BioShock 2 Delayed to Fiscal 2010 - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioShock 2 Delayed to Fiscal 2010 - UPDATED

BioShock 2 [http://www.take2games.com/] has been delayed until the company's 2010 fiscal year, which could potentially push it all the way back to 2011.

According to its most recent financial update, BioShock 2 requires "additional development time" and will not be ready for the 2009 Christmas season. "We concluded that moving the release of BioShock 2 into fiscal year 2010 was the right decision for the product," said Take-Two Chairman Strauss Zelnick. "We believe the result will be a more compelling consumer experience and a better performing product in the marketplace."

"The decision to shift a release date is never an easy one, especially with a product as highly anticipated as BioShock 2," added CEO Ben Feder. "We felt that it was essential to invest the additional time to ensure that this title will deliver what its fans expect and deserve. As a result, we will now be launching sequels to several of our strongest franchises - including BioShock 2, Red Dead Redemption [http://www.mafia2game.com/] - during the next fiscal year."

Unfortunately for Take-Two, the delay of BioShock 2 exacerbates the difficulties it was already facing as a result of the poor economic climate and the company has thus been forced to reduce its guidance for the 2009 fiscal year. "We recognize that our revised outlook for the balance of fiscal year 2009, due to both internal and external factors, is a disappointment," Zelnick said. "Near-term retail conditions have proven to be more challenging for our business than the assumptions built into our prior outlook. We remain confident in the long term potential for Take-Two's business, and our ability to capitalize on that potential through our exceptional creative talent and solid balance sheet."

The news of the delay comes only three days after Take Two announced the addition of French studio Arkane [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93066-Arkane-Studios-Joins-BioShock-2-Team] to the BioShock 2 development team. At least one observer suggested at the time that bringing in an entire studio to help with the game's development when it was less than four months away from its scheduled release date could be a sign of impending trouble and possibly even a delay.

Yes, that was me.

BioShock 2 is now expected to come out sometime during Take Two's 2010 fiscal year, taking place between March 2010 and March 2011. We've dropped a line to Take Two asking for details and will update when we can.

UPDATE: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/13/bioshock-2-delayed-to-fiscal-2010/] has reported that Feder told investors BioShock 2 is now scheduled to launch in the first half of 2010. We'll continue to watch for updates.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
NOOOOO! I've been waiting for this for so long Take-Twom, how could you do this? They better be able to fix up most of the problems with it than.
*cocks shotgun* Don't worry. I've prepared for a situation like this.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
On one hand I want to rage, scream and curse the heavens for doing this to me. I had it marked on my calendar. On the other I do want the game to be perfect and if it needs more time to simmer so be it.

Either way this news ruined my day. Guess it is about time to rip some civilians in half to ease the pain.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Another one bites the dust. I hope everyone likes modern war and fabulous Italian assassins because it looks to be slim pickings otherwise.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Ah damn.

I shall add my voice to the chorus of sadness.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Well it gives me time to finish bioshock. Well it's better they take their time then release a bad game. Thats the mark of a good game maker.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
... As long as Painkiller Resurrection and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat aren't delayed too I'll be ok... for a while... hopefully...

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Oh noes! I.. need... cyanide... capsule!
xXGeckoXx said:
Well it gives me time to finish bioshock. Well it's better they take their time then release a bad game. Thats the mark of a good game maker.
True.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
Ah well, now I'll have more money this autumn. Also one less multiplayer to play so I am at least somewhat able to keep the sorrow in check...

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
Am I the only one that likes this?
Without the delay of a few games this year I could be looking at serious bankruptcy.