GameStop Joins With Valve For Retail Digital

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Vault101 said:
porpoise hork said:
Funny thing is it is so incredibly easy to add funds to your Steam wallet when you are logged into steam as it is. The only reasons I can see this being a benefit is if someone doesnt have a bank account, cc and/or paypal to add from. Or they want to buy this as a gift. That is pretty much it.

It is a smart move on GameStop's part to link up with Steam since gaming is quickly moving to an all digital format.
transfering money from my bank account to paypal takes a good few days..this would be quicker/convineint

but yeah...damn shame they couldnt do this sooner
Though that may be true, if your bank account is attached to your paypal, it will charge the money to paypal then the funds will be taken from your account. You don't actually have to wait those couple of days for the transfer. It's kinda like online credit. My paypal balance is literally $0.00, never had to wait for a transfer.

My only gripe with these cards, or any kind of redeemable cards, is what if you're short 2 dollars for a purchase, you can't just go and buy a 2 dollar card, you have to buy 20 or 50 dollar cards. It's part of the reason why I just use Paypal and credit. No money lingering that may, or may not, get used.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
Though that may be true, if your bank account is attached to your paypal, it will charge the money to paypal then the funds will be taken from your account. You don't actually have to wait those couple of days for the transfer. It's kinda like online credit. My paypal balance is literally $0.00, never had to wait for a transfer.

My only gripe with these cards, or any kind of redeemable cards, is what if you're short 2 dollars for a purchase, you can't just go and buy a 2 dollar card, you have to buy 20 or 50 dollar cards. It's part of the reason why I just use Paypal and credit. No money lingering that may, or may not, get used.
it still has to take it out of my bank-account, and that still takes time...unless theres somthing Im missing, I did this once while online shopping and its really no different, the seller jsut gets an "e-cheque" and you jsut wait untill the funds come through

mabye my bank is just slow

I find it easyer to just put the money in my paypal account so if there is sotmhing I want to buy I dont have to wait

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Irridium said:
Awesome news.

So... why don't they do Impulse cards?

You know, since they own Impulse now.
Impulse has games? Even Sins has moved to Steam, now. I'm honestly surprised that Impulse still exists.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
This is good for everyone. Just get this out to the rest of the countries, and we'll all be happy with this great new thing.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Doesn't really make sense for Gamestop, but I don't see how this is a bad thing. Makes Steam more accessible for people without credit/debit cards! (It's great how as soon as you get one of these, you completely forget how terrible it was when you didn't have one XD )

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
I'd rather just get cash. Gift cards always end up with $2.17 or something on them that you can never spend. But to each their own. Some people like gift cards, I assume.

Besides, partnering with Gamestop could be a good move. I'm hoping eventually we can eventually trade in our "used" steam games for steam credit!

t3hmaniac

Mar 22, 2010
This could be a godsend to people who are having security issues with online purchases. The Steam library but you can access it with cash instead of having to share details online. Or if someone's between cards when the sales kick in.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Well the gift thing is fine but remember you pay sales tax no stuff bought in meatspace stores. Unless you are in a civilized state like Delaware.

My guess is the suckers in countries with VAT get to pay twice, once when they buy the card and again when they buy their steam game.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
I see your cunning plan, Gamestop. Offer customers $20 & $50 tokens for games that cost $60, necessitating two token purchases for a new release. It makes one twirl ones mustache just thinking about it.
Most brand new AAA games cost $49.99 on Steam.

Their only victory is that the OCD people will die from the one cent left in their Steam wallet.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
...to offer Steam Wallet codes at all its U.S. locatdions.
Spell checkers are still ok by forum guidelines, right? :p

OT: yay for retail rolling over and yielding to the changing times. It's not like you saw Steam offering GAME vouchers, after all...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Im sure people who hat egamestop will still find a way to spin this to make it negative despite the positive step.

but I dont use steam, so this doesnt really concern me. Though i am glad to see gamestop at least trying to stay in the market.

mbourgon

Feb 11, 2010
Literally walked into a Gamestop today - first time in years. There were, I believe, 5 PC games, and the 2 steam cards. If that's the best they can do, they deserve to die sooner rather than later.