GameStop Joins With Valve For Retail Digital

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GameStop Joins With Valve For Retail Digital

GameStop will soon be offering Steam Wallet codes for sale in its U.S. stores.

"East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet," except perhaps at GameStop, which has entered into a deal with Valve, parent company of digital distribution behemoth Steam [http://store.steampowered.com], to offer Steam Wallet codes at all its U.S. locatdions.

"We are thrilled to be partnering with Valve on this new initiative," said Steve "Don't Call Me Stevie" Nix, GameStop's GM of Digital Distribution. "This gives even more options to customers now that they can put money in their Steam Wallet using cash, gift cards or trade credits through our convenient neighborhood locations."

What makes the deal notable is the fact that Steam is the tip of the "kill retail" spear, offering more than 1800 PC games and ridiculously good sales, all accessible from the comfort of your chair. Even retail releases of a lot of PC games these days make use of Steam DRM, which for some people makes a trip to the local store seem like a complete waste of time. So why did GameStop do this deal with the devil?

Necessity, primarily. Steam isn't going anywhere, so instead of trying to beat it, GameStop is joining up, making itself an integral part of the process. True, you don't have to go to the mall to score a Steam Wallet voucher, but for gamers without a credit card [or who don't want to use it online] or people buying gifts without any clue as to what their giftee actually wants, it's a very practical option. It's also another option for trade-ins and GameStop gift cards, both of which can be put toward Steam Wallet purchases.

Steam Wallet codes will be available from GameStop in $20 and $50 denominations. To find out more about how it works, head down to your local store or check out gamestop.com/steamwallet [http://www.gamestop.com/steamwallet].

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Funny thing is it is so incredibly easy to add funds to your Steam wallet when you are logged into steam as it is. The only reasons I can see this being a benefit is if someone doesnt have a bank account, cc and/or paypal to add from. Or they want to buy this as a gift. That is pretty much it.

It is a smart move on GameStop's part to link up with Steam since gaming is quickly moving to an all digital format.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I see your cunning plan, Gamestop. Offer customers $20 & $50 tokens for games that cost $60, necessitating two token purchases for a new release. It makes one twirl ones mustache just thinking about it.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Cousin_IT said:
I see your cunning plan, Gamestop. Offer customers $20 & $50 tokens for games that cost $60, necessitating two token purchases for a new release. It makes one twirl ones mustache just thinking about it.
Almost all pc games on steam cost $50

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
rolfwesselius said:
Cousin_IT said:
Agreed, with the exception of CoD and a few other titles that want to rip us for 60 bucks the rest are only $50 or less. Then there are the Steam sales that put the $60 games on sale for 25-33% off bringing the price down to $45-$50.

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Buretsu said:
rolfwesselius said:
Cousin_IT said:
Unless you want one of the bigger new releases, like Max Payne 3.

MP3 pre-order was on sale a couple weeks back for $48.99 so you just need to watch for their mid-week and weekend madness sales.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
If this just adds money directly to your steam wallet, then you will inevitably end up with odd amounts of change you will never ever be able to spend. Yes I am that obsessive compulsive. Other than that it's a pretty cool.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Finally, I can buy a game off of steam without worrying about my Credit card (I had a distrust of using a credit card online before. Having it stolen and having to get a new card has only made me more paranoid about it.)

Apr 28, 2008
Awesome news.

So... why don't they do Impulse cards?

You know, since they own Impulse now.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Hadn't even thought of the trade-in --> Steam card idea until I saw the specials box on Steam. In addition to gifting potential, this validates the idea's existence.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I really dont get why this is some sort of big deal. Gamestop sells, XBL point cards, PSN point cards a slew of MMO cash cards, and even some game specific digital distribution cards like say for fat princess of PSN.

So why is it that this feels more like steam being late to the party than Big evil gamestop bowing to their lord god and benevolent benefactor steam?

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]If this just adds money directly to your steam wallet, then you will inevitably end up with odd amounts of change you will never ever be able to spend. Yes I am that obsessive compulsive. Other than that it's a pretty cool.
Odd amounts can be applied to purchases. Sure that means that you will eventually have to use a credit card for something, but for the most part that's an inevitability with a retail to digital code.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
My interpretation is the conversation went like this:

Steam: We sell games online at cheap prices!

Gamestop: Hey, uh, let's be partners.

Steam: Whatever...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Irridium said:
Awesome news.

So... why don't they do Impulse cards?

You know, since they own Impulse now.
At the GameStop I frequent people can purchase a code for the game they want and when they get home they can redeem it on Impulse for the game.

On Topic: This is a good idea. I am surprised Valve never thought of doing this before till now. At least now I don't need to get a credit card just to use Steam.