WoW Player Threatens to Hijack Plane

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
WoW Player Threatens to Hijack Plane

In a stunning display of absolute idiocy, an 18-year-old Indiana boy announced his intent to hijack an airplane while playing World of Warcraft.

There are a lot of stupid things you can do while playing WoW. You could forget to dismiss your Hunter pet before jumping off a ledge, pulling an entire dungeon's worth of enemies to your party. You could spend six thousand gold on the Auction House for the wrong item. You could accidentally attack a boss while your raid was preparing for the fight, getting everyone killed. These are all stupid mistakes WoW players have made in the past.

And then there's using the game to publicly announce your plans to commit an act of violent terrorism. That's a very special kind of stupid right there. One might even call it astoundingly idiotic.

The 18-year-old from Johnson County, Indiana, said that he "was going to board a plane at 7:30 to Chicago and that (he) was going to try and kill as many Americans as possible," reports Destructioid [http://www.destructoid.com/teen-threatens-to-hijack-plane-while-playing-wow-139788.phtml]. Apparently, the moron in question repeated this claim more than once, which I imagine is similar to smashing your foot with a sledgehammer, then repeatedly doing it over and over again to see if it'll still hurt.

Predictably, Blizzard employees saw the announcements and notified the proper authorities. The teen quickly backpedaled, claiming that someone had hacked his account, but that didn't stop the FBI from seizing his computer to investigate the incident further.

In all seriousness, what the hell did he think was going to happen? Did he think that everybody would respect him for being edgy? That they'd see him in Dalaran and fearfully whisper, "Oh hey, there's that badass who said he'd be a terrorist in real life" to their friends? It's hard to even fathom the mindset of somebody who could not foresee just how spectacularly this would backfire.

Ten bucks says he was a Blood Elf Death Knight.

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
That guy must be feeling pretty stupid right now. I blame video games!

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Oh my god...when the FBI said they were going terrorist hunting in WoW I pointed and laughed - but now the jokes on me.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Hhahaha how could one fellow contain so much stupidity? It is quite unfair of him to horde 97% of the world's stupidity I was thinking of burning my hand while juggling breakfast eggs but I can't because this man is keeping all the simple mindedness to himself. Jerk.

majeh13

Jul 23, 2008
Oddly enough, only the second stupidest/funniest thing I've heard in game. GM once said that Blizz cared about the gamers... heh.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
I blame WOW myself, and most of that multi-online stuff, it's a breeding ground for the evil, insane and deluded.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I'm as humored as I am mortified.
I seriously want to know what this kid was thinking..

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Jeez, that guy really is an idiot. That's like smashing your skull against a wall repeatedly to get two M&Ms in a dare from your friends.

Did that last part ryhme?

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
No goddamn way this is real, no way someone can be that idiotic. Who actually reveals their evil plans before they commit them, I mean c'mon!
Lex Luthor

Oh wait, you mean in the real world.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Scary, I live in Chicago and was on a plane to greece like a week ago.

What a dolt, If he was on my plane I woulda kicked his arse

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
The real crime here is that a member of the alliance wrote this article.

Obviously it was a Human Paladin thinking he could just bubble and get away with it and not a Blood Elf Death Knight.