No PvP For Diablo 3 At Launch

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No PvP For Diablo 3 At Launch

Blizzard says the PvP Arena won't be included with Diablo 3 but will instead be added in a future patch.

We still don't know when Diablo 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Standard-Edition-Pc/dp/B00178630A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331570547&sr=8-1] will arrive, but the word out of Blizzard is that whenever it does, player-versus-player action - the "PvP Arena" - won't be a part of the package. That's the bad news; the good news, which I mention because someone is bound to ask, is that the studio isn't looking to monetize PvP, the system just isn't ready yet.

"As we're counting down the days until we're ready to announce a release date for Diablo 3, we've come to realize that the PvP game and systems aren't yet living up to our standards," Blizzard's Jay Wilson wrote on Battle.net [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4574895]. "We wanted to let you know that we've made the difficult decision to hold back the PvP Arena system and release it in a patch following the game's launch. After a lot of consideration and discussion, we ultimately felt that delaying the whole game purely for PvP would just be punishing to everyone who's waiting to enjoy the campaign and core solo/co-op content, all of which is just about complete."

"When the PvP patch is ultimately ready, it will add multiple Arena maps with themed locations and layouts, PvP-centric achievements, and a matchmaking system that will help you and your team get into fairly matched games quickly and easily. We'll also be adding a personal progression system that will reward you for successfully bashing in the other team's skulls," he continued. "We know a lot of you are looking forward to PvP, and we'll be focusing our post-launch efforts on making sure the Arenas are as brutal, bloody, fast-paced, and awesome as we know they can be."

As a general videogame principle, I'd rather wait for something good than get something half-assed right now, so in that light this could be seen as a good thing. The obvious downside, particularly for PvP fans, is that given the way Blizzard works, it could be an unfortunately long wait for the promised update to arrive. Cutting content at this late date in an effort to get the game out the door also leaves me a little bit leery about the overall state of the game; what else could end up feeling rushed or incomplete?

Wilson promised that more information about Blizzard's plans for post-launch PvP in Diablo 3 will be released "in the future."

d43dr34m3r

Sep 28, 2010
So PvP arenas for Diablo 3 will be coming out a couple weeks after the Starcraft 2 custom maps marketplace, right? I love Blizzard.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Between this and the whole re-designing of a lot of Diablo 2's core features, even "consolifing" them, this will result in an awful lot of complaining. Might not kill sales but still.

Least there's always Torchlight 2.

"enter the following: Mother Earth"

Bow chicka bow wow.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
I'm fine with this. Blizz is spectacularly bad at tuning PvP - they don't seem to have any simulators or stats sheets, just tweak things semi-randomly in isolation and hope there are no side effects (but there always are). If the PvE is done, don't make us wait another year for the PvP.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Qitz said:
Between this and the whole re-designing of a lot of Diablo 2's core features, even "consolifing" them, this will result in an awful lot of complaining. Might not kill sales but still.

Least there's always Torchlight 2.

"enter the following: Mother Earth"

Bow chicka bow wow.
Yey, Torchlight 2!

I really wish I gave my beta key to someone else. Diablo 3 is fucking boring. (And is setting a bad president: buying power).

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I don't really care about a lack of PvP at launch.
Who the hell says "GREAT! AFTER 10+ YEARS OF WANTING TO CONTINUE THE STORY LINE, I AM GOING TO BASH PEOPLE'S FACES IN WITH STARTING GEAR!!!" ? Very few people. Its like those guys that play Starcraft JUST for the multiplayer and NEVER touch the campaign... Ugh... They bother me so much >=/

I swear to god, if PvP balancing affects my PvE gameplay (like WoW), then I will ragequit D3 sooooo fast.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Don't worry Diablo 3 people I'm sure that PVP will be out in no time. Just ask the WoW people that were upset about the dance studio getting cut from the release of Wrath of the Lich King.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
What really gets me about all this is all this BS we got from Blizzard about how the game has to be multiplayer all the time or else players can mod it and unbalance the whole thing. But now, the one area where that actually matters, PvP, is not even going to be in the game at launch (and let's face it, may not even make it all)? This is downright despicable, especially from a company I used to think actually gave a damn.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Any other game, any other company, and I'd call them out for this BS... Not Diablo 3. I just want it out, and since I'm not that interested in pvp and it's something I'd try out after I've played my fill of the single player.... I'm happy with it.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Well that's disappointing. I really fail to see why they even wanted PvP in the first place - Diablo was and always will be an adventure dungeon crawler. That's something that is best single player or group co-op.

But if they were going to do PvP then it should have been designed from the ground up as a PvP game (and then it wouldn't be "Diablo") instead of trying to bolt PvP on at the end of designing a totally different kind of game. Why didn't Blizz learn this from WoW? The biggest problem with WoW PvP is that it's impossible to get the balance of classes right for BOTH solo/group gameplay in the world and PvP. They've been fighting with this forever - why couldn't they have made the decisions right up-front with a brand-new game?

They have some very talented designers (a lot fewer now) who can make good products, but they seem totally crippled from the overall game mission/strategy perspective. They're trying to make everything for everyone and that's a recipe for crap or at least bland results.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
So you draw the line HERE Blizzard? ಠ_ಠ

Jay Wilson said:
Shut up PvP guy!
Sorry, I just want to give you a nice big

to you Blizzard. I am dissapoint. I wanted to bash people at level 1.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
For me, PvP is the essential end-game and I won't consider D3 until they implement a pvp that players are generally satisfied with.

Working out class/skill combos and grinding for gear is only fun for so long without a competitive element, imo.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
No chat rooms for SC2 when it was released. And now it sucks and no one uses it.

Diablo PVP was never really a FEATURE. Just something that was in the game.

isometry said:
For me, PvP is the essential end-game and I won't consider D3 until they implement a pvp that players are generally satisfied with.

Working out class/skill combos and grinding for gear is only fun for so long without a competitive element, imo.
I played D3 for 7.5 years without ever having fun dueling.

Shadowcreed

Jun 27, 2011
The whole concept of an ONLINE game to me is the PvP feature - I love Co-Op and team based games but if you're launching a title as big as Diablo 3, as an Online game, then you'd better have PvP included in it. Why would you even make a game for online 24/7 without having the competitive element into it? If you're just aiming for PvE, to me its fine to just have a server with this and let people play on that, and have an offline campaign with co-op possibilities, maybe a separate co-op campaign mode. Splinter Cell did something similar, and it has a pretty solid offline campaign. If you're making an MMO, then you really should have a solid PvP element into it.

Regardless the long waiting period already I'll happily buy it with the PROMISE of PvP later on in the launch, and by later on I'm expecting a period of no more than 2-3 months, after that I'll put on my disappointed cape and nerdrage mask.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Ya know. I am now sick and tired of hearing about fucking Diablo 3. I don't give half a fuck about what they are or are not intending to put in it when it finally gets released at a time they STILL have not fucking decided.
How about this, how about Blizzard stops fucking us all around running their cunting mouths about the shitty Torchlight knock off and get to work finishing the fucking thing. The next report I want to hear about Diablo 3 had better include a fixed release date otherwise its no more valid than what the night janitor heard from a friend of a friend about what they may possibly be planning but will probably change anyway because thats what they fucking do.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Odbarc said:
No chat rooms for SC2 when it was released. And now it sucks and no one uses it.

Diablo PVP was never really a FEATURE. Just something that was in the game.

isometry said:

I played D3 for 7.5 years without ever having fun dueling.
Presumably you mean D2. And yes I played it for years as well, without dueling; Blizzard always stated that PvP was not a focus of that game. After D2 I found from other games that good PvP can really extend my enjoyment of the end-game. That's why team arenas were one of the main things that had me interested about D3.

I'm sure D3 will have great singleplayer and co-op, but I know for me that once I get a few alts to high level and explored the best build combinations, I will lose interest without the competitive PvP. That's why I want the game to have PvP before I start playing, so I know there will be something for me to do in the long-term if I commit to the game.