognize it in someone else.
Hey mate, here's a neat trick.

Highlight that last comment you quoted.

Burrito With Legs

Jan 27, 2012
Irridium said:
$5 says this unlocks DLC for use in the full game.
Dude, 5$ says it costs 5$+. It's going to be some little mini-game that takes a couple minutes to finish that has no replay value that unlocks a pumpkin hat.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
DaxStrife said:
Nifty. Now how about a tie-in that puts ME3 on Steam? :p
I would buy that tie-in if it existed, even though all the news of ME3 at best has been "meh" and at worst reeks of "They just didn't care." (You know what I'm talking about.)

w@rew0lf

Banned User
Jan 11, 2009
Well that's interesting? I guess? Not much more to say about this since I find it completely outside the realm of things I care about bro.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Quiet Stranger said:
Does it come with free DLC?

Why are they doing this? They never did this kind of stuff to 1 or 2
Yeah, they did. Mass Effect Galaxy came out shortly before Mass Effect 2. I never played it and never heard anyone say much about it, but Mass Effect 2 was certainly still incredible.