Is World of Warcraft Facing a Ban in China? - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Is World of Warcraft Facing a Ban in China? - UPDATED

The Chinese government is reportedly investigating World of Warcraft [http://www.blizzard.com/] in the country and could end up imposing a permanent ban on the game as a result.

The Shanghai News and Publication Bureau is apparently conducting a "deep" investigation into Blizzard's relationship with expired earlier this year [http://corp.163.com/].

Unfortunately for Chinese fans of the game, the handover has not gone smoothly. When The9 halted service on June 7, NetEase wasn't ready to assume control of the operation and at last report the game still hadn't come back online. Now it looks as though the problems may go even deeper, as Blizzard is being accused of trying to skirt around Chinese laws that impose restrictions on the ability of foreign companies to operate online games in the country.

Blizzard may have gone beyond simply providing the game for NetEase to run and actually entered into a joint venture to operate the game in order to increase its take of the game's Chinese revenues, according to a report by mmosite.com [http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-07-14/20090714054025804.shtml]. But Chinese law forbids the operation of games in the Chinese market by foreign companies, even in partnership with a Chinese firm.

A media analysis of 2008 financial filings by NetEase initially brought suspicions about its deal with Blizzard to the attention of the videogame industry and the authorities. Two rumors have been swirling around the case ever since: One, that NetEase paid a "sky-high revenue share" in order to gain access to the game, which will quadruple the revenues Blizzard was earning in its deal with The9; and two, that the deal between NetEase and Blizzard, purportedly to provide technical support, is actually "a joint venture to operate World of Warcraft and other games."

Industry analysts in China have said that because the case involves "major regulations and policies," and presumably also the undisputed heavyweight champ of western MMOGs, it is "highly likely" that World of Warcraft's operation will be suspended while the investigation proceeds, assuming NetEase is able to (or bothers to) bring it online at all. If NetEase and Blizzard are found to be in contravention of the relevant laws, the punishment could include a permanent ban on the game in China; the current World of Warcraft downtime has led many Chinese gamers to move to the Taiwan server [http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/48574/World-Of-Warcraft-Languishes-Offline-In-China], but whether the authorities will allow that to continue if the game is permanently banned in China is unknown.

UPDATE: JLM Pacific Epoch [http://www.jlmpacificepoch.com/newsstories?id=152966_0_5_0_M] says the situation for World of Warcraft may not be as bad as it's been made out. Shanghai Municipal Bureau of Press and Publication Vice Director Chen Songqing said the GAPP's investigation into Blizzard and NetEase is standard procedure for any new business, while a "NetEase chief" also denied rumors of a possible ban, claiming the original report "is seriously inaccurate and its main points and language are inconsistent with the truth."

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Wow thats pretty insane, I would vouch a great deal of the 8million subscribers (?), are chinese, what a huge blow for them!

Wonder if they were dodging the law haha.

-Joe

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
News Flash! China bans something! Again!

Although banning WoW from China would be a pretty big economical blow. Lots of people = lots of money. Ouch.
Makes you happy not to live in a country that takes the piss out on games more than the writing of the occasional "video games might cause your children to become a satanist" article.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Part of me is saying "Jesus, thats over half the fanbase, this is pretty depressing" while the other half of me is saying "Fuck em. they were probably all gold farmers anyway."

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
CrafterMan said:
Wow thats pretty insane, I would vouch a great deal of the 8million subscribers (?), are chinese, what a huge blow for them!

Wonder if they were dodging the law haha.

-Joe
It went from something like 11 million to 6 million when the Chinese left. Blizzard are barely affected though, their subscription fee is almost nothing compared to outrs.

TheLastCylon

Apr 14, 2009
It's Tiananmen Square all over again! But this time instead of an unknown guy standing in front of the tanks it will be a level 80 Tauren Hunter.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
coxafloppin said:
Wow players aint gonna like that,.
As far as I'm concerned, they will - aren't chinese farmers generally hated on WoW? (Don't know exactly because I quit playing this game after about a week, the moment I realized I was forcing myself to keep on playing, just to see what all the fuss was all about).

WrongSprite

Aug 10, 2008
Fanusc101 said:
It's Tiananmen Square all over again! But this time instead of an unknown guy standing in front of the tanks it will be a level 80 Tauren Hunter.
I want somebody to photoshop that. NOW.

WrongSprite

Aug 10, 2008
Gladion said:
coxafloppin said:
Wow players aint gonna like that,.
As far as I'm concerned, they will - aren't chinese farmers generally hated on WoW? (Don't know exactly because I quit playing this game after about a week, the moment I realized I was forcing myself to keep on playing, just to see what all the fuss was all about).
Thought the Chinese had their own servers? Surely this won't affect everyone else.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
So China lose a game, that mostly Americans play. Something tells me the select few people in China that play WoW won't be that fussed, as they've got like five hundred games of the same kind to fall back on.

destroyer2k

Oct 12, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
So China lose a game, that mostly Americans play. Something tells me the select few people in China that play WoW won't be that fussed, as they've got like five hundred games of the same kind to fall back on.
Heh it is a little more then a five hundred the real number is five milions (but bilizard doesn't make any money out of them as the game card is cheap like hell so it only covers for server cost). So if the ban WoW then bilzard couldn't flash that 10 milion+ users.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
It cut the total player base in half. Yea...that's not a significant loss when you consider the lost subscriptions, and those players flocking to another MMO and boost its player base by insane numbers and turning it into a possible rival...

Warstratigier

Mar 28, 2009
Sparrow Tag said:
yes Americans....not including any European, Chinese, and any other country Blizzard has brought this game to.

NJ

Feb 12, 2009
There's alot of dough coming in from China, I'll be damned if Blizzard lets it go through one legal settlement.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Those wacky Chinese are always trying to be different, this time they're just copying the wacky Aussies.