Day-One DLC Files Appear on Mass Effect 3 Discs

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Day-One DLC Files Appear on Mass Effect 3 Discs

Ferreting around in Mass Effect 3's disc files yields information about DLC which runs counter to statements released by the game's producers.

When an Xbox Live leak [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115967-Mass-Effect-3-DLC-Appears-on-Xbox-Live] made it apparent last month that the additional character promised for players who bought the Collector's Edition version of Mass Effect 3 would be made available to everyone in the form of day-one DLC, there ensued something of a brouhaha among certain groups of gamers. The nature of the character, whose species makes him an interesting part of the game's lore, added a new dimension or five to the apparent discontent.

To try and clarify the situation, a few of the game's producers took to Twitter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115997-BioWare-Defends-Mass-Effect-3-Launch-Day-DLC] to say, "It takes about 3 months from "content complete" to bug-fix, certify, manufacture, and ship game discs. In that time we work on DLC."

However, it has now come to light that some of the files from this particular DLC (listed as From Ashes) can be found within the data on the main game's disc. As an avid file-investigator over at Crystal Palace Zone [http://crystalprisonzone.blogspot.com/2012/03/bioware-day-one-dlc-developed.html?m=1] points out, "the build which leaked in November, the official demo, and now the standard retail release of Mass Effect 3 all contain voice files for the [From Ashes] squad member. There's also a full set of model and animation files for the [character], but file encryption makes it impossible to open these for further inspection."

He continues, "These files are just as big as they are for other, non-DLC characters, suggesting that the art, animation, and voice assets for the DLC character were developed at the same time, not after the completion of the project. If these assets were developed after end of development, they would have to be downloaded - not unlocked directly from the disc."

So, things aren't looking brilliant from BioWare's side so far. However, as Jim Sterling points out over at Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/did-bioware-lie-about-mass-effect-3-s-day-one-dlc--223448.phtml/], BioWare didn't actually say that work on From Ashes started after the game was "content complete." Rather, the statements describe a development process which was only completed after the main game was finished, which could explain how bits and pieces of an as-yet unfinished DLC wound up on Mass Effect 3's main disc.

Given that spoilers about the existence of the From Ashes squadmate surfaced almost a year ago, it could be argued that the DLC pack was something that BioWare laid the groundwork for during planning and then properly developed after the full game had been completed. However, we won't know exactly what the flow was - or how DLC files wound up on the main game's disc - until the developers clarify their position. Whether or not you think this is a fair thing for them to have done (if you're irritated by it, you're unlikely to be alone) everything between here and a statement of clarification from BioWare will remain based in conjecture.

Source: Destructoid [http://crystalprisonzone.blogspot.com/2012/03/bioware-day-one-dlc-developed.html?m=1]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I knew it, it's the same thing that happened with Shale. Except here, the Prothean would be in the game regardless, and the DLC would just allow you to access his mission and party member status.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Electronic Arts has destroyed and perverted another company. Dark days ...

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
A company lied to people. This is not news and nobody should be surprised. That's not even EA/Bioware specific, that's just how stuff works.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Well he doesn't appear anywhere in the game (seeing as I ave beaten it) so I will stand firm and continue to boycott this DLC as I had considered buying it if he played an important role in the game short of being a squadmate. This news just strengthens my resolve. If only people knew how to vote with their wallets :(

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
There seems to be a lot of hating going on with ME3. I haven't played it and probably never will, since my PC can't run it and apparently it's bad on PS3, but not a single one of my online friends purchased this game legally, and we're talking about people who have paid 100$+ for collectors editions of games many times without second thought. I'm guessing shit like this is why.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
anthony87 said:
Oh Christ....Zeel is gonna have a field day if/when he returns.
It's funny, I heard this loud, blood-curdlingesque scream a few minutes ago. It sounded very far away, but also very close. As if it had traveled many miles borne upon the wind. And the timestamp on this post checks out to when I heard the scream...

It must have been Zeel!

I hope he doesn't have an Atlas in his garage, or this is what his neighborhood will look like tonight:

DAY ONE! ON DISC! RARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I KNEW IT!

I plan on buying the game once the price drops by the cost of the From Ashes DLC which i guess will be in a month or two.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
MrBrightside919 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Bioware made Baldur's Gate 2...

Nuff said...
And that has nothing to do with anything at all being discussed here.
I gave my opinion...
That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the From Ashes DLC was already on the disk. And even if you're just trying to say that you trust Bioware implicitly based off of their back library of games, it still would have no bearing on this news.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
On disc DLC files in Mass Effect 3?

And its only going to get worse when Zeel comes back.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Fappy said:
Well he doesn't appear anywhere in the game (seeing as I ave beaten it) so I will stand firm and continue to boycott this DLC as I had considered buying it if he played an important role in the game short of being a squadmate. This news just strengthens my resolve. If only people knew how to vote with their wallets :(
I just want to say that Javik isn't important to the plot at all. This is basically all that happens:

Shepard: So you know how to work the Prothean weapon, right?

Javik: No. I am a Soldier, not a Scientist.

That's it. That is like...all he says that's relevant to anything. You do get his gun though. Which is pretty badass until Banshees show up. It doesn't do that well against Banshees...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Kopikatsu said:
Fappy said:
I just want to say that Javik isn't important to the plot at all. This is basically all that happens:

That's it. That is like...all he says that's relevant to anything. You do get his gun though. Which is pretty badass until Banshees show up. It doesn't do that well against Banshees...
That's exactly my issue though. The last living Prothean SHOULD be important. The fact that it is not just cheapens the whole idea to begin with. But then again, considering how they ended the game it seems they just had a "who can come up with the worst ideas" party.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Fappy said:

Pretty much this. He is much like Zaeed. He doesn't have any interesting dialogue other then when you first bring him back to the ship, unlike any of the other squadmates. Overall, I'm not impressed with him. People are not missing out on anything.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
While I do not agree in the least with what I see as an exploitative use of the DLC concept and addicted customers, nor the flexible language that is frequently used, I have no difficulties seeing both technical and story development reasons for this.

People may remember how the preceeding game in the series had tons of hooks and placeholders for content, which was to be inserted as various pieces of DLC months later, when done and portioned out.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Bioware made Baldur's Gate 2...

Nuff said...
And that has nothing to do with anything at all being discussed here.
I gave my opinion...
That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the From Ashes DLC was already on the disk. And even if you're just trying to say that you trust Bioware implicitly based off of their back library of games, it still would have no bearing on this news.
Why are you making such a big deal of my comment? If it makes you happy, I could care less about the DLC already being on the disk. It's not like this is the first time EA has done something like this (Need for Speed, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, etc). It doesn't surprise me in the least that this would happen on a BIG release from EA considering that they've done it many times before...and will probably keep doing it to cut corners for DLC they know people will buy anyways...

...and still, if you don't like that they did that, don't buy the DLC and don't give them your money...it's a simple as that