GameStop Chops PlayStation 3's Price

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
GameStop Chops PlayStation 3's Price

Sony's top console has never been cheaper.

With so much chatter about the next generation of consoles hypothetically appearing in the near to moderately near future, we quickly approach that awkward time when you don't really want to buy anything currently out there. After all, who wants to drop a handful of Benjamins just to find out his or her purchase will be made obsolete within the year? While it's mostly impossible to break free of the obsolescence-fear cycle completely, certain things can help. And one of those things is a giant, lip-licking discount. Behold: GameStop's $199.99 160 GB PlayStation 3!

Console hardware discounts are hard to come by; not only is Sony likely still losing (or darn close to losing) money per console sold at the normal $249.99 price point, but retailers almost never up charge the merchandise from that cost to remain competitive. The resulting situation is what's nearly always a fixed cost until a system gets slapped with a permanent price slash. Could a price drop across the board be on its way, or is this simply a wacky limited offer?

The answer is unclear, but the 20% off isn't just a leaked image for some future promotion. It's legit. You can snag a brand new PS3 right this very second, Richard Garriott [http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/consoles/sony-playstation-3-160gb/92398]), but it's a far cry from the system's original retail launch price of $599.99 for the top-of-line 60GB model.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Holy shit!. I'd wish this applies to my country too, I swear people still think we're still in the 2006 60gb model era.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
20% is not a giant, lip licking discount. Comparing this price to the launch price isn't really fair play either. It's probably worth $199 for the Blu-Ray player and Netflix software alone. It has the best Netflix software of any device especially since Microsoft broke their video playback with that new UI. I read it was fixed but it still looks much worse than the PS3 on the same HDTV.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Looks like everyone but Sony will soon be in the Black
Ironically enough they were supposed to be available in white too.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Crono1973 said:
20% is not a giant, lip licking discount. Comparing this price to the launch price isn't really fair play either. It's probably worth $199 for the Blu-Ray player and Netflix software alone. It has the best Netflix software of any device especially since Microsoft broke their video playback with that new UI. I read it was fixed but it still looks much worse than the PS3 on the same HDTV.
Well, my friend, I can't force your tongue. We shall just have to agree to disagree about the level of financial reduction required to induce a lip lick.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Mike Kayatta said:
Crono1973 said:
Well, my friend, I can't force your tongue. We shall just have to agree to disagree about the level of financial reduction required to induce a lip lick.
Fair enough, I am used to Steam deals, 20% is nothing. I want 75% off or nothing...LOL.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Yes, something to spend all that spare cash I have on!

Wait, nope, that went to replacing my window and GPS, sorry Sony, thieves cost you a sale.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Even if I had the room in my TV stand for a PS3, I don't, I wouldn't buy one. I'll stick with my PC.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
What is this?!

*Goes to work to find out about this firsthand*

OT: This is good news. People are usually on the fence about getting a PS3 or a 360. I don't blame them when they choose the 360 because it's cheaper (On the short run).
I always thought being the most expensive console out there was a dumb move. I know there was a reason for this, but still.
Brad Shepard said:
oh you got to be shitting me, I just got one, DAMMIT!
Did you open it already? (I'm guessing yes).

I know GameStop will take it back if its still closed and you got the receipt and you bought it less than a month ago. But that's assuming you bought it there...less than a month ago...and you have the receipt...and you sat there staring at the box all this time. :/

I'm leaving now...

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Brad Shepard said:
oh you got to be shitting me, I just got one, DAMMIT!
If the return policy where you got it from is still valid, and they didn't scan the serial number or the box doesn't have distinguishing characteristics, then you can still do it.

Just buy the cheap one and return it to the other place using the receipt from there.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Well, this is pretty awesome... still a tad expensive... I mean, we're getting new ones pretty soon anyway...
But yeah, cool.

I've fallen out with my PS3, ever since it began to overheat like a motherlicker.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Seems to me to be a push to get rid of stock for the upcoming next generation consoles (though those still seem to be a ways off, so not completely positive of that).

Personally, I've grown tired of consoles. From the security problems, to the heavy handed bans for minor infractions (or in some cases, none) to the money grubbing ways of DLC and online passes....nothing from the news on consoles have made me happy I have one. The future doesn't look any better, with higher prices for both consoles and games, my desire to play a game can't overcome all the craziness involved in the industry right now.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Crono1973 said:
While I agree it has the best Netflix playback of the consoles, I'm not sure a 200 dollar asking price is so hot compared to BD players for a quarter of the price that are Netflix ready. Can't speak to their interfaces, but a dedicated BD player with Netflix is pretty cheap now.

Lonny

Apr 20, 2012
Why is console gaming so expensive? When I wanted to upgrade my aging 4 year old PC that was only used for email and youtube, it only took a $100 video card and a $30 memory stick for me to play current PC games on high settings.