Is World of Warcraft Facing a Ban in China? - UPDATED

saint-lloyd

Jul 18, 2009
The Great JT said:
Good, maybe that means we can finally put the Pandaren in the game without worrying about the fucking chinese getting offended.
Agreed , the Chinese are strict on regulations but is that really fare for the consumer?

johnthemon23

Jul 16, 2009
Chinese players who aren't gold farmers should be on the Chinese servers, so for US servers this is just getting rid of a lot of gold farmers, so ultimately good news for WoW players.

@Asehujiko, WoW never had 12 million.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Think Tiananmen Square would have gone differently if the student had of popped Divine Shield?

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Doug said:
seule said:
Doug said:
Zimbum said:
Wow. That sucks. China bans everything.
China's an authoritian one party state - its what they do.

Its not as bad as the great US ally Sudi Arabia, of course, which is an absolute monarchy where spies are everywhere and even a word of descent can get you deported.
Or the US itself which can deny you entry to the country because you have a name similar to someone on the FBI watchlist...
Erm, I think you're being pretty flipant about that - in Sudi Arabia, the King's word is law, and his royal princes can do what they want freely, including (it is said) murder and rape, and not have to face criminal prosecution because they are, in fact, the law.

As for China, I'll admit they are slowly getting better, but really, they still crack down on ANY disagreement, and are attempting to filter the internet to remove whatever they disagree with.

That VS a few cases of bloody minded stupidly by FBI guys doesn't really match up. Although it is sodding stupid
China? Getting better? I don't hate the people, they're all cool, but China can burn in a pit. It's government is so totalitarian people need permits to get married and have kids. Sometimes too expensive for most of the downtrodden that they are forced to sell their babies. People are grown up with total brainwashing. Children don't know about the massacre at Tianiamn Square. The government is still rooting for the geneoside of another country which the world is laying back jerking off to. If it is getting better, then I'd hate to imagine howso?

tucci

Jul 9, 2008
Yah i wonder how the Chinese government manages to block all the websites of stuff they don't want people to see

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
pimppeter2 said:
goldenjester said:
Wait...no more Chinese gold farmers? China's economy could collapse...
Which of course leads to the obious fact that the Us is behind this. War?
Oh you and I know it, the whole US government is trying to ruin China through WOW.
------------------------------------------------
I'm not surprised that China might think about banning WOW. After all it is a freedom of speech and their human rights record stops about 3-mushed-people-under-a-soviet-tank a go. I do my best not to support them in any way. The government (I believe that the general population are hard working, albeit repressed, people). The reason the government doesn't allow freedoms is because someone might clue into the repressed Cinema that their government is trying to work them to death.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
tucci said:
Yah i wonder how the Chinese government manages to block all the websites of stuff they don't want people to see
The cant get ALL of them, but they can shut them down with filtering software. Eventually someone finds a way around it but then that person commits suicide by shooting themselves in the back of the head and then jumping over a bridge.

Aedrial

Jun 24, 2009
Ghostkai said:
Think Tiananmen Square would have gone differently if the student had of popped Divine Shield?
Thats a little harsh, don't you think? Although I did laugh so I suppose I'm screwed too IF judgement day comes.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Anoctris said:
JWAN said:
tucci said:
The cant get ALL of them, but they can shut them down with filtering software. Eventually someone finds a way around it but then that person commits suicide by shooting themselves in the back of the head and then jumping over a bridge.
There's an episode of CSI:Miami I missed.
Holy crap, I better submit that. You've never herd of the former anti government people who mysteriously end up in rivers? In China it happens WAY more than you think. Same with Venezuela actually.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Anoctris said:
JWAN said:
Holy crap, I better submit that. You've never herd of the former anti government people who mysteriously end up in rivers? In China it happens WAY more than you think. Same with Venezuela actually.
I saw a doco about this bloke who got released after being held in prision for 20 years. He was touring the world, lecturing at Uni's about the oppressive policies in the PRC. During 1 such lecture at a British Uni, he got heckled by Chinese students, saying that he didn't know what he was talking about or that it was all old news. To be ignored by the same people who's civil rights you fought for and went to jail for must cut deep.
Was that guy pretty old? The people who did remember what it was like before communism would get heckled because they know what really happened. Those students have been indoctrinated like the kids prior WWII Japan. Or in Communist Russia. That's some dangerous stuff.