244: Stumbling Through Mirror's Edge

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Park Life!

Sorry but why has no-body said that yet?

Also good article.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Absolutely adored the full Mirror's Edge experience despite the guns and clearly intentional slowdowns in the game. When you look at ME you have to understand that the size and scope of the levels you are playing whiz by at a pace unheard of by any FPS games. There is such a depth of design that other development companies just never have to deal with while DICE themselves have been pushing the boundaries of for years (full 360 degrees of map). They had to find a way to slow the player down and keep them from speeding through each level in minutes.

I think what needs to be done in a Mirror's sequel is essentially find more creative, in engine ways to pace players through the game and enhance the story or gameplay at the same time. My first suggestion there is to make a few more boss set pieces like what occurred on the rooftop with Ropeburn. Throw in some scripted moments that require a some specific maneuvers to break up the free run and advance the story and you could have a really strong series. Guns need to be disarm and drop all the time.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Mirror's Edge is a platformer arcade game.

Taking it as anything other than that is a sign of insanity.

Howlingwolf214

Dec 28, 2008
Mirrors Edge is one of a rare group of games. Games that have you fail over and over and yet, at some point, everything goes perfect and fluently. Then BAM, you overstep, fall off a building and the cycle begins again.

The time trials got more annoying every time for me until I put on my music while playing. It became ten times more enjoyable.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
I personally enjoyed Mirror's Edge a lot, yes it was flawed but at least it was trying something new.

Also, parklife reference ^_^

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
"A risky, innovative platformer-cum-shooter. . ."
Y'know, I've never heard of a game that is both a platformer and a cum-shooter.

Salviar

Dec 5, 2009
I do agree with some of the things said in this article and I noticed some new things about it that I didn't know before, but overall I found the game to be one of the most enjoyable I've ever played!
I mean, although I wasn't a big fan of the whole 'jump right, shoot right or die fast' thing, I still think that the game wouldn't have worked without them. If the game was merely a running, parkour game then it would get boring almost immediately because of the lack of surprise. Instead of wondering what was about to happen, it would always be 'Oh. Running again. Yeah, I know."
Haha but that's just my opinion. I loved the game but I really liked the points made in this article too!

playinthedark

Feb 15, 2010
Just my opinion, of course, but the problem I had with this game was that its premise was a COMPLETE LIE.

This was meant to be a game based on 'free-running', yet every level had perfectly to-the-very-footstep preconceived paths throughout every level, meaning you constantly had to stop to see where the next objective was. Way to break the flow of a free running experience! If anything Mirror's Edge is a memory puzzle with occasional gunfire.

There was no spontaneity in the movement throughout the levels at all. If you had the objective of "get from point A to point B" and you could use all your skills in the best way you could to find your own way to achieve that goal, then that would have been a true 'free-running' game. But no, you deviate from the pre-set path and you fall to your death. If it were a puzzle game, that would make sense, but when you have guys with machine guns running after you, stopping to look for the next glowy object to grab onto makes for a very stop-start-stop-start infuriatingly fragmented experience.

I appreciate the idea, and it was the hope of more open gameplay that compelled me to take it to the very end. In retrospect, however, I hated it completely.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Mirror's Edge is the most fun I've ever had playing a mediocre game.

Yeah, the story is stupidly bad and if you go into the concept art they talk about how they had plans for a SIGNIFICANTLY MORE INTERESTING story that they apparently decided to throw out completely. Yeah, the levels are often ridiculously linear and the "point me where to go" button is more confusing than helpful. Yeah, there was no reason for the designers to not simply make your objective more clear at points.

But it was still a damn fun game. The action is physically involving, and managed to make me feel like I was thinking about Faith's movements as if they were my own body. The visual style is really, really good looking and a much better example of the "future dystopia" look than a lot of games pull off. The sense of speed and fluidity are just plain fun to experience.

(Honestly, the gunfights didn't bother me. The bad guys feel just like any other obstacle you have to get past. Except, instead of doing chained wallruns and pole swings, you're doing slide kicks and disarms. I thought the combat felt like a pretty natural extension of the running mechanics.)

Jangles

Mar 12, 2010
I may be the only one here, but I think that Mirrors Edge was a magnificent game! It was so fast paced-as a good parkour ANYTHING should be! The overall plot may have been scrambled eggs, but the gameplay more than made up for that in my view.

Cornish

Mar 19, 2010
^ You're far from the only one. If you read a bit, you'll see that most people found it a wonderful game.

Oh, and Micheal Cook also writes for The Escapist? Also used to read the Runner.

Either-way, agree with a lot of the article, totally hated the fact that you had to finish the game once before you could play it decently. A few introduction levels (I.E, Faith getting back to the job without everything going to hell of the bat) would've being a great thing.

InvisibleMan

Mar 26, 2009
Phew! Just finished the story mode on "Hard" while avoiding killing any enemies! Got the "Pro Runner" and "Test of Faith" achievements at the same time...

I confirmed my previous statement about the combat system: every stage of the game is definitely designed so that the best course of action is NOT to engage the enemy in hand-to-hand combat or by shooting. Even in the last stage, which has the biggest number of heavy-armed enemies in probably the tightes space, the best route is to run around them and only engage (maybe) the last guard blocking your way out. I must admit it took me many, many tries, but now that I know that and which way to go, I could probably clear that area in record time.

Almost frustrating if you are not in the mental frame of the game...

layzeedave

Jun 7, 2010
As somebody that grew up playing the likes of rick dangerous. I found the fighting segments well fitting. There's a certain economy of action in determining what to do, the fight's are like a whole other puzzle. I suppose some people want only the parkour game as a puzzle. Well those people do have the time trials, but I digress.

I'm a long time PC gamer and I'm midway through my third or fourth playthrough, but using a joypad instead of mouse and keyboard. I can see why a lot of people don't like it now. I doubt I'll finish this playthrough.

hampiton

Mar 28, 2011
'Mirrors Edge failed.'

Considering how the game was widely received as being enjoyable and inventive, and also considering how there is a sequel in the works, that's a bad claim.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
heavyness said:
I made a conscious decision before I played the game, and that was not to use guns. And it paid off! Using a gun in Mirror's Edge cheapens the game (and the mechanics of shooting in the game sucked anyways). The guns felt like they were put in afterwards, like EA's usability came back saying "people want guns in a FPS game, so put guns in Mirror's Edge"...

Did the game have it's faults? Sure. About as much as any other game out there. But with EA committing to this IP, I can see the next Mirror's Edge is going to be great (lets hope they put in some online games of tag!)
Online tag in "the flow" would be a great idea. I already like that you can compete online for times. That's what I think a lot of people missed about Mirror's Edge. That at heart it's a racing game with no car. It's all about finding the line and maintaining momentum. Also whenever I hear someone talking about an "atrocious" story, I have to wonder 1. Do they know what that word really means? Also, 2. Could they write a better one? I doubt it. I don't think half of the stories from games that get panned to hell and back by people who could do no better, are as bad as the "critics" say. I bought Mirror's Edge on release and have never regretted it. Well done to all involved in this daring project. Oh yeah, and the other Still Alive is also great.

You'll notice in the original article although they say Mirror's Edge "failed" it sure didn't stop them from playing the hell out of it apparently.

Voration

Jan 13, 2010
I loved mirrors edge for its fast pacing and originality. The flaws can be improved upon in later versions of similar style gameplay. If there was a sequel, a better story would be appreciated though

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i love this game. its different and fun as hell. never had any major issues with the controls and i play it on the PC only. i started to play it again and im still having fun with it.
yes it is short and yes, the story is poorly explained (so as the rainbow six veags games) but the game play as such is really fun and enjoyable.
i hope part 2 will come out.