Details Emerge From Canceled Call of Duty

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011

The developers of an ill-fated Call of Duty spinoff reveal a third-person action/adventure title full of squad-based combat and exploration.

Starting a flame war on the Internet is only slightly more difficult than tying a shoelace, but if you're starved for ideas, try this: Go to your favorite gaming site and start a thread asking people if they like Call of Duty. You're almost guaranteed to get a fight before the end of the first page. However, much of the vitriol directed at the series came after the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, the 2007 entry that took the series out of World War II and into the modern day. That very same year, however, the series nearly branched off in a very different direction: a squad-based, third-person shooter with adventure elements, based on the true story of an American-Canadian unit in WWII Italy. While the game quietly went MIA in 2008, the former development team has brought some details to light about the spinoff that almost was.

Jason VandenBerghe, a former EA man, led a small team of accomplished developers under the Activision banner to develop Call of Duty: Devil's Brigade. Activision had previously expressed interest in expanding the iconic military shooter into action/adventure territory, and saw VandenBerghe's team of veteran artists and designers as a logical fit for the project. "I don't know that I've been with a group of people that I felt more comfortable with than I was with that group," VandenBerghe recalls. "We had an enormous amount of trust and experience." The team aimed to keep the World War II setting and squad-based combat of Call of Duty, but leave behind the first-person viewpoint and extravagant action cues. "I don't think we had any over the top sequences a la the current Modern Warfare where you're blowing up entire submarine vessels," says VandenBerghe. Other departures from series norms included the ability to issue squad commands, a variety of acrobatic moves (appropriate for Special Forces operatives), and stealth sections for destroying bridges or offing enemies.

The inspiration for the game's story (and title) came from the real-life Devil's Brigade [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Brigade], a joint group of American and Canadian soldiers who fought in Italy towards the end of WWII. VandenBerghe's team took creative liberties, but still tried to stay close to the source material. ""[The Devil's Brigade's] first action [in the game] was to scale a 1,500 foot cliff at night in the rain, and flank the Germans from behind in their mountain retreat," VandenBerghe describes. "You're up on ropes. And there's lightning. You look down, and the entire brigade - a thousand men, they pulled a thousand men up that cliff." The true story is not too far off.

Devil's Brigade ended up as one of the casualties of Activision's merger with Vivendi/Blizzard, but VandenBerghe does not appear to harbor much ill will. "It was no one entity or one person's fault. There was no drama." Still, Call of Duty fans and detractors and alike can only wonder what might have happened to the series if Devil's Brigade had been as tenacious as the squad for which it was named.

Source: Vox Games [http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/2/21/2806837/call-of-duty-devils-brigade-unreleased]

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
As much as i dislike COD this.....well this actually sounds pretty intresting. Activision please explore this route again, it would be nice to change things up once in a while

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
But... It wouldn't be CoD in any way, shape or form? It's like saying it's CoD because it includes guns. That's the only thing that sounds like CoD according to that description.

Also, no multiplayer would be death for a game marketed as CoD.

I really do wish some devs would explore a similar concept, though, it certainly sounds interesting.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I see why people are saying "that doesn't sound like CoD", but just bear this in mind;

That may not sound like CoD now, but back then the title was in the process of evolving.

This game was being developed at about the time the first Modern Warfare was released, which was receiving similar "that's not CoD" comments concerning its setting. CoD4 was already a case of throwing the bath water out and doing something different with the license. At this time Activision had quite the potential the expand the brand beyond its identi-kit FPS model. The possibilities of having CoD games beyond the Infinity Ward/Treyarch cut-n-paste set-up does sound pretty good.

And yes, there's no mention of multiplayer here, but that doesn't mean that there wouldn't have been multiplayer in the final product.

Activision, take note; people are interested.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
So instead of something even to a minimal amount diffirent than that annoying rut we are in in the game industry, we're just going to get another copy pasted COD?

THIS TIME I'M KEEPING MY MONEY... FOR REAL.
Seriously, they killed all of the characters I liked-Killed the franchise.

Dec 14, 2009
I believe this is a fine example of the type of attitude some publishers have.

CoD game that isn't like the last CoD game = instantly killed because it's not a sure thing.

TheDharmaFox

Oct 1, 2011
That was certainly one thing I've been really wanting out of the CoD franchise, a Canadian protagonist.
Orange12345 said:
I would have bought this game just because there would have been Canadians in it
Damn straight, wanna clean up the series? Put some Canadians in the fray. :D

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Wouldn't this have just been Call of Brothers: Duties in Arms?

Also despite their claims about not having been over the top with the action I am still skeptical: "I don't think we had any over the top sequences a la the current Modern Warfare where you're blowing up entire submarine vessels, just climbing up cliff faces.....and blowing up entire U-Boats......and bridges......and winning the war by yourself."

Make a WW2 COD from the Axis point of view damnit!

Sep 14, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Marshall Honorof said:

The developers of an ill-fated Call of Duty spinoff reveal a third-person action/adventure title full of squad-based combat and exploration.
Well there you go: no mention of the Multi-player.
ELCTea said:
As much as i dislike COD this.....
...Isn't COD. This is SOCOM 4 (the REAL one).
heh was just thinking the same thing. i wouldve paid upfront with double the cash for the REAL socom 4.

bleh..wasted potential.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
It sounds more like Hidden and Dangerous. Man, I loved those games when I was younger, even if I sucked at them.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
That sounds pretty awesome, if only that had come out as well as modern warfare.
Too bad it got cancelled, on the bright side at least I have another option for the next time a "Awesome games that were cancelled" thread pops up.